Author Topic: Jazz 2011 Remote Central Locking Not Working, Fixed.  (Read 2976 times)

TonLJ

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2011
Jazz 2011 Remote Central Locking Not Working, Fixed.
« on: June 10, 2021, 12:00:02 PM »
In case it helps anyone else:
My mother's 2011 Jazz remote locking fob(s) stopped working. I have no idea
what may have triggered this. Both fobs were working (red LEDs came on when
buttons were pressed), but the car would not respond.

On top of that were some other symptoms.
1. The key would lock/unlock the driver's door, as one would expect, being a
mechanical connection, but would not activate the central locking to do the
other doors.
2. The Master lock switch on the door would not do anything unless the
ignition was on.
3. The button (or 'tab' as they call it) next to the driver's door handle
would lock/unlock all the doors if the ignition was on, but with it off, the
button would lock/unlock only the driver's door.
4. The courtesy light would not come on regardless of the switch position,
and the map lights would not work.

Years ago in another context I had heard of resetting electronics by
connecting a car's positive and negative leads (with the battery
disconnected of course). Before 'risking it', I put a DVM on its voltage
setting between the Jazz's positive and negative leads, and got a reading of
0.01V.
Next I put the DVM on its current setting, and got a very small reading for
just an instant. Finally I touched the positive and negative leads together.

With the battery refitted everything was back to normal.  Now I am anxiously
waiting to see if it will repeat the problem some day.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere (I did look but could not find
it).

Harley Dave

• Jazz newcomer
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 EX-L CVT 1.4 with 16,000 miles in Alabaster Silver
Re: Jazz 2011 Remote Central Locking Not Working, Fixed.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »
When you connected your multimeter, set to measure current, across the battery leads, you were effectively shorting them together.

I assume this discharges "something", which had been holding a voltage, and in turn, preventing "something else" from working.

Glad it's working now and at least you'll know what to do next time (assuming it happens again) but I suspect there is something else amiss, which causing the initial problem (voltage build up and retention)

Are all the fuses OK?

Cheers

Dave

TonLJ

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 05:03:15 PM »
Yes indeed.  Although I knew I was on safe ground with such a low voltage I wanted to see how long the discharge would take, and it's always nice to have the additional safety of an overload cutout (as part of the DVM).  The final shorting of the leads was arguably not necessary but a nice 'just in case'.

Capacitance in circuits is very common.  I could cite various examples.  Why that capacitance should prevent "something else" from working will remain a mystery - modern electronics are so complex that it would take PD well beyond my capabilities to fathom.  The bizarre combination of symptoms made me think this was not going to be an easy thing to analyse!

I assume we are all familiar with the occasional need to reboot or power down digital devices which have 'got their knickers in a twist' - software issues are resolved by a simple reboot but if a full power down is needed the problem must be an electrical one.  We never have any idea what caused it, and 99.9x% of the time it does not recur.

I was not going to check _all_ the fuses (!) but I did of course check the appropriate ones.

I had some faith it would work because of the fact that I had picked up the tip from another auto forum years ago, and if it can resolve a problem with one car, why not another?

PS/Stop press!:  Writing this reply spurred me into doing a little research and although it took me a while (why is it sometimes so hard to get the right terms to put in a google search?) I was amazed by how many videos there are on YouTube if you search for eg "How To Reset ECUs".

This is clearly a common/world-wide/manufacturer-independent issue.  I think this forum (or indeed any forum) would benefit from an FAQ on the lines of "any bizarre electrical problem, do an ECU reset".  When I was searching this forum I found lots of people with similar problems, many of whom got no advice.

Cheers
Tony

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 12:17:40 PM »
The reason you'd need to short out the power is that many modern ECUs take microamps when in sleep mode, and that can adequately be supplied by residual charge in smoothing/filter capacitors for many minutes or even hours in the absence of battery voltage.

Tags: