Author Topic: Clock setting problem  (Read 5623 times)

Nigel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz ER
Re: Clock setting problem
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »
Being selfish I'd be happier with GMT (or Zulu to military bods) all year round.

So would I as I find it so depressing when the clocks go back in the Autumn but its been tried before in UK and some people didn't like it.  Zulu is another good term to use for GMT, WET and UTC which are all the same time.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 10:28:00 AM »
Being selfish I'd be happier with GMT (or Zulu to military bods) all year round.

Yeah, could never see the reason for changing the time,  except to give pubs more time to get people drunk in beer gardens.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »
Well the reason is historical,
an extra hour of sunlight saves a lot of money on electricity purchase / production savings.
Obviously changing the time in autumn or winter makes no sense because it is always dark and there would be no benefits from this operation.
In spring and summer with more hours of sunshine, however, it has its effectiveness.
(sorry for the mistakes I used google translate)

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 12:23:46 PM »
There is a setting under "Date and Time" called "Automatic Date and Time", by default this is set to "OFF".

As a sidenote, when set to "ON", it requires data sharing to be enabled as well.
If not, the infotainment will lose the time at some point.
It happened to me a couple of times.
Back in the days, RDS was used for this.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Well the reason is historical,
an extra hour of sunlight saves a lot of money on electricity purchase / production savings.
Obviously changing the time in autumn or winter makes no sense because it is always dark and there would be no benefits from this operation.
In spring and summer with more hours of sunshine, however, it has its effectiveness.
(sorry for the mistakes I used google translate)

Moving the time disrupts peoples body clocks, which can have serious mental consequences for some people. A modern phenomenon  is also a large increase in 'cyberloafing'     https://news.psu.edu/story/151068/2012/03/07/research/switch-daylight-saving-time-leads-cyberloafing-office
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 01:53:54 PM »
A modern phenomenon  is also a large increase in 'cyberloafing'     https://news.psu.edu/story/151068/2012/03/07/research/switch-daylight-saving-time-leads-cyberloafing-office

'Science' has nothing better to do than investigate this kind of nonsense?
As a retiree, not in any office anymore, I do 'cyberloafing' (according to my wife) in the spring, summer, autumn and winter regardless of what time the clock shows...
And I see regulars here on the forum doing exactly the same…  ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 10:23:14 AM »

So would I as I find it so depressing when the clocks go back in the Autumn but its been tried before in UK and some people didn't like it.  Zulu is another good term to use for GMT, WET and UTC which are all the same time.

The experiment of British Standard Time from March 1968 to October 1971 was to keep the clocks one hour ahead of GMT all year round.

Nigel

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 10:41:24 AM »
Good point but its digressing from the purpose of this thread.  Has anyone else experienced the clock on their Jazz changing which on mine is caused by my i-phone 7+ flipping the Honda's time zone setting from Western European Time to Central European Time.  This is only becomes apparent after the i-phone is disconnected.  Whilst its connected the Jazz shows the i-phone's time which is always correct.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 03:10:27 PM »
I've just been out and checked mine.

I can see all the various regional options but they are all greyed out because I have the top 'Automatic Time Zone Selection' which it came with.
Let's be careful out there !

Nigel

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 03:52:03 PM »
I've just been out and checked mine.

I can see all the various regional options but they are all greyed out because I have the top 'Automatic Time Zone Selection' which it came with.

Thanks Kremmen.  That sounds logical but it isn't how it appears on mine. Switching the auto function off allows manual changes to be made to the time and date but regardless whether it's on or off, different time zones can still be selected on the next tab down.  They are not greyed out at any time.

I have just discussed the matter for the first time with the technical guys at my local Honda dealer and they believe it is a know issue with i-phones and something to do with the settings.  They think there might be a Honda technical bulletin about it.  The Jazz (& i-phone) are booked in a week Thursday so they can look at it.  It isn't just the clock issue.  The Waze & Google Maps car icon on the infotainment screen is slow to update its position and no schematic of the next road junction with a countdown appears on the driver's screen behind the steering wheel. 

Nigel

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 02:33:23 PM »
A further update:

My dealer's technical department saw my problem first hand today - flipping the time zone from WET to CET, sluggish updating of location on Google Maps & Waze and no junction display on the driver's screen behind the steering wheel.  They tested the time zone issue with 3 other i-phones and they all did the same as mine so its not just my i-phone or me!  The dealer has not seen this problem before and is reporting it to Honda.  I am expecting to hear more from them tomorrow or early next week.

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »
The clock in my Jazz changed to European time when we were in Italy and reverted back once we were back in the UK

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2021, 03:00:58 PM »
I blame Brexit!

(Runs away to hide)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
Did we sign off taking back control of GMT ?
Let's be careful out there !

Nigel

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 04:16:33 PM »
Another update:

The dealer has just phoned me.  Honda Technical are aware of this problem which the dealer believes affects all Mk 4 Jazz/i-phone users.  They say that Apple are planning a software update to their phones which should resolve it.  What I don't understand is that there must be 1000s of i-phone users with the Mk 4 Jazz many of whom might dip into this forum but no one other than the original poster (OP) has reported a problem.  I wonder if this means they don't know they have a problem or don't care?  The dealer suggested this might be the case as Jazz owners tend to be older and less tech savvy than say BMW and Audi owners! 

Tags:

anything