Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 13676 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Seen today
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
I made up a Heath Robinson contraption to allow me to fit a mini wiper motor and cable boxes (there was nothing behind the dashboard). What a difference that made.
The first car I learned to drive on was a Vauxhall Wyvern and the wipers on that were driven off the gearbox. They were like a rev counter. The faster the engine revved the faster the wipers went!

guest4871

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »
Brother and I bought a 1953 Ford Prefect with 1172sv engiine,,,  rebuilt it.. Learned car diy..

First car I owned myself was a  £30 1929 Riley 9 Monoaco with fabric body , and magneto ignition.. Carried a spare magneto as it tended to overheat and stop. Magneto in/out was  10 minute job..
Petrol tank moutnted on front bulkhead in engine bat over driver's feet.. H&S   whaotsthat?
Sold it for £80..

Those were the days  of unreliable motoring ...

I had a 1929 Austin Seven with the petrol tank mounted on front bulkhead. Must have been "the thing" you had to have back then. The roof came over the top of the windscreen. My Morris Eight had leather seats, a sliding roof, a windscreen that wound up from the bottom and a roller blind on the rear window (which proved very useful at the time  ;) ).

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 05:11:56 PM »
I think the petrol tank on the bulkhead was to allow gravity feed to the carburettor, often mounted low down on the engine. This 1920s' Ford uses that system. Photo was taken at Glamis Castle Scottish Transport Extravaganza.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 05:18:39 PM »
The first car we ever had was a 1939 Hillman Minx. The year was 1959 and I was 11 at the time. This was before MOTs and my dad had to get a bank loan to buy it! It had leather seats, wood dashboard, a windscreen that wound open at the bottom, fresh air vents in the footwell and even a metal sunroof (though my dad never risked opening it).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
I think the petrol tank on the bulkhead was to allow gravity feed to the carburettor, often mounted low down on the engine. This 1920s' Ford uses that system. Photo was taken at Glamis Castle Scottish Transport Extravaganza.

Correct.

And no water pump so huge radiator and thermo syphon.

My 1946 Rover 16 saloon had leather radiator muffs to aid engine warm up, As the cooling system contained 4 gallons or so of water, warming up was a slow process. Oil changes every 1,000 miles. Oil filter?   None. Air filter - wire mesh.. SU mechanical  fuel pump mounted on engine block under exhaust system. It did tend  to vapour lock in hot weather   stopping dead until car cooled down.. Blackwall tunnel.. just got out and it stopped...
Many fond memories - went on honeymoon to  Dumfries in it... Kept removing confetti years later..

Brake fade on long Highland descent in Aberdeenshire : all four drums glowing red and stink and white smoke from asbestos brake linings. (I used freewheel so no engine braking on overrun - never again...)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:42:37 PM by madasafish »

guest4871

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 07:27:35 PM »
I remember, one summer, taking a "sit up and beg" Ford Anglia over the Pyrenees from France to Spain which developed fuel starvation as the car climbed the hills. Turned the car round and reversed for a few miles up over the top. It worked fine! Then, it was down hill all the way. Gravity is a wonderful thing.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 09:04:01 PM »
Dad had a 1946 Ford Anglia. Every time you went over a bump the driver's window would disappear down into the door. Ended up sticking a batten of wood between the glass and the door bottom. It also kept jumping out of gear so dad had to drive with his hand on the gear lever.
I would sneak it out of the garage and freewheel down the long lane to the road, then stick it in reverse and wind it back up with the starting handle (saw that trick on "Ice Cold In Alex" only they took the spark plugs out). The registration number was FFG 8.

Just like this one.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 12:46:41 PM »
Driving into Edinburgh today I just spotted an immaculate M reg Range Rover. Yucky green colour but pristine. What's M? 1974 or 75! Just checked. 1973.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:49:10 PM by Jocko »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
Today, again in Edinburgh, I pulled up behind a Beetle with a split rear screen. It looked a bit rough but as far as I am aware it was at least 67 years old! Wish I looked as well for my age.
Same as this one.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 09:08:08 AM »
While travelling on the Edinburgh City Bypass this morning I spotted a police patrol car, lights flashing, in lane 2 of the opposite carriageway. Traffic on my carriageway started to slow, and I thought it was the usual rubbernecking, but it was a middle-aged woman with two large bags of shopping on the central reservation, trying to cross. Now despite lockdown and reduced vehicles, this is still a busy dual carriageway with traffic, mainly heavy trucks, travelling at 50 - 60 mph. I hope she got a fine and not just a good talking to.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »
I hope she got a fine and not just a good talking to.

Depends on whether the Edinburgh City Bypass is a motorway or not. If it is then M-way rules apply and walking on it is illegal so she could be fined. If it's not a motorway then she is perfectly entitled to be there. Maybe not an intelligent or safe thing to do, but not illegal. There's a section of the A303 (fast rural dual carriageway) that actually has pedestrian warning signs and gaps in the central barrier where public footpaths cross the road.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 12:12:57 PM »
There are signs at each on-ramp saying no bicycles, no animals and no pedestrians.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 12:47:28 PM »
Interesting posts  :)
My first car was a VW Beetle, it had a pneumatic windscreen washer system which was powered by a tube connected to the spare wheel.
You had to be careful, if you had a puncture there was always a possibility that the spare was flat  :(
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
There are signs at each on-ramp saying no bicycles, no animals and no pedestrians.

Ah well, you didn’t say that did you! If that’s the case then you’re right your pedestrian shouldn’t have been there (although it does beg the question about how someone crossing a road is supposed to know about signage positioned so that only drivers would see it). But in general on any road not an M-way and where no local regulations have been applied, including dual carriageways, there is no ban on pedestrians or any other type of road user.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
Today, again in Edinburgh, I pulled up behind a Beetle with a split rear screen. It looked a bit rough but as far as I am aware it was at least 67 years old! Wish I looked as well for my age.
My first car was one of these.
No synchromesh on any of the gears.
I've still got the toolbox and some of the original tools. The toolbox fitted into the spare wheel under the bonnet.
Carried it in all my cars up until I had the Jazz.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:10:02 PM by JimSh »

Tags:

anything