Author Topic: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)  (Read 11789 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 09:26:43 AM »
Unlike some drivers, I do keep windows, lights and number plates clean even if I let the bodywork get filthy.

Ditto. Although the car transforms into a stealth vehicle over winter, blending in with it's surroundings, I do at least clean the number plates and lights clean.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »

Ditto. Although the car transforms into a stealth vehicle over winter, blending in with it's surroundings, I do at least clean the number plates and lights clean.

Exactly my point, you need to be SEEN!! :o

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »

Exactly my point, you need to be SEEN!! :o

I don't deny it, but mine's the wrong colour anyway!  :)

DRLs must help nowadays.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
Agreed with cleaning windows, lights, mirrors and number plates. Only takes a minute, and with the windows the difference is immediately apparent.

With regard to visability, I drive with my dipped headlights on all the time. Silver cars are a bit invisible and the Jazz is only tiny compared to some massive trucks that people use as cars such as the VW Amorak/Panzer MK2 :D See the attached map, countries in red have compulsory daytime dipped headlights. It is a good habit to get into IMHO.

I think neighbouring industry getting my car dirty would have driven me nuts.  :D

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 10:11:53 PM »
I think any medium shade grayish, brownish and greenish colour looks decent even if it has some dirt or swirl marks. Blueish colours are not that good. Especially metallic ones. On the other hand if thinking colour matching after some repairs, non-metallic would be better.

When selecting the colour of my car, most important for me is that it looks good in that specific car. But that includes looking good even with some dirt. Jazz I would have liked to get in turquoise blue metallic, but that is not available so our family parliament decided skyride blue. To be seen is unimportant for me when selecting car colour.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 08:53:14 AM »
To be seen is unimportant for me when selecting car colour.

In my view, an accident waiting to happen?
It won’t be very helpful, when the driver who has just hit you says, “ I’m sorry but it didn’t see you”😧

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »
To be seen is unimportant for me when selecting car colour.

In my view, an accident waiting to happen?
It won’t be very helpful, when the driver who has just hit you says, “ I’m sorry but it didn’t see you”😧
I recognize your opinion and I'm not going to challenge it. I just don't see it that important factor, so I guess I have been waiting an accident to happen for several decades. Never been hit in a situation where seeing played any role, neither anyone on my nearby family or friends.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:58:35 AM by TnTkr »

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
When selecting the colour of my car, most important for me is that it looks good in that specific car. 

:D As a buyer of used cars, the colour normaly chooses me! The history of the car and value are far more imortant than colour. If I had a new car order form in fron of me, of course I would consider the choice, but when buying budget cars the colour is pretty much irrelevant.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »
My current car - shining grey metallic - is the most resistant to dirt showing (it's always there regardless of colour) I've ever had. It also has the benefit of looking glossy when cleaned which the silver cars I've had never did.

That said I think there is definitely something in the view that a bright colour increases visibility. I would have had Milano Red but this was firmly vetoed by SWMBO.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 12:30:57 PM »
Grey or light grey is my favourite because it's closest to the undercoat.

When you get the mandatory stone chips they don't stick out too much pre touchup.

Regarding black, an 'old boy' chauffeur once told me, to stop paint swirls on black, he always put a small amount of paraffin in the final rinse water.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2021, 01:20:03 PM »
I have never given a thought to the colour of a car when I have purchased it. Buying second-hand, and at the bottom of the market, doesn't really allow the niceties of choosing colours. The nearest I have come is the Volvo, where my wife saw it for sale, liked the colour, and asked me to go and have a look at it. I bought it, but yellow or tartan, it wouldn't have mattered. I have had some horrible colours, but thankfully never silver.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 02:35:13 PM »
I have never given a thought to the colour of a car when I have purchased it. Buying second-hand, and at the bottom of the market, doesn't really allow the niceties of choosing colours. The nearest I have come is the Volvo, where my wife saw it for sale, liked the colour, and asked me to go and have a look at it. I bought it, but yellow or tartan, it wouldn't have mattered. I have had some horrible colours, but thankfully never silver.
:D The Jazz is only the second Honda car I've owned, an Accord years ago, and both have been silver! Not out of choice, just what happened at the time.

The 504 was a peach of a car and beige was very of its time. I bet there are loads of those still in daily use in parts of Africa.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 02:39:34 PM »
My light green metallic Carlton, despite 100 motorway miles every day, never looked dirty.

That really is a nice car! Known here as Opel Rekord.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 02:45:26 PM »
My current car - shining grey metallic - is the most resistant to dirt showing (it's always there regardless of colour) I've ever had. It also has the benefit of looking glossy when cleaned which the silver cars I've had never did.

That said I think there is definitely something in the view that a bright colour increases visibility. I would have had Milano Red but this was firmly vetoed by SWMBO.
I have bought both new and used. But even when bying used, I've always rejected red and black cars. I've had orange, white, grey and blue ones. The new ones have been quartz silver Peugeot and skyride blue Jazz.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2021, 06:29:18 PM »
If it was a choice between a black car in good order and condition, and a nice metallic blue car with faults, I know which one I'll end up with.

That's how I ended up with this thing.

Tags: