Author Topic: Sinus problems  (Read 1787 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: Sinus problems
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 10:08:25 PM »
I use aircon carefully on longer journeys as the very dry air that aircon puts into the car is very good at drying the lining of nose out,  as others said there is also the filter which unless it is changed regularly ( which hardly never happens in dealer service ) it can harbour bacteria and mould.. also bad for the nose,  as allergies ( rhinitis ) cause more than their fair share of sinus problems.  I am taking one of these every day now ( I suffer from allergies all through the year, every sort of pollen and dust mites gets me ).  Considering they cost over £2 for 30 in chemist and that much for a pack of 7 in a service station these are a bargain, and they work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076CGMW6P/

Any noticeable side effects? There always seems to be a trade off somewhere. I suffer from rhinitis/sinus etc which often triggers Tinnitus. The recent damp weather has kicked it off again. No problems in hot dry weather. Frustrating as hell.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 10:13:42 PM »
Continuous use of a steroid nasal spray can give you issues with a dry nose. I overused that stuff when I first started running as it gave me a great sense of clear breathing, but in the long run it made thing worse. I just use it now when I am bunged up.

Steroids are best avoided if at all possible. I have found saline and a syringe is a great way to clear out nasal congestion/bacteria etc and certainly helps with blocked sinus ducts.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 10:34:20 PM »
Continuous use of a steroid nasal spray can give you issues with a dry nose. I overused that stuff when I first started running as it gave me a great sense of clear breathing, but in the long run it made thing worse. I just use it now when I am bunged up.

Steroids are best avoided if at all possible. I have found saline and a syringe is a great way to clear out nasal congestion/bacteria etc and certainly helps with blocked sinus ducts.

Does that shrink nasal polyps ?

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 12:13:16 AM »

Does that shrink nasal polyps ?

Can't help there. I don't know enough about polyps but it will certainly help with any restrictions caused by polyps. It's certainly worth a try and is actually recommended by any GP worth their salt simply because it is a natural process. I am highly sceptical about drugs because of the potential side effects.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 08:18:14 AM »
For what could be worth, my wife is almost never complaining about the Mk4 aircon when I leave it in auto, while she usually had headache whit the old car which had manual climate control.
When she complains, I usually rise the temperature of 1°C and she's fine.
Dual zone is the way!

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 08:34:03 AM »
I know! But it is not available on MK4, anyway the climate is so good that I'm not feeling the need

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 08:45:30 AM »
I use aircon carefully on longer journeys as the very dry air that aircon puts into the car is very good at drying the lining of nose out,  as others said there is also the filter which unless it is changed regularly ( which hardly never happens in dealer service ) it can harbour bacteria and mould.. also bad for the nose,  as allergies ( rhinitis ) cause more than their fair share of sinus problems.  I am taking one of these every day now ( I suffer from allergies all through the year, every sort of pollen and dust mites gets me ).  Considering they cost over £2 for 30 in chemist and that much for a pack of 7 in a service station these are a bargain, and they work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076CGMW6P/

Any noticeable side effects? There always seems to be a trade off somewhere. I suffer from rhinitis/sinus etc which often triggers Tinnitus. The recent damp weather has kicked it off again. No problems in hot dry weather. Frustrating as hell.

No noticeable side effects for me except I can breathe more easily, can smell and taste much better and sleep better, also vision is clearer.... and generally feel better.  As I said I react to loads of stuff,  had tests many years ago and reacted to pretty much everything you can breathe in and a lot of stuff that you eat and drink...   I know if I am getting a sinus infection because inside my ears on the left ( always starts on the left ) start to itch and toothache on top teeth.  I have tried  steroids and normal sprays in the past and don't work very well, tried sinus rinses ( NeilMed saline ) and they help,  but the best is antihistamine ( non-drowsy ones  :o ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 09:12:21 AM »
Did I get lost? I thought I was on clubJazz.org but this is clubMed.org?

If nothing goes right, go left!

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 10:01:24 AM »
So it looks that climate control is better than manual air con.
So its another reason to buy a MK 4

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »
Did I get lost? I thought I was on clubJazz.org but this is clubMed.org?

I think you got lost :)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 03:23:45 PM »
Something that helps with AC affecting nasal passages is to change the air intake selection to 'recirculate' for a while and only circulate the cabin air eliminating the fresh air. Beware in the cold, damp weather when you may get misting up after a while.

Vic.

Tags:

anything