Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 5260 times)

Pirre

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:hev Executive
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »

[/quote]That is excellent. That is the BEST I have ever achieved with my Mk 1. Come the summer, you should easily exceed that.
[/quote]

That’s really impressive. I had a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2 for four years (bought in 2015). The best I achieved with that car in summer was about 55.4 mpg... Haha. Fun car to drive though.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »
I was initially sceptical about the claimed efficiency benefits of hybrid technology, as all the energy still comes from petrol.  However, the real world figures reported here show that the combination of engine efficiency and regenerative braking make improvements of around 35% very realistic.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 12:27:29 PM »
I was initially sceptical about the claimed efficiency benefits of hybrid technology, as all the energy still comes from petrol.  However, the real world figures reported here show that the combination of engine efficiency and regenerative braking make improvements of around 35% very realistic.

The hybrid scores in several ways, one being that kinetic energy is converted to electricity and  recuperated (stored) in the battery while braking or decelerating, and the stored electricity can be converted back to kinetic energy to propel the car. A non-hybrid  simply wastes kinetic energy to heat in the brake pads and discs . Other differences are adoption of the Atkinson cycle for the engine, which trades off torque for economy of  fuel consumption, Atkinson cycle engines are better when assisted by a hybrid electric motor to plug the gap for reduced engine torque

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 10:13:14 PM »
The hybrid scores in several ways, one being that kinetic energy is converted to electricity and  recuperated (stored) in the battery while braking or decelerating, and the stored electricity can be converted back to kinetic energy to propel the car. A non-hybrid  simply wastes kinetic energy to heat in the brake pads and discs . Other differences are adoption of the Atkinson cycle for the engine, which trades off torque for economy of  fuel consumption, Atkinson cycle engines are better when assisted by a hybrid electric motor to plug the gap for reduced engine torque
Also the hybrid system means that the engine (when running) spends more time in its most efficient range. Something I noticed when I first got my Crosstar and used Torque + a Bluetooth OBDII reader to monitor the engine behaviour was that the engine was never run at below 1600 rpm. My presumption is that excess power goes to the battery which then takes over and lets the engine go to sleep. This behaviour is very noticeable in crawling traffic. The hybrid system, however, provides minimal benefit during motorway cruising.

Pirre

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:hev Executive
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »
Today, for the first time since purchasing the car in March, my Jazz started in EV mode with 5 bars of ‘juice’ in the box, after standing still outside for 7 hours! We’re having a hot spell here in Belgium (25°C and up), and it’s clearly having a positive effect on the battery.
While driving home from work, EV mode also came on more often than I was used to until now. Average consumption was 3.8 l/100km at departure, and after a 20 min. drive had dropped to 3.6 (about 78 mpg) with A/C on. I have ECON on in B mode.
This is making me very optimistic about summertime fuel consumption  :D

Tags: