Author Topic: Drive it like you stole it.  (Read 1229 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Drive it like you stole it.
« on: December 20, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
Today I took my car in for the exhaust box replacement and its MOT. As I always do when going for an MOT I thrashed the hell out of it and it was great fun. Unfortunately, now it is all dual carriageway and motorway instead of the country roads when I lived in Fife. Once the blue light was out it was foot to the boards and away it went all third and fourth gear (the 1.2 i-DSi will do a GPS 70 mph in third). The hole in the exhaust pipe added a bit of an edge to it, Just a nice burble. My pre-MOT check, new exhaust and gaskets, MOT test plus labour and VAT set me back £146.42. All I had to do was sit and read my Kindle while they did the work. The girls in the office even offered me tea or coffee.
I keep wondering if I will see it out or it will see me out!

Lewo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Drive it like you stole it.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 10:51:38 PM »
Nice one.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 11:50:52 AM »
Italian tune up with attitude ;D

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 04:36:48 PM »
I've experienced these Italian tune-ups on previous cars. It's not going to be possible on my Mk4;  you can't thrash an automatic can you?
Neil Ives

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 09:19:38 PM »
Why would you rave your engine so much if its an small petrol engine? My understanding is this is important to do before an mot for diesel cars to clear the carbon out.
Does peteol engine Jazz too build up with carbon so much? My average annual mileage would be around 3k miles and no motorway drivings much required for my usage. Do you think I should do italian tune ups on my auto engine too befor next MOT?

Today I took my car in for the exhaust box replacement and its MOT. As I always do when going for an MOT I thrashed the hell out of it and it was great fun. Unfortunately, now it is all dual carriageway and motorway instead of the country roads when I lived in Fife. Once the blue light was out it was foot to the boards and away it went all third and fourth gear (the 1.2 i-DSi will do a GPS 70 mph in third). The hole in the exhaust pipe added a bit of an edge to it, Just a nice burble. My pre-MOT check, new exhaust and gaskets, MOT test plus labour and VAT set me back £146.42. All I had to do was sit and read my Kindle while they did the work. The girls in the office even offered me tea or coffee.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 09:33:30 PM »
Why would you rave your engine so much if its an small petrol engine? My understanding is this is important to do before an mot for diesel cars to clear the carbon out.
Does peteol engine Jazz too build up with carbon so much? My average annual mileage would be around 3k miles and no motorway drivings much required for my usage. Do you think I should do italian tune ups on my auto engine too befor next MOT?

I think maybe you should get Jocko to do it - a bit more driving experience required for this!!

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 10:55:53 AM »
Well done, I'm sure you and your trusty Jazz will be good for many years more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nadabro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:22 PM »

My Jazz after 2 year with a lot of misfires and engine light going on/off was diagnosed with carbon buildup, after cleaning the carbon in the  intake manifold, the car was like new.
But makes me wonder, how much carbon is inside the engine!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 08:36:53 PM »
I've experienced these Italian tune-ups on previous cars. It's not going to be possible on my Mk4;  you can't thrash an automatic can you?
Going up a long steep hill at 60mph will make the engine work hard, albeit for only as long as it takes to get up the hill.

Personally, I add a bit of Redex to the fuel and have never had a problem with MoTs for my various Honda cars despite not giving the engine a hard life.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 04:47:39 AM »
My Jazz after 2 year with a lot of misfires and engine light going on/off was diagnosed with carbon buildup, after cleaning the carbon in the  intake manifold, the car was like new.
But makes me wonder, how much carbon is inside the engine!

I thought modern fuels had additives to stop carbon buildup ?
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: