Author Topic: Replacing spark plugs  (Read 1382 times)

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Replacing spark plugs
« on: June 16, 2021, 09:09:41 AM »
About to replace my first generation jazz with a second generation. I do all my own servicing and first generation was straightforward but I’ve just watched a video of some American changing them and he seems to have taken a lot of the car apart. I was wondering is it not easier to remove the intake manifold plenum that goes over the top? I had to do that on a Chevy spark in the past and it was straightforward. To be fair I’ve not had a proper look at it yet, but seems bonkers to take half the car apart! Or is this the actual dealership approved maintenance?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:27:49 AM by Keekster71 »
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Replacing spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »
I've not replaced the spark plugs on my car yet. I am trusting that the Honda dealer did the job when they invoiced the previous owner for it! Mind, I've had cars where work has been invoiced and not done.....Ford Focus pollen filters being a case in point.

This is the forum post I have bookmarked for when I will doing the job. https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8028.msg39360#msg39360

Removing the cowl to get at the plugs is about 15 mins apparently and makes access so much easier. I would hazard a guess that it would be easier than removing intake plenum. That said though, if you do it that way and it is easy, please do post a 'how to'.  ;)

If you've not found it already, the manual for the car is here: http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »
I've not replaced the spark plugs on my car yet. I am trusting that the Honda dealer did the job when they invoiced the previous owner for it! Mind, I've had cars where work has been invoiced and not done.....Ford Focus pollen filters being a case in point.

This is the forum post I have bookmarked for when I will doing the job. https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8028.msg39360#msg39360

Removing the cowl to get at the plugs is about 15 mins apparently and makes access so much easier. I would hazard a guess that it would be easier than removing intake plenum. That said though, if you do it that way and it is easy, please do post a 'how to'.  ;)

If you've not found it already, the manual for the car is here: http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

Not a problem to remove the metal scuttle - no need to remove wiper motor just take bolts out and slide the metal scuttle from under it - mind out for spacers on the bolts.   You have a fair bit of access once the scuttle is out the way and can actually see what you are doing, by removing the intake you can get your arms in but would have to work by 'feel'. 

Info on spark plugs

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9164.0
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:13:30 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments and links. Having had a look at a few videos it doesn’t look too bad. Snapping the clips looks like a problem so worth buying spares in advance. Also looks easier just to leave the wiper motor on the scuttle panel when you pull it out, to avoid dropping the spacers. I suspect once I’ve done it once, it will take less time the next time. At least you only have to change 4 on a second generation!
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »

I’ve had a look at that manual, not very easy to find specific instructions  :( fir example changing the cvt oil!

jamesdean

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 12:59:10 PM »
If you are blessed with small hands then I suggest that you disconnect the brake reservoir and CAREFULLY put to one side. Now easing your left hand into the tight space revealed BEHIND the top of the engine gently extract No.1 coil/plug cap (DO NOT DROP THE 2 FIXING NUTS). Lower an appropriate plug socket into the deep well, deftly followed with the correct extension and now attach the socket bar. Be certain you are rotating in the correct DIRECTION and watch your knuckles!! Original plugs may be VERY tight. Fit the new replacement with care; I use rubber pipe over the top of plug or the extension alone to get on the right thread. Tighten appropriately. Now, without refitting No.1 coil, work on No.2. and repeat for the rest [ I number the coils with Tippex ]  I have done this twice on my 177k Jazz and I found it less tedious than the usual recommendation to remove ageing panels and wiper motors.
Make sure you have all the correct tools and leave loads of time for this fiddly task.

ssashton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 2012 L12B
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »
Hi I'm a new Jazz owner!

Can someone please confirm the correct spark gap for the L12B engine?

Thanks!

For future reference the the right ones are supposed to be:

NGK: IZFR6K13
DENSO: SKJ20DR-M13

Gap: 1.2−1.3 mm (0.047−0.051 in.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 03:09:50 PM by ssashton »

charles yates

• Approved Member
  • reformed derver
  • Fuel economy: 53mpg
  • My Honda: 2018 1.3 jazz se
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »
Hi I'm a new Jazz owner!

Can someone please confirm the correct spark gap for the L12B engine?
you can also use denso IK20 and VK20 iridium
Thanks!

For future reference the the right ones are supposed to be:

NGK: IZFR6K13
DENSO: SKJ20DR-M13

Gap: 1.2−1.3 mm (0.047−0.051 in.)

Tags: