Author Topic: CVT oil life and change.  (Read 1252 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
CVT oil life and change.
« on: May 31, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »
My 2011 Mk2 Jazz with CVT box had, at least I thought, started showing signs of a faint whining noise when pulling away from a standstill that faded away in the build up of background noise. I also thought that the gearbox was a little slow to react to throttle opening. It has always had oil changes at the prescribed 25K mileage interval.
It was due a gearbox oil change by mileage, 24+K, but was overdue by the recommended time interval at three years. I have never seen the significance of a time limit on the CVT gearbox oil which is not subject to the same contaminants as engine oil.
An oil change was carried out today. The magnetic drain plug was clear of any debris but the oil was, as usual, darker than the new stuff. A test drive showed that the whining noise, that only I could hear anyway, had gone and the gearbox was more responsive to throttle openings.
I hope that this info is of some use to somebody.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: CVT oil life and change.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 09:13:07 PM »
Honda's standard service checklist (attached) states that Jazz 2012 MY onwards should have the CVT fluid changed every 25k miles / 2 years. Honda shortened the interval after the CVT judder started appearing in the Mk 1 Jazz and it was recognised that the fluid change interval was insufficient to prevent a build-up of muck in the CVT box.

It's unclear to me whether that service interval applies to all the CVT Mk 2s. The change from the i-shift took place in early 2011 at the same time as the hybrid Mk 2 arrived but were the 2011 CVTs treated as 2012 manufacturing year? Or did the shorter interval only apply to vehicles sold after Honda changed the recommendation?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 09:56:40 PM »
Glad to read that your CVT worries appear to have been resolved. Was your fluid change a DIY job and, if so, did you syphon all of the old fluid out?
Have you abandoned your previous idea of changing the car (I think about it from time to time but when I get down to it I cannot find anything I really want more!).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 12:47:31 PM »
My 2012  Jazz has had 2xCVT oil changes in the past 9 years.. both DIY using Honda CVT fluid.
Now on 47k miles: last change at 40k.
No odd noises ever.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 02:37:16 PM »
Was your fluid change a DIY job and, if so, did you syphon all of the old fluid out?
Have you abandoned your previous idea of changing the car (I think about it from time to time but when I get down to it I cannot find anything I really want more!).

My son, who used to own a vehicle MoT/repair business, did it on his drive. The hot old oil was drained via the drain plug  and most of it came out going by what was required to fill it back up again. It took about 20 minutes.
I still think about selling the car, it's due a 10 year service soon including the coolant so that might be a selling point.

Vic.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »
Both my Jazzes (256k and 134k) both had regular 25k CVT oil changes throughout their arduous lives, and up to their final day the gearbox was good.

California

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz hatchback 1.4 I-vtec es plus 5dr cet
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »
Small world VicW just purchased a jazz 1.4 cvt, wife broke ankle last year so we needed an automatic.
John Towers ex goosite 69/70

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 10:28:32 AM »
HI John, A small world as you say.

Vic.

Tags:

anything