Author Topic: Ignition coils  (Read 5628 times)

nadabro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Ignition coils
« on: February 01, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »
Hi.

2 years ago my mechanic said i had some ignition coil failing, but he didint know which one..but when the engine light popup he will know which one is failing by reading the error.

Last week the engine light popup up..went to the mechanic and it shows ignition problem (misfire?) on cylinder 2 and 4. But again, which one of the ignition coils?!

Is there any way i can test which ignition coil is failing (i have a multimeter  :D )?

Preferable i should replace 8 ignition coils, but its quite expensive (30€ each), can i replace only the pair of ignition coils for each cylinder mentioned on the error code (2 and 4)?

Any feedback on the cheap ignition coils from aliexpress (80€ - pack of 8 ignition coils)?

Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Ignition coils
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 04:56:30 PM »
Swap one good gear with one suspect rear. Does the fault move? If not swap back then do the same with the other suspect rear. Continue until the fault moves. That will indicate which one is failing so replace that one.
The reason you try the rears first is they are the ones most likely to fail as they may have had a hard life with rear plugs not getting replaced.
Be aware that the coils at the front and rear are different and not interchangeable.

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 06:26:15 PM »
Thanks for the answer @Jocko!

That´s a good idea..i will try to swap the ignition coils. But since my mechanic erased the errors, i will have to wait until the OBD register´s one..

All (original) sparking plugs was replaced two weeks ago (and EGR cleaned)..with 87000 miles.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:13:38 PM »
Many owners, mechanics and garages don't realise the i-DSi has two sets of plugs so, at a previous service (or two), the rear set could have been missed. This leads to stress on the coil packs with subsequent breakdown

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 10:33:23 PM »
If you decides to change the rear coil packs, buy it from Auto Dr. They are super cheap! Ive bought x4 Brembos in December for half price than the UK companies!

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 02:20:37 PM »
Thanks for the answers.

@mj1sjc
 I'm also looking in Dr Auto, looks cheap!

So thinking on replacing the pair (front and back) for each cylinder on the code (2 and 4), any issue on replacing these four ignition coils and leaving the original ones on cylinder 1 and 3?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 04:49:00 PM »
If all the plugs are 100%, I would swap the rear coils 3 & 4 and run if for a while, see if the fault moves from 2/4 to 1/3.

If that doesn't work try swapping rear 1 & 2, and do the same again.

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 05:08:00 PM »
In two years the engine light popup only 2 times..but meanwhile the car feels a bit sluggish, sometimes stall at low speed, vibrates/shudder when pulling or when starts moving, changed spark plugs and cleaned EGR (2 weeks ago), it improved a little bit, but not much. It has manual transmission.

I suppose the spark plugs are OK.

Changing the ignition coils from one cylinder to another, may take quite a long time to fire a error code, so i´m willing to change 4 ignition coils..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 05:22:33 PM »
so i´m willing to change 4 ignition coils..
Just change them then. let us know how it goes.

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »
The 4 new ignition coils should arrive in the next couple of weeks.. i will post here, how it went.

Thanks!

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »
If you decides to change the rear coil packs, buy it from Auto Dr. They are super cheap! Ive bought x4 Brembos in December for half price than the UK companies!
Can you perhaps post a link to that website please?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 03:57:51 PM »

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »
Sparky paul had given you the correct website! It's really cheaper coils on there.
Ive removed my x4 rear original Hitachi for the sake of it and its on Ebay now for £30 or so. I'm just guessing there's still more life left on them as my car is only 81k miles atm.

In general Autodoc stuff takes on average 3 weeks to get to the UK and they says the Brexit and the covid restrictions are affecting the speed of deliveriesvas the stuff are coming from Germany.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 12:42:01 PM »
Sparky paul had given you the correct website! It's really cheaper coils on there.
Ive removed my x4 rear original Hitachi for the sake of it and its on Ebay now for £30 or so. I'm just guessing there's still more life left on them as my car is only 81k miles atm.

In general Autodoc stuff takes on average 3 weeks to get to the UK and they says the Brexit and the covid restrictions are affecting the speed of deliveriesvas the stuff are coming from Germany.

Thanks, what quality are their Coils like?
Some people say only the Hitachi coils are worth buying.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »

Just bear in mind the import duty/VAT aspect for orders from the EU into the UK, and the relevance of the country of origin of the items.

Tags:

anything