Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142564 times)

guest10167

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »

[/quote]That is excellent. That is the BEST I have ever achieved with my Mk 1. Come the summer, you should easily exceed that.
[/quote]

That’s really impressive. I had a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2 for four years (bought in 2015). The best I achieved with that car in summer was about 55.4 mpg... Haha. Fun car to drive though.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »
I was initially sceptical about the claimed efficiency benefits of hybrid technology, as all the energy still comes from petrol.  However, the real world figures reported here show that the combination of engine efficiency and regenerative braking make improvements of around 35% very realistic.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 12:27:29 PM »
I was initially sceptical about the claimed efficiency benefits of hybrid technology, as all the energy still comes from petrol.  However, the real world figures reported here show that the combination of engine efficiency and regenerative braking make improvements of around 35% very realistic.

The hybrid scores in several ways, one being that kinetic energy is converted to electricity and  recuperated (stored) in the battery while braking or decelerating, and the stored electricity can be converted back to kinetic energy to propel the car. A non-hybrid  simply wastes kinetic energy to heat in the brake pads and discs . Other differences are adoption of the Atkinson cycle for the engine, which trades off torque for economy of  fuel consumption, Atkinson cycle engines are better when assisted by a hybrid electric motor to plug the gap for reduced engine torque

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 10:13:14 PM »
The hybrid scores in several ways, one being that kinetic energy is converted to electricity and  recuperated (stored) in the battery while braking or decelerating, and the stored electricity can be converted back to kinetic energy to propel the car. A non-hybrid  simply wastes kinetic energy to heat in the brake pads and discs . Other differences are adoption of the Atkinson cycle for the engine, which trades off torque for economy of  fuel consumption, Atkinson cycle engines are better when assisted by a hybrid electric motor to plug the gap for reduced engine torque
Also the hybrid system means that the engine (when running) spends more time in its most efficient range. Something I noticed when I first got my Crosstar and used Torque + a Bluetooth OBDII reader to monitor the engine behaviour was that the engine was never run at below 1600 rpm. My presumption is that excess power goes to the battery which then takes over and lets the engine go to sleep. This behaviour is very noticeable in crawling traffic. The hybrid system, however, provides minimal benefit during motorway cruising.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest10167

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »
Today, for the first time since purchasing the car in March, my Jazz started in EV mode with 5 bars of ‘juice’ in the box, after standing still outside for 7 hours! We’re having a hot spell here in Belgium (25°C and up), and it’s clearly having a positive effect on the battery.
While driving home from work, EV mode also came on more often than I was used to until now. Average consumption was 3.8 l/100km at departure, and after a 20 min. drive had dropped to 3.6 (about 78 mpg) with A/C on. I have ECON on in B mode.
This is making me very optimistic about summertime fuel consumption  :D

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 11:52:32 PM »
I've just done my second petrol fill. Same pump as first one. Same number of "clicks" from the pump.

I found that the car's own "trip counter" mpg figure is very close to the measured one: only about 2mpg more optimistic.

448 miles of mixed driving and 32 litres of fuel: 63.6mpg.

For the same sort of (ab)use in the Mk2 I'd be looking at about 45mpg at best.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2021, 08:40:04 AM »
Once again I'm getting Jazz envy.

My impression is that another advantage of hybrids is that the efficiency of petrol engines is much better at constant speed. I notice with my OBD reader that any acceleration, however gentle, causes the consumption to drop dramatically. Presumably the Jazz Mk2 hybrid doesn't have an Atkinson cycle engine but would have this benefit. If I'm right, that is, I might be talking out of my hat  ;D.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

chicksee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »
I've just done my second petrol fill. Same pump as first one. Same number of "clicks" from the pump.

I found that the car's own "trip counter" mpg figure is very close to the measured one: only about 2mpg more optimistic.

448 miles of mixed driving and 32 litres of fuel: 63.6mpg.

For the same sort of (ab)use in the Mk2 I'd be looking at about 45mpg at best.

Pretty much the same, been away for a week approx 400miles done and 63.3 mpg, quite happy with that.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »
Summer Time!
Even with extensive use of A/C and a bit of motorway, I was able to achieve 3.9L/100km, which translates to 72,4 mpg UK
Second tank which such a great result, the engine and the battery likes Italian heat.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2021, 04:08:58 PM »
hi folks, im averaging just a smidge over 60mpg in mixed driving over the first 2 weeks of ownership.  mostly motorway though.  think thats more than ok for a brand new engine.  single trip high score so far is 76mpg over about 20 miles, country roads, aircon on, eco mode  ;D

guest10167

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2021, 05:16:01 PM »
The mighty Jazz keeps surprising me.
During the last full tank of fuel, the trip computer showed 3.6 l/100 km for almost the whole time. My own calculation after filling up was 3.61 l/100 km (78.25 mpg). I mostly did commuting (50 & 70 kph) and only two short stints of motorway at 110. Always in B mode with econ on.
The surprising thing (to me) is, today the fuel consumption on the trip computer dropped to 3.5 two times, finally settling on 3.6 again, while the weather is slightly less warm and Econ is now switched off for the first time (which is noticeable when accelerating from standstill and lower speeds).
The previous tank gave me 966 kilometers of driving. With these economy figures, I’m tempted to go beyond 1000 km  8)

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2021, 08:43:35 PM »
The mighty Jazz keeps surprising me.
During the last full tank of fuel, the trip computer showed 3.6 l/100 km for almost the whole time. My own calculation after filling up was 3.61 l/100 km (78.25 mpg). I mostly did commuting (50 & 70 kph) and only two short stints of motorway at 110. Always in B mode with econ on.
The surprising thing (to me) is, today the fuel consumption on the trip computer dropped to 3.5 two times, finally settling on 3.6 again, while the weather is slightly less warm and Econ is now switched off for the first time (which is noticeable when accelerating from standstill and lower speeds).
The previous tank gave me 966 kilometers of driving. With these economy figures, I’m tempted to go beyond 1000 km  8)
Somebody please tell me what 3.6 l/100 km means, as I don't live in Belgium.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2021, 08:53:36 PM »
3.6 Litres per hundred kilometres or 78.25 mpg as Pirre says in his post.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »

Does the job: https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/fuelconsumption.php
If nothing goes right, go left!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2021, 12:39:59 PM »
Just a comment on mpg as against litres per 100 km.

I am pretty old but I genuinely can't my head round the litres per 100 km thing. I'm OK with a lot of metric stuff (I've moved on from pounds and ounces ;)).

I think the stumbling block for me is that it is "the other way round" - ie how much fuel to do a certain distance as opposed to mpg where it is the distance you get out of each unit of fuel. This means I can't perceive whether, say, 5 litres/100 km is economical or not.

Mental block.

Tags: