Author Topic: Used car prices going crazy.  (Read 2506 times)

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
Used car prices going crazy.
« on: June 13, 2021, 09:41:40 AM »
Reading that used prices were through the roof I checked out (purely for interest) what webuyanycar would give me for mine.
Appears it’s worth £750 more than I paid 3 months ago!
Shame I love it really coz there’s no way I’m going to flog it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Used car prices going crazy.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »
I firmly believe it is just a temporary blip caused by post lockdown demand. Yesterday I visited both a Toyota and Honda dealer. The forecourts were devoid of customers. Might be a lot of business for them online, no way of knowing, but in person, the plots did not reflect the news stories of customers stampeding towards dealers!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »
I did read somewhere that a particularly buoyant part of the used market was in the "banger" category. £2000 or less basically and this was thought to be caused by people being unwilling to risk public transport due to Covid.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »

All part of the grand plan of the central funksters and debt pedalers to try and kick life into a failing economy as part of their much vaunted MMT 'great reset'. Seems we are facing a growing scenario of asset inflation spilling over into consumer pricing against a very real problem of dwindling purchasing power in the context of shrinking productivity and demographics. Meanwhile, the reality of wear and tear will unfailingly come to the fore, except, that is, for us Jazz drivers. 100,000 round the corner for me and only just run in. Fingers crossed, of course  :)

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 12:50:47 PM »

All part of the grand plan of the central funksters and debt pedalers to try and kick life into a failing economy as part of their much vaunted MMT 'great reset'. Seems we are facing a growing scenario of asset inflation spilling over into consumer pricing against a very real problem of dwindling purchasing power in the context of shrinking productivity and demographics. Meanwhile, the reality of wear and tear will unfailingly come to the fore, except, that is, for us Jazz drivers. 100,000 round the corner for me and only just run in. Fingers crossed, of course  :)
"Central funkster and debt pedalars"  ;D ;D Brilliant. I've just had to google MMT, but I know what that is. Keynesianism economics. My head aches now. The numbers involved are not possible for mere mortals to comprehend.......https://www.usdebtclock.org/  :o

A dealer principle, yes that is how quiet they were, was pitching the current Honda pcp on a Civic G10. The term "we give you" was used so many times it was bordering on misleading. Ultimately, it works out that I hand over £13+k to 'borrow' a car for 3 yrs and then give it back to them. Now, this must make sense to some people, and the APR of 4.9% seems low enough, but I am of the opinion that should I spend £13+k, I want to at least have something to show for it other than 36months of car hire.

I liked the Civic 10 a lot, crazy styling and felt very premium. They just have a bit more depreciating to do and then I could see one on our driveway. Oh, and I will be spending less than £13k and actualy own the car from bumper to bumper. 

I don't think I will be visiting another gin palace for a while.

Our 2013 Jazz has just clicked over 96000 miles and still feels like a 3yrs old car to me.  :D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »
Car sales must be picking up.

Back in Feb when I had my Civic serviced I made noises about a MK4 Jazz. I had about 4 emails and 2 phone calls in March. I explained I'm waiting for Sep and the MY22 so he said he'll call me June for the test drive.

So far no call.
Let's be careful out there !

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 01:08:17 PM »

"Central funkster and debt pedalars"  ;D ;D Brilliant. I've just had to google MMT, but I know what that is. Keynesianism economics. My head aches now. The numbers involved are not possible for mere mortals to comprehend.......https://www.usdebtclock.org/  :o

A dealer principle, yes that is how quiet they were, was pitching the current Honda pcp on a Civic G10. The term "we give you" was used so many times it was bordering on misleading. Ultimately, it works out that I hand over £13+k to 'borrow' a car for 3 yrs and then give it back to them. Now, this must make sense to some people, and the APR of 4.9% seems low enough, but I am of the opinion that should I spend £13+k, I want to at least have something to show for it other than 36months of car hire.

I liked the Civic 10 a lot, crazy styling and felt very premium. They just have a bit more depreciating to do and then I could see one on our driveway. Oh, and I will be spending less than £13k and actualy own the car from bumper to bumper. 

Our 2013 Jazz has just clicked over 96000 miles and still feels like a 3yrs old car to me.  :D

£13,000 will buy a nice nearly new  approved Honda  in first class condition with reasonable mileage, and, it is yours to enjoy for probably 10 years, not 3. you will save on depreciation and insurance,  and Honda approved cars come with 7 days of free insurance and the right to return the car if the vehicle is not satisfactory subject to a few conditions, I believe 1 month or 1000 miles of ownership.
Met an owner of a newly delivered Dacia Sandero, £7995, he told me there is a lengthy waiting list of several months of these basic  cars,  showing me over his  car, there was not too much too criticise.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 01:28:19 PM »

Yes, indeed.

Yep. It's a funny thing, but as a Jazz owner, I spend an inordinate amount of time looking for faults or flaws. The list is about 6 at the moment and I am desperately trying to add another one without too much luck so far. It's really frustrating  8)

PS - I was travelling at the legal limit on the dual carriageway the other day and needed to get a move on into the fast lane in anticipation of some lane congestion ahead. That little egg beater under the bonnet never ceases to impress with a sweet and seamless power flow when pressed at higher revs which is probably also why the BMW on the inside lane looked a little confused.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 11:18:53 AM »
Meanwhile some Honda dealers are offering 10%off the price of a new Jazz, so there is not much demand.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »
I got some Carwow quotes for a brand new Civic 10G 1.0 SE. If I take it on PCP Honda dealers are giving a discount of 19.2%. One can settle the PCP once it's set up and take advantage of the saving. Yeah, there are deals to be had.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »
Over on the Civic forum there are owners of the 10G 1.0 and they are perfectly happy with it .............. until they are given a 1.5 as a loaner, then they wish they'd gone for that.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 06:16:32 AM »
Just checked mine:

Dec 19 £5,520
Dec 20 £5,000
Today £5,625

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 08:17:44 AM »
Meanwhile some Honda dealers are offering 10%off the price of a new Jazz, so there is not much demand.

Please post details of the Dealer offering 10% off,  does the discount apply to  Dealer supplied finance or cash purchase?
If the buyer does not have a vehicle to part exchange, is the discount still applicable?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »

Please post details of the Dealer offering 10% off,  does the discount apply to  Dealer supplied finance or cash purchase?
If the buyer does not have a vehicle to part exchange, is the discount still applicable?

A lot of people do not like all the tech in latest cars, they switch as much of it off a possible anyway. Older cars are a lot simpler and cheaper to fix. For people who do not cover big mileage the extra MPG in latest cars does not justify the much greater complexity for them.  As for getting a newer car to be able to drive into Birmingham clean air zone, I do not care if I never drive into Birmingham again ( last time I went in was to NIA, and the streets around it were like a war zone with whole blocks of streets closed off - getting away from NIA later entailed sitting in traffic jams for over an hour just to get onto M6 as people tried to find a way out, only to keep coming across streets that were closed off ).  The clean air charge will be the final nail in the coffin of the high street shops of any town or city that introduces one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:53:42 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 10:02:54 AM »
Just checked mine:

Dec 19 £5,520
Dec 20 £5,000
Today £5,625
Interesting figures that prove the point initialy raised in the thread. Are they the WBAC figures?

Reading recent news regarding govt financial support easing, business struggling and thousands of tennets facing massive issues when eviction restrictions end, I still say this is just a bubble. I might be wrong (not for the first time!) but I reckon come the first few frosts of the year, the market will cool and there will be lots of folk owning metal they can't keep up the repayments on.

I've looked at the performance of the 1.5 G10, and it is a very grunty motor. By the time we get one, I would be very happy to consider the 1.5 and it would certainly be worth the 10% £extra!

Tags: