Author Topic: Which Engine Oil for Mk 4  (Read 2139 times)

Jazztones

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk IV
Which Engine Oil for Mk 4
« on: June 13, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
Hello

New user and new owner of an ex-demo 2020 SR Mark4.

Which brand and specification (in the UK) of engine oil are people using to top up? Is it advisable to use Honda’s own? 

I’m further confused by the fact that the spec on the filler (ACEA C5) is different to that shown in the owners manual for UK and European models, which is ACEA C2, although the corresponding specification is the manual  says Honda Engine Oil type 2.0 or a commercial ACEA C5 0-20 W

Thanks

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Which Engine Oil for Mk 4
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:57:33 AM »
My guess is that the picture of the cap in the manual is wrong. The text says C5 both there and on the specifications page.

ACEA C5 is a lower viscosity spec than C2.

Mellorshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »
Over 10 years of jazz ownership, never had to top up between annual services  :D

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 11:48:31 AM »
Over 10 years of jazz ownership, never had to top up between annual services  :D

Same here, Jazz, HRV and now new Jazz. As I have 5 years servicing included, the dealer changes the oil too.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Jazztones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk IV
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
Thank you for those answers so far, interesting.

I thought I’d read in the manual it could use a litre of oil every 1000km (?) We too have 5 yr service included and it’s due its first next month so maybe I’ll wait. It had 4.4K when we got it and we’ve only done 750 miles but don’t know if the dealer checked it or topped it up as part of the approved used check.  The level looks ok I just wanted to have a litre in the boot before doing a long staycation trip.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 12:23:41 PM by Jazztones »

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 02:49:47 PM »
Herself's old Jazz, a 2011 plate Mk2 did need a litre of oil about six months ago.

She tends to do a lot of short trips in a day in her work. She did have the automatic service notifications turned off, though, and I suspect should have been following the "heavy use" servicing schedule instead of annual.

In contrast, my 2008 plate Mk2 would ask for an A service about once every 9 months, and was running well with double the mileage of hers (mine was 140,000 miles; hers about 75,000).

She now has a Mk4 like me.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 04:27:56 PM »
is the recommended oil grade 0/20 ?

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »
is the recommended oil grade 0/20 ?

0W-20. This is the table in the Specifications

Hicardo

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 04:47:39 PM »
cheers

for those that pay for their services themselves, dealers charge an arm and a leg for oil.  you can buy 5 litres 0/20 oil on eBay for 25 - 30 quid - of the right spec.  I ask the price of service minus the oil, then request they use my oil - and no garage ever refused to do that.  At Toyota this meant I was saving about 40 quid on that alone.  at Suzuki, it was even more of a saving I seem to remember.  If you had a Bentley, you'd probably be saving about 500 quid  ;D ;D

An Audi dealer had told a female friend a few years ago, that she shouldn't use any oil other than Audi oil in her A4 for which they wanted some exorbitant price.  They can be cheeky b@stards...... :(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 08:18:11 PM »
cheers

for those that pay for their services themselves, dealers charge an arm and a leg for oil.  you can buy 5 litres 0/20 oil on eBay for 25 - 30 quid - of the right spec.  I ask the price of service minus the oil, then request they use my oil - and no garage ever refused to do that.  At Toyota this meant I was saving about 40 quid on that alone.  at Suzuki, it was even more of a saving I seem to remember.  If you had a Bentley, you'd probably be saving about 500 quid  ;D ;D

An Audi dealer had told a female friend a few years ago, that she shouldn't use any oil other than Audi oil in her A4 for which they wanted some exorbitant price.  They can be cheeky b@stards...... :(

Audi engines guzzle oil - do they supply enough spare oil to last till next service ....

http://www.audicomplaints.com/oil-consumption/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 09:20:42 PM »
My guess is that the picture of the cap in the manual is wrong. The text says C5 both there and on the specifications page.

ACEA C5 is a lower viscosity spec than C2.
https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html
Yes, C2 is a slighty more protective oil since the HTHS number is higher, but it could be less economy saver.
The Acea Cx spec is mandatory to avoid GPF damaging.
As far as I can know, the first  factory filling in Japan should be an Idemitsu 0W20.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:28:06 PM by jazzaro »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 10:18:10 AM »
Audi engines guzzle oil - do they supply enough spare oil to last till next service ....

One of VAG groups finest that. The TFSI 1.8 and 2.0. ::) Timing chains, oil burning due to piston rings and VAG being their usual deplorable selves on resolving the issue. If you were very unlucky, you might have ordered your VAG car with a 1.8 TFSi engine and a DSG gearbox. Good for an ornament, bad for driving!

Lots of reports here of real world experience. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

And even after diesel gate and all evidence, they still sell in huge volumes??? The power of the badge... :D :D 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 11:01:00 AM »

One of VAG groups finest that. The TFSI 1.8 and 2.0. ::) Timing chains, oil burning due to piston rings and VAG being their usual deplorable selves on resolving the issue. If you were very unlucky, you might have ordered your VAG car with a 1.8 TFSi engine and a DSG gearbox. Good for an ornament, bad for driving!

Lots of reports here of real world experience. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

And even after diesel gate and all evidence, they still sell in huge volumes??? The power of the badge... :D :D

Yeah, some people still gullible / naive / uninformed enough to believe in the 'perceived quality' of german cars - maybe because the germans keep telling people they are high quality,  and they are selling an aspiration / lifestyle not a vehicle per se ( just like the Milwaukee tractor factory AKA Harley-Davidson ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hicardo

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 04:25:25 PM »
Its actually really hard to pin down what VW do wrong sometimes and the logic of it. 

My Golf is the latest one mid spec with a 1.5 eTSI mild hybrid with the DSG, and it is a really good car.

9 months into ownership and it does pretty much everything well.  8)

Classy, quiet, fuel efficient, refined, great long distance comfort, hi-tec. 

the only thing I can pull it up on so far is the infotainment which when working is impressive, but honestly, the number of times I have to reboot the 'king system, its not funny anymore.  thats just to get stuff to work. however, curiously it is starting to become more reliable in this regard, so perhaps its taking some over the air updates, I dont know.  also, im learning its foibles. 

These are a completely avoidable set of issues, VW just needed to test the infotainment better and iron out the bugs, When its fully functional -  its very impressive.  the Golf also has some silly things like unlit temperature and volume touch keys, which are effectively then useless in the dark.  you can speak to the car however, to make whatever change you want to these settings, so all is not lost.  just seems a bit daft.  overall though a 4.5 out of 5 for me on 9 months ownership.  total reliability from drivetrain perspective.  feels like it will last well. 

I take delivery of the Crosstar this week, so am hoping for great things, and none of this type of problem.  Golf averages 49.8 mpg in mixed driving over 5800 miles, and im sure the Crosstar will easily beat that.  ;D  the acid test for the Crosstar will be the long distance economy and comfort - the Golf is a tough act to follow on a long trip. :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 01:38:15 PM »

Tags: