Author Topic: Heat Shield? Is it necessary?  (Read 1529 times)

Martin Haworth

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz si 20113
Heat Shield? Is it necessary?
« on: June 03, 2021, 12:34:34 PM »
Hi All,

Just got back from my first long trip in well over a year - 500 miles from NOrwich to Durham and back to see family.  55mpg overall - pleased with this.

On the trip a rattle started, and a quick google/look underneath showed a loose heat shield - the one just under the B pillar on the drivers side.It seems to be just shielding a length of pipe (not cat/silencer).

Honda in Norwich want £50 for a new piece of tin foil!

BUT, the guy on the parts desk hinted that it might be OK without.

Thoughts?

TIA

Martin

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Heat Shield? Is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:15:40 PM »
Just get a couple of large washers to reattach it. Always rusts around the mounting bolts.

Martin Haworth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
2 washers for 16p.

10mm socket and spanner.

30 minutes.

Job done.

Thank you.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 11:31:04 AM »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »
Our local Wilko store has a hardware section with trays of "brights" (i.e. all bright zinc plated screws, nuts&bolts, washers etc). They have 2 bag sizes which you can fill for a fixed price, forget exactly but £1-99 and £3-99 rings a bell. The range is pretty good usually, coachscrews, penny washers and so on.
Worth a look if you have a store nearby.

Even though I have a pretty well stocked store of such fasteners, I frequently get a large bag full of sundry items when in there, so much cheaper than the likes of Screwfix etc. It's amazing how many washers you can pack into a £3-99 bag if you feel so inclined.  ;D

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 03:10:47 PM »
Hi All,

Just got back from my first long trip in well over a year - 500 miles from NOrwich to Durham and back to see family.  55mpg overall - pleased with this.

On the trip a rattle started, and a quick google/look underneath showed a loose heat shield - the one just under the B pillar on the drivers side.It seems to be just shielding a length of pipe (not cat/silencer).

Honda in Norwich want £50 for a new piece of tin foil!

BUT, the guy on the parts desk hinted that it might be OK without.

Thoughts?

TIA

Martin

Let us know if it is a successful fix. I have a longstanding rattle which has stumped everyone. It only ever occurs at around 2000RPM and only ever under way. Honda told me it was a master clutch problem but they also told me the squeeky noise arising from the combined action of the steering /clutch operation, (usually when manouevring in first/reverse gear in cooler weather conditions) was a master clutch problem and it would cost @£800 or so to fix. Yes, indeed :). At least they were very polite about it and addressed me as Sir and not mate.

PS - I recall Sparky P had this problem a couple of years ago and resolved it with some brute force and the use of a lump hammer. (Correct me if I am wrong here, SparkyP).

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 05:09:57 PM »
To answer the original question, no, it’s not necessary. Ours was rattling some years ago and the bloke at Kwik Fit suggested we pull it off, so we did. No adverse effects in 5 or more years.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 01:11:05 PM »
Heat shield above the back box on my old Yaris used to rattle around, I cable tied it back on, didn’t want to take it off as I was scared of cooking my shopping in the boot. I always thought if car manufacturers put them on then they do it for a reason, I doubt they just like to lose money by paying for useless things to be fitted to their cars.

Martin Haworth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
Well, the fix is successful so far (100 miles and counting).

More successful is of course the grin on my face at not having to hand over money to the main stealer!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 05:40:09 PM »
A cheap fix is the best fix!

Spire nuts are great for heat shields. Very useful little things.

@embee - Thanks for the Wilko tip. I'll check that section out next time I pop in. Sounds like pick n mix!

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 09:49:10 AM »
I confess I had to look up what a spire nut is. Thanks.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who taught English to engineers in the Czech republic in the 90's. When it came to names for fastenings they took one look at 'cheese head set screw' decided it was ridiculous and, as they'd never heard of any of it, they could dismiss that part of the course. Taught me something about the gulf between the humanities and sciences.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 09:44:39 PM »
No worries!  :D When the heat shield on my Mk1 Octi decided to start letting go, my mate said "you need a spire nut on that". Like you, I'd never heard of them. Every day is a school day.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 10:12:31 AM »
No worries!  :D When the heat shield on my Mk1 Octi decided to start letting go, my mate said "you need a spire nut on that". Like you, I'd never heard of them. Every day is a school day.

These Rivnuts are useful as well ( like a pop-rivet with an internal  thread ) when you want a one-sided-thread in thinner material (when no access to other side of part ).  You can buy all sorts of fancy insertion tools but do not need them  :o   all you need is a bolt and a washer :-X 

Drill the correct size hole, push the rivnut through,  put washer onto bolt ( a bit of lube on thread** ), screw the bolt into rivnut, continue screwing bolt in until the rivnnut has collapsed ( the body of rivnut above the thread is designed to collapse and form a collar,  just like a pop-rivet ) unscrew the bolt - there you have a proper nut ready to go (** it is better to put a bit of oil on the bolt as that will reduce the thread friction and reduce the tendency of the nut to try to rotate in the hole when it is being 'squashed').  The correct size hole is important, the splines on the rivnut dig in to material to stop rotation.

Material they can be used in depends on the thread size, from about 0.6mm for M4 size to about 5 or 6 mm for M10 size.  These would be ideal for fitting a CAT-Guard to MK1 Jazz, they are available as 'blind' ( hole does not go straight through ).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08JC7GGNQ/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:15:10 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »
Took the rattling/buzzing heat shield off my Mk1 Jazz, at least I think it was that one. Never bothered repairing it or refixing it, just lived life on the ragged edge and completely forgot about it.  Car’s still going strong and I don’t think it’s loss is noticed by OJ.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:34:51 PM by D3DSL »

Tags: