Author Topic: Sat Nav Map Updates  (Read 15223 times)

Mebo

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mrk4 Advantage Sport
Re: Sat Nav Map Updates
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2021, 06:29:59 PM »
I had that problem when I first attempted to update. Tried a few times over a month and then last week it said that there was an update but the data on the USB stick was out of date and could not be updated. So I wiped the stick and updated it in the car again. Then went back to my PC and tried again. It downloaded ok. I installed it in the unit successfully.

I previously had a Tom Tom and I think Garmin is nowhere near as good. But it works and its more convenient.

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »
I initially had Garmin Express stating I was on latest version, even though I was on 2020 version and 2021 version was available.
I attempted again a few days later (new initial USB file from car sat nav but without reformatting USB drive) and it accepted the 2021 update and installed OK.
I used a SanDisk 16GB USB2 flash drive.
There was also an update to Garmin Express app, at least on my Mac version, which I'd applied.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:32:23 PM by IanG »

mikera32

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Advance Sport eHEV Premium Crystal Red
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2021, 07:14:25 PM »
Hi, having the same problem with my Jazz EX Hybrid. Initially used 32GB USB with several attempts, Garmin Express showing no updates available. Eventually I tried again and GE showed 2021.10 available. Download took over an hour. Went back to the car and started the second part. Third attempt got me to 12%, then failed. Now GE shows no update available!! Changed to 16GB USB as recommended and tried yet again with the same result - no update available.
Now in an email exchange with Garmin Support. Log files from GE sent to Garmin Support together with photos taken of the screen display showing the map version and software versions existing in my car.
Waiting now to see what needs to be done to fix it.

andynet

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2021, 09:05:46 PM »
Hi there.
As I understand it, Garmin put out an update over a week ago. This proved to be severly faulty and has 'broken' my Navigation search feature, (plus a few other features). They released a new version last week but pulled it again after only a day or so, (obviously NOT the finished article). If you try to update currently it just tells you that you have the latest maps and no update available, Waiting for them to release a stable update. >:(

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »
Hi, having the same problem with my Jazz EX Hybrid. Initially used 32GB USB with several attempts, Garmin Express showing no updates available. Eventually I tried again and GE showed 2021.10 available.
Issues with large pendrives were frequent also for the old Honda Connect, Jazz GK3, HR-V, Civic IX and CR-V.. Update for my 2017 ex works fine both with 8, 16 and 32gb if fully FAT32 formatted.
Happy you have the 2021.10 update avaiable, we still have the 2021.0...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 03:53:13 PM by jazzaro »

andynet

• Approved Member
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2021, 09:59:27 PM »
Ditto, still waiting.... Heres a revolutionary idea! Why not put the last working version back up so that us saps that upgraded can have their working Garmin back!

andynet

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Contacted the Local Honda dealership yesterday who confirmed that this is a widespresd problem. (They updated several vehicles for customers, and 'broke' their sat-navs). Like us, waiting for Garmin to pull their finger out!

andynet

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2021, 04:33:51 PM »
Only 10 days since I rang the dealer ans STILL NOTHING DONE!
Outrageous.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2021, 12:58:58 PM »
Madness. I’d really recommend trying Waze / Google on CarPlay in the interim.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2021, 04:03:49 PM »
I've had several cars with Satnav and have to say that Waze or Google maps are far superior to the built-in Satnav systems. Now that Carplay and Android Auto are widely available I wonder if car manufacturers will soon not include Satnav's at all.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2021, 04:23:23 PM »
I use TomTon Go on my phone and it is great. Quite happy to pay the minimal subscription costs. Beats my Garmin hands down.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2021, 04:36:08 PM »
I've had several cars with Satnav and have to say that Waze or Google maps are far superior to the built-in Satnav systems. Now that Carplay and Android Auto are widely available I wonder if car manufacturers will soon not include Satnav's at all.

When they started fitting multifunction display screens to vehicles to control heating etc it was a cheap chance to offer reversing cameras and satnav,  Inbuilt satnavs have always been expensive to update maps and firmware, even though they are based on normal stand-alone satnavs that got free updates for life.   At least with a stand alone satnav you can move it between vehicles - or use phone based apps.  Would never pay extra for an inbuilt satnav....too many downsides.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »

When they started fitting multifunction display screens to vehicles to control heating etc it was a cheap chance to offer reversing cameras and satnav,  Inbuilt satnavs have always been expensive to update maps and firmware, even though they are based on normal stand-alone satnavs that got free updates for life.   At least with a stand alone satnav you can move it between vehicles - or use phone based apps.  Would never pay extra for an inbuilt satnav....too many downsides.
No, I wouldn’t pay extra for an inbuilt satnav and the drift to touch screen controlled heating etc. is surely dangerous? If it is illegal to use a smartphone while driving - even to modify settings - then why is it okay to scroll through screens on a multifunction display screen to make simple changes to temperature or radio? It doesn’t make sense.
Fortunately Honda have retained actual knobs for simple tasks.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »
Can I just ask something? Not trying to be funny. Why wouldn’t you just connect your phone up to either Apple CarPlay or android auto, and use the google maps or Apple maps or Waze for example. Surely this is the cheapest, simplest, most reliable option?  I thought the days of dedicated sat navs and in built options were long gone.

I was looking at some bumf about the new Toyota Yaris some time ago and the 2021 models do not come with built in sat navs anymore.

That said, one reviewer thought this was a retrograde step as phone based sat nav systems drop out if there is no mobile signal.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2021, 05:27:19 PM »
That said, one reviewer thought this was a retrograde step as phone based sat nav systems drop out if there is no mobile signal.

Only the 'live map' relies on phone signal, you can download map and store on the phone ( SD card ) and GPS on phones not reliant on having a phone signal so will still navigate using GPS.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: