Author Topic: leaking sump plug  (Read 789 times)

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
leaking sump plug
« on: September 04, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
hi guys
i had a service a few weeks back, when the mechanic removed the sump plug, which was tight, it pulled out half of the threads. he had to drill & rethread the hole and put in the next largest sump plug.
however its just startred to leak and tightening it up, felt like the threads were going again.
without having to replace the ally sump, is there a better way to seal the plug better?
would a 'dowty' seal suffice? - (a metal seal with a rubber insert).

has anyone ever had this issue & how did you sort it?

thanks
'deny everything Baldrick'

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: leaking sump plug
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 12:25:42 PM »
I regularly use dowty seals for sump plugs, oil line fittings etc, I keep a wide range of them on the shelf "just in case". They are almost always NBR rubber so fine with all sorts of lubricating oils at sensible temperatures (not recommended for brake fluid nor really coolant, though you'll get away with NBR for coolant).

They ought to have used a thread insert (helicoil etc) for a std plug rather than increase the size. The most likely problem will be that it hasn't been tapped square, they'll have probably done it free-hand so up to the skill of the operator. Perhaps you can judge whether it is seating square or if the plug is at an angle to the seal face.

One way to do a temporary fix is to back out the plug a bit, wind PTFE tape round the exposed part, and carefully retighten. Best to wind the tape round so it winds on as you tighten it (rather than unwinds, if you get my drift). Obviously this is only suitable if the threads are strong enough to stay put until the next oil change, only you can judge that.

fatlad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »
I regularly use dowty seals for sump plugs, oil line fittings etc, I keep a wide range of them on the shelf "just in case". They are almost always NBR rubber so fine with all sorts of lubricating oils at sensible temperatures (not recommended for brake fluid nor really coolant, though you'll get away with NBR for coolant).

They ought to have used a thread insert (helicoil etc) for a std plug rather than increase the size. The most likely problem will be that it hasn't been tapped square, they'll have probably done it free-hand so up to the skill of the operator. Perhaps you can judge whether it is seating square or if the plug is at an angle to the seal face.

One way to do a temporary fix is to back out the plug a bit, wind PTFE tape round the exposed part, and carefully retighten. Best to wind the tape round so it winds on as you tighten it (rather than unwinds, if you get my drift). Obviously this is only suitable if the threads are strong enough to stay put until the next oil change, only you can judge that.

dowty seal worked a dream - thanks for that

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 11:46:26 AM »
Take it back to the chap that did the job.
Neil Ives

fatlad

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 09:40:48 PM »
Take it back to the chap that did the job.

i did & he fitted a dowty seal..

thanks

Tags: