Author Topic: A nightmare of a journey.  (Read 7315 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: A nightmare of a journey.
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2021, 08:54:06 AM »
Technology. In car tech is out of control. I see too many smart phones and sat navs blocking windscreens.
Not forgetting all the tech built into the cars which can be challenging to operate. The HR-V is equipped with a touch panel for controlling the heating/ventilation/aircon. It's fiddly to use at the best of times and involves looking away from the road ahead. I recall that Honda's press release for the Mk. 4 Jazz noted that they'd listened to user feedback and provided proper knobs and buttons (which must cost more). Similarly, they have provided some real buttons to make the big touchscreen easier to use.

However, plenty of other manufacturers are adding touch-based controls and selling them as improvements. It's an aspect currently ignored by safety testers and regulators.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2021, 04:33:46 PM »
Not forgetting all the tech built into the cars which can be challenging to operate. The HR-V is equipped with a touch panel for controlling the heating/ventilation/aircon. It's fiddly to use at the best of times and involves looking away from the road ahead. I recall that Honda's press release for the Mk. 4 Jazz noted that they'd listened to user feedback and provided proper knobs and buttons (which must cost more). Similarly, they have provided some real buttons to make the big touchscreen easier to use.

However, plenty of other manufacturers are adding touch-based controls and selling them as improvements. It's an aspect currently ignored by safety testers and regulators.

I agree 100%. These touch screens are a real problem, and hearing your comment of " fiddly to use at the best of times and involves looking away from the road ahead" is concerning.

Our Saab 900 had about the best dash for clarity I remember from all the cars I've owned. All the controls and switches were easy to reach and use. Dash design has gone backwards.

To be fair though, I find the heater controls in our Jazz unnecessarily complicated and a bit of a faff. When our Jazz dies, I expect to replace it with a MK3, but the controls are a concern. Cross that bridge when I get there.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 05:09:51 PM »
I find the heater controls in our Jazz unnecessarily complicated and a bit of a faff.
The heater controls on my Mk 1 could not be easier to operate.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 05:17:03 PM »
Why do you need to mess about with the heater controls all the time.
On my Mk3 Ex, I simply switch the climate control to Auto, set the desired temperature and forget it.
Hardly need to touch it, summer or winter, it’s all done for you. 🤠

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 07:22:12 PM »
Why do you need to mess about with the heater controls all the time.
On my Mk3 Ex, I simply switch the climate control to Auto, set the desired temperature and forget it.
Hardly need to touch it, summer or winter, it’s all done for you. 🤠

The Honda climate control just does not work very well,  the temperature drops and blows cold out of vents after a few miles, never blows air where you want and fan speed drops right down to lowest - I prefer Jocko's controls.

Car makers fit touch screens because they are cheap not because they are better,  and programmed by a nerd who probably cannot drive a car.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »
The Honda climate control just does not work very well,  the temperature drops and blows cold out of vents after a few miles, never blows air where you want and fan speed drops right down to lowest - I prefer Jocko's controls.

Car makers fit touch screens because they are cheap not because they are better,  and programmed by a nerd who probably cannot drive a car.

I agree, the manual controls on the mark 1 are simple to operate and work very well.

I only use OH's mark 2 occasionally, the climate control just seems fiddly, and it's sometimes not clear what mode it's in, whether aircon is on or off, etc.. I have climate control in my (non-Honda) car, and it seems easier to understand, and to get it to do what you want it to. Perhaps I'm just more used to it. Most of the time, it's left on auto, with auto demist, and it most of the time it just does it's own thing.

I also agree about touch screens for adjusting things like heater controls etc., sheer lunacy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:30:39 PM by sparky Paul »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 09:36:22 PM »

I certainly don’t recognise your description of the Mk3 climate control system.
It works fine for me and maintains the temperature I need.
This weather, fan speed does not drop below 2 notches, nor does it blow cold air!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2021, 04:19:40 AM »
I think it's all to do with this latest Eco stuff and the quest for mpg stats.

My Lexus IS200 (and my previous Xantias) I could dial in a temp in summer and it got there. From my 2007 Civic, 2009 Civic and 2013 Civic the aircon is pathetic in comparison.

If I dial in 20c it gets down to about 24c or 25c and that's it, cabin still too warm. The cold air from the vents isn't cold enough or strong enough. If I want colder I have to dial in 16c or 'Lo' and that is all 3 Civics from new so aircon in good condition.

Using the same accurate digital thermometer in the same cabin position, up by the rear view mirror, so out of the sun.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:23:38 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2021, 07:06:17 AM »
Using the same accurate digital thermometer in the same cabin position, up by the rear view mirror, so out of the sun.
Most climate control sensors are at dashboard level and as the temperature increases as you get nearer the roof that would explain the discrepancy there. I have a digital thermometer on my desk, and there is an outside temperature probe which I normally dangle on the floor. At the moment it is showing 17.4°C  at desk height and 14.2°C  at floor level.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2021, 07:20:04 AM »
I see what you're saying but in my older cars I felt cool/comfortable. In my Civics I still feel hot/uncomfortable when the aircon prematurely turns down to trickle mode.

Yes, the sensor is in the dash behind the steering wheel.

I'm not alone with this, there are others also posting their disappointment with the latest aircon settings.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2021, 07:34:22 AM »

I certainly don’t recognise your description of the Mk3 climate control system.
It works fine for me and maintains the temperature I need.
This weather, fan speed does not drop below 2 notches, nor does it blow cold air!

My experience is the same on the HR-V.  Set it and leave it alone.  Never any of the issues that have been described.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »
The MK1 heater controls as posted by Jocko look as heater controls should. Easy, simple.

I was thinking last night about how I can use my TV remote with out even looking at it, and indeed I type without the need to look at the key board. So on that basis, perhaps I would get used to a touch screen and use it as fluidly.

Last year we rented a VW T Roc for a week as we needed a bigger car short term, and that had a touch screen. A week wasnt long enough to get used to it as I do my TV remote, but perhaps long term I would.

@culzean "Car makers fit touch screens because they are cheap not because they are better,  and programmed by a nerd who probably cannot drive a car." - you might well be right. Cost, somehow I doubt, but I bet they can charge us a lot more for replacements and diagnostics! And I do think that design is being led by tech rather than what works. Look at the MK1 Jazz, simple, the Saab 900 dash, simple. The complexity adds nothing other than complexity.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »
The MK1 heater controls as posted by Jocko look as heater controls should. Easy, simple.

I was thinking last night about how I can use my TV remote with out even looking at it, and indeed I type without the need to look at the key board. So on that basis, perhaps I would get used to a touch screen and use it as fluidly.

Last year we rented a VW T Roc for a week as we needed a bigger car short term, and that had a touch screen. A week wasnt long enough to get used to it as I do my TV remote, but perhaps long term I would.

@culzean "Car makers fit touch screens because they are cheap not because they are better,  and programmed by a nerd who probably cannot drive a car." - you might well be right. Cost, somehow I doubt, but I bet they can charge us a lot more for replacements and diagnostics! And I do think that design is being led by tech rather than what works. Look at the MK1 Jazz, simple, the Saab 900 dash, simple. The complexity adds nothing other than complexity.

The touch screen is cheaper to fit than normal control knobs and levers, it gives flexibility of mounting  ( only electrical wires are involved not rods and levers ).  The price of touch screen to car makers will be dirt cheap.

I guess the difference between the TV remote / computer keyboard and the touch screen is that the buttons on your remote / keyboard are real tactile buttons that you can feel if you pressed them, they also stay in the same place ( not the virtual - multifunction buttons you get on a touch screen ).  Nothing that you want to access while you are driving should be hidden away on a touch screen, in my Civic I can adjust heating etc without looking away from the road,  which is as it should be.  Still not happy with auto climate control though, seems to have a mind of its own and rarely does what I want,  also blows cold air from vents once cabin has heated up - which results in front passenger complaining about 'cold draughts'  and checking if window is closed..

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2021, 10:37:29 AM »
The touch screen is cheaper to fit than normal control knobs and levers, it gives flexibility of mounting  ( only electrical wires are involved not rods and levers ).  The price of touch screen to car makers will be dirt cheap.

I guess the difference between the TV remote / computer keyboard and the touch screen is that the buttons on your remote / keyboard are real tactile buttons that you can feel if you pressed them, they also stay in the same place ( not the virtual - multifunction buttons you get on a touch screen ).  Nothing that you want to access while you are driving should be hidden away on a touch screen, in my Civic I can adjust heating etc without looking away from the road,  which is as it should be.  Still not happy with auto climate control though, seems to have a mind of its own and rarely does what I want,  also blows cold air from vents once cabin has heated up - which results in front passenger complaining about 'cold draughts'  and checking if window is closed..

I hadn't factored in the tactile side, thanks. That makes sense and completely obvious now you've pointed it out. Doh !!

You're also probably right about screens. I can buy a tablet for what, £30, so the bare screen must cost them a lot less. I'm surprised there has not been more news about them, and are regulators aware of how they work and the safety implications.

Other than impressing the Jones's for 10 minutes or maybe a bit of one-upmanship and bar bragging rights, I don't think any consumer has ever asked for a tablet.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »
The latest is that the Police can stop and fine you for fiddling with a phone or SatNav, etc whether in a holder or not.

How does the law stand with fixed screens, especially if some fairly important functions need you to look and tap it ?

Tags: