Author Topic: Honda to stop selling diesels  (Read 6028 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Honda to stop selling diesels
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 10:36:37 PM »
Perhaps it's time to bring back the 1974 speed limits http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/15/newsid_2559000/2559807.stm in order to reduce emissions.

To be honest, I think there is a lot of sense in this. The difference in emissions produced at 60mph v 80mph is massive. This where modern diesels are too good. My Jazz at 60 is a relatively relaxing place to be, but at 80, its a frantic buzz box. A long legged diesel with 6 gears however, will sit at 80 all day long without feeling remotely busy or stressed. Bring in a lower speed limit, and emissions will fall. A lot more patrol cars to enforce would be very welcome.

80mph? ;)

The 1974 limits are being introduced by stealth around here anyway. All A-roads in and out of the local town have had their limits reduced to 50mph over the last couple of years, most with average speed cameras. Long suburban 40mph stretches have recently been reduced to 30mph, another one changed this last week. Personally, I don't mind it at all... but I've noticed a big increase in tailgating behaviour, particularly in the long camera-free 30mph stretches.

It's a far cry from the problems we had trying to get the local authority to reduce the 60mph speed limit outside our local primary school. After being fobbed off by the MP and referred back to the county council, we were basically told that there would have to be a fatality before anything could be done.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2020, 11:01:19 PM »
We've lots of long stretches of relatively empty A road and dual carriageways in East Anglia. Sometime the speed of some cars remind me of my time on the Autobahn. 80 mph seems to be pretty average. Enforcement would be very welcome.

I've never understood tailgaiting. Its not like driving closer to the car in front is going to reduce journey times, only increase risk!

" reduce the 60mph speed limit outside our local primary school" far too fast. When children are around, 20's plenty. The will survive 20.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 07:06:55 AM »
In the US, during their Double Nickel period, it was mandated that all new cars sold had to have a speedometer that registered a maximum of 85 mph and 55 mph was distinctly marked. I had a hire car with the speedometer with the 5's as the predominant marks and a large, blue, 55 for the national speed limit.
People would be a bit more careful if the could only boast about 85 mph as their top speed and motorways may be a bit slower if the 99 mph brigade didn't know if they were over or under the licence risking ton.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 07:49:47 AM »
I agree.

On motorways I'm perfectly happy to sit in the inside lane at ~60mph. It's more relaxing and I don't arrive at my destination worn out.

One of the first things I was told when training for the advanced driving test, way back in the late 70's,  was that you should arrive just as relaxed as when you set off.
Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
One of the first things I was told when training for the advanced driving test, way back in the late 70's,  was that you should arrive just as relaxed as when you set off.

I think that's almost impossible now, isn't it?  :)

I can drive hundreds of miles in the Scottish Highlands and arrive tired, but relaxed. 50 miles on the busy roads around me and I get home mentally exhausted.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 11:23:48 AM »
On motorways I'm perfectly happy to sit in the inside lane at ~60mph. It's more relaxing and I don't arrive at my destination worn out.
I'm also happy cruising in the inside lane except when all I can see out of the back window is the bottom part of a lorry's radiator. I then decide it's time to leap-frog the lorry in front of me and get some fresh air between me and the vehicle behind.

In fact that's where the tail-gaters win. By getting very close to the vehicle in front they are putting psychological pressure on the vehicle's driver to go a bit faster. Drive at the speed limit and after a while you'll collect a tail of vehicles which want to go faster.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Currently the M4 is being 'downgraded' to a smart motorway.

The limit is 50 and I've found that when I set the cruise to be exactly 50 according to my Garmin and phone GPS my digital speedo is registering 53.

I drive from J3 to J10, and return, at GPS 50 all the way and if anyone behind tries to push me they can talk to the car as It maintains a steady speed.

What I do see from time to time is the ones who come screaming up to a Specs camera, hit the brakes for the camera, then zoom off again. What they don't realise .......... :)
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
I deal with motorway/dual carriageway tailgaters by slowing down. Up here the roads are quiet enough that an HGV can easily overtake if they want to, and regularly do. My cruising speed is 53 mph on the GPS speedometer (almost 60 on the car speedometer).

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »
Hi

The best advice for tailgaters is you do not speed up or slowdown

You double your safe distances to allow safe stopping of your car and that of the tailgater behind you.

They may choose to overtake you anyway during that time

Many thanks

John

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »
You double your safe distances to allow safe stopping of your car and that of the tailgater behind you.

That's fine until a cat shoots across the road, or some other unforseeable event happens in front of you.

I just stick to the limit, it infuriates them having to do 30mph anyway. If I'm on a dual carriageway or motorway, they can overtake - I'm not stopping them.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »
Hi

There is not a correct answer and I thought we were talking of maintaining the current speed limit

In your example an accident is likely to happen as it could if a child were to run out onto road. So you have to have and use observation for driving as normal

Many thanks

John

guest4871

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »
Hi

The best advice for tailgaters is you do not speed up or slowdown

They may choose to overtake you anyway during that time

Many thanks

John

That is correct. It is designed to account for cats too if you think about it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »
There is not a correct answer and I thought we were talking of maintaining the current speed limit
I very seldom drive at the speed limit. The speed limit is just that. A limit. It is a maximum allowable speed, not a recommended or advised speed. I realise that to travel at considerably under the limit could, under certain circumstances, be dangerous, but that is "considerably" under the limit, not "safely" under the limit.
My current favourite pastime is travelling at bang on 20 mph in a 20 mph limit (half the urban areas around here) with a queue of speedfreaks champing at the bit behind me.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »
That is correct. It is designed to account for cats too if you think about it.

I thought about it, but I still don't understand how it stops a tailgater running into the back of me when I brake sharply to avoid squashing a cat.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2020, 04:38:50 PM »
It prevents damage to the front of your car as well  ;D

Tags:

anything