Author Topic: How is MK3 Jazz for Motorway Driving Compared to MK2?  (Read 3735 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: How is MK3 Jazz for Motorway Driving Compared to MK2?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »
What does the engine sounds like and how does the car feels at those speeds?

My Mark 1 Jazz Started to Feel Terrible and very tiring at speeds over 55mph
My Mark 2 Jazz Engine Starts to really roar over 60mph and the drive is very tiring due to noise/engine roar , I drive 70mph with it only when in a hurry and end up drained after driving at those speeds for a long time with it..

Something like Audi a6 still feels perfect at even 80-90mph and you don't feel tired at all.
I'd agree with your comments on the mk2 manual. It's ok upto 60. Over that, as you say, it's busy and to be endured for the purposes of getting somewhere quickly. Turning the radio up helps no end though.

Our Octavia VRS was in its comfort zone at the speeds you reference for the A6. No surprise they are a favourite of the Police. In 6th gear, it would eat the miles. Great big comfy seats too. Indeed, at speed, it was the only time the car was happy and smooth. Far too bumpy round town for my liking. Mrs W loved it dearly though and was happy to put up with the ride for the performance.

Mind, the Jazz costs a lot less new, is more reliable and costs way less to run. You pays your money...........

gravel

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GK3 2018
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 01:05:31 PM »
I can't offer a comparison, I've not driven another Jazz models.

If you're not slamming your foot down, the MK3 1.3L CVT is a comfortable motorway drive.

I'm surprised at how often people say CVT transmissions are loud or bad in this car. Yes, you will get high revs, late shifts, faster acceleration, and worse MPG if you put your foot down, but if you're calm with the accelerator, CVT smoothly and quietly flips through the gears with good to great MPG. The acceleration characteristics aren't astounding, but that is probably to be expected on an economical and inexpensive car.

I haven't looked at the revs on the highway when cruise control is set to 75mph, but I don't notice much engine noise over the radio, so I'd say the other commenter saying 2.5K RPM seems reasonable. I haven't tried it in (S)hift mode, but I'm curious if manual gear changes help.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 05:11:18 AM »
Not quite the question originally asked but as far as Japanese models are concerned the main problem with the GD1 was road noise rather than engine/transmission noise. Especially during the winter with winter tyres fitted.

The Mark 3 is much much quieter and I believe the Mark 2 was also a step change but I haven't driven one. I find the CVT Mark 3 perfectly OK for motorway use. I can do 6 hours in a day without feeling too tired. The adaptive cruise control/lane keep helps a lot too - it will sort of do the donkey work and leave you to watch further down the road.

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 10:30:42 PM »
I've only ever had a mk3 68 manual. My previous cars were petrol Mondeos
Jazz seems ok on motorways. At 70 it's doing 3100 rpm. Crosswinds do catch it, and since I changed to Crossclimate + it's quieter at speed. In France having done 565 miles from home. Indicated 62.9mpg. Cracking car.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 07:30:03 AM »
I cannot compare to other Jazz generations, and I am not so sensitive to road noise, but in my opinion GK (Mk3) Jazz does great on motorways for its size. If it is not too windy. And I agree, that tyre noise is dominant most of the time. I haven't been driving over 85 mph for any longer periods, 95 mph maybe once for very short time, but I don't expect any dramatic change in higher speeds either. It would be nice to visit on German Autobahn with Jazz to verify the top speed.

For me the most annoying features on long road trips are the steering wheel, which has too limited arcs to hold,  uncomfortably stiff seat and especially the headrest, which does not allow relaxed head position if you don't turn it backwards.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:35:49 AM by TnTkr »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 09:43:24 AM »
I had a Mk2 manual and now have a Mk3 CVT.  The Mk3 is a more relaxed drive on the motorway, but this is partly down to the engine revs at steady speed being lower with the CVT, so it's not an exact comparison.  I found the Mk3 ride to be improved as well.

Tags:

anything