Author Topic: White smoke from the rear right wheel  (Read 1159 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
White smoke from the rear right wheel
« on: June 12, 2021, 06:04:42 PM »
Hi there,

I was driving yesterday for 5 minutes and smelt some burning rubber, I then stopped the car and saw white smoke was coming out from the rear right wheel. The wheel was so hot too.

I then let it cool down for 45 minutes and continued with my journey but did stop twice in between to see if any smoke or hot wheel. It was not afterwards.

Ive changed both rear calipers to new one's which bought on Internet for £46 each. Ive read many posts on here saying this caliper issue is a well known issue on Jazzes.

How can we win this war? Or could the problem lays with the hand brake or the cable whatever...?

Ive still got the original Honda two rear callipers and should I refurbished them with this company called "Biggred", would that give guaranteed results atleast? It is really frustrating as I really like my 2006 auto jazz and I only got it 6 months ago...

I'm not a mechanic,  so please think you're advising a dumber and use plain English kindly:-)

Tia!

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
Re: White smoke from the rear right wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »
We’ll fight them on the forecourt’s, we’ll fight them on the hard shoulder, we’ll never surrender!

I’ve no idea, but I’m sure some kind , educated soul on here will  ;D

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »
Blimey, that sounds like excitement you could do without. Stressful.

OK, from the smell of burning rubber, I'm thinking tyre. Have you checked the tyre?

The other rubber I think it might be is the caliper sliding pin boot. If your caliper siezed/severly dragging, which would account for the heat, it might have got hot enough to melt the boot to the point of smoking.

Have a look at eBay item number: 331774334522

I would suggest that is the situation. I would check to see if this is the case. If it is, buy the item above and fit the new parts. Clean everything when re fitting the caliper and make sure it is moving freely.

Hope that helps/make sense.  :D If not, ask away.

If you take the wheel off and are not sure, post a photo or two so we can 'see'.

This forum thread has a video that could answer a lot of questions https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12830.0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:30:29 PM by Westy36 »

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »

Ive still got the original Honda two rear callipers and should I refurbished them with this company called "Biggred", would that give guaranteed results atleast?

I had to replace the front calipers earlier this year with ones from Bremtech supplied by Brakes International when one of the calipers seized.  Steam was rising from the caliper when I sprayed it with water.   I've not replaced the rear calipers, as they are working along with the handbrake for the moment.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's as to whether a refurbished caliper is as reliable as a cheap new replacement.  Non-Honda parts would be used to refurbish the old caliper.   

The rear calipers are more complicated because they have the handbrake mechanism and auto-adjuster, both of which may be more likely to go wrong if poor quality components are fitted ?

Like yourself, I was pondering with the idea of fitting cheap rear calipers. Then perhaps refit the originals refurbished by BigRed.   Keep the cheap set as spare parts.

In your situation, the alternative is just do nothing and simply replace the faulty cheap calipers with a different brand when they fail outside the warranty!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:30:43 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:34:39 AM »
With disc brakes the pads are always dragging on the disc - unlike drums where there are springs to positively retract the shoes.  Normally this does not cause a problem ( except it does absorb some power ) the problem happens - mainly on the rears where the equalising pins get crudded up and keep one / both of the pads in harder contact with the disc, the other thing on the rears is there is a separate mechanism acting on the pads in the form of handbrake mechanism.   The burning rubber was undoubtedly the brake seals and fluid melting and vapourising - dragging brakes have caused many vehicle fires.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 12:11:35 PM »
White smoke from the Vatican means a new pope..... but from brakes - that is entirely a different matter
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 01:28:50 PM »
Having had a quick look at your other posts, I think it is time to find another garage to get on top of your brake issues, you should not be having the troubles that you have.

mj1sjc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 04:43:39 PM »
Its definitely not the tyre as the smoke was popping out from the brake pads area. Also the alloy wheel wS super hot. It was only a 5 minutes drive on a 25mph ...

Blimey, that sounds like excitement you could do without. Stressful.

OK, from the smell of burning rubber, I'm thinking tyre. Have you checked the tyre?

The other rubber I think it might be is the caliper sliding pin boot. If your caliper siezed/severly dragging, which would account for the heat, it might have got hot enough to melt the boot to the point of smoking.

Have a look at eBay item number: 331774334522

I would suggest that is the situation. I would check to see if this is the case. If it is, buy the item above and fit the new parts. Clean everything when re fitting the caliper and make sure it is moving freely.

Hope that helps/make sense.  :D If not, ask away.

If you take the wheel off and are not sure, post a photo or two so we can 'see'.

This forum thread has a video that could answer a lot of questions https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12830.0

Tags: