Author Topic: Updated HRV  (Read 7704 times)

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Updated HRV
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Updated HRV
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
Reads like they just pasted in the entire press release.

Followed a HR-V the other day when I had Mrs R in the car - she recognised the Honda logo on the back, but had no idea what the car was.  Told her it was HR-V and she reckoned she'd never seen one before and was astonished at how big it looked. 

I'm taking daughter's Jazz in for service next week and they've told me I'm having a HR-V courtesy car, so I'll be quite interested to try it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
I have never fancied the HR-V. I have never driven one. I wasn't fussed for a CR-V either, until I had a courtesy car last year and I enjoyed driving it, so I would probably like HR-V too. I had never even owned a hatchback (didn't fancy one!) until I bought my Jazz. Prejudices are strange things, but can be easily overcome by experience.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
Good timing for me.  I just picked up a demo and take it back tomorrow afternoon.  Will almost definately be waiting for the facelift model.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
Just spoken to my salesman who says that the EX is delayed until January due a part resourcing issue but was able to tell me that the price will be £26,805 + metallic paint.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
There was a rumour a few months ago that the facelift HR-Vs would be coming from Japan (the current line-up comes from Mexico). I wonder if there's any update on this. While the quality problems of Honda's Mexico factory are shrinking it's likely that the Japanese output will be better (I also wonder if components sourced from USA aren't as as good as those from Asia).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »
Oh well - no chance to try HR-V for us.  Took daughters car in for service to be presented with a Jazz courtesy car.  Mentioned I was told it would be a HR-V and was looking forward to trying it.  Shrug - "it's out with another customer".

Do you make a fuss over these things?  I didn't, but why even mention supplying a specific courtesy car if it's not certain.

Our other daughter is looking for a new car and HR-V really should be in the mix.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
I would have said, "Oh that's a pity. I was thinking of buying an HR-V and thought this would be an ideal opportunity to give it a thorough try out"

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
I did say I was looking forward to trying it, although wasn't explicit about why.  I could have made a fuss but then you get sucked in to a sales process and I wanted an 'unencumbered' trial of the car.

To be honest, I don't see us buying another car from that dealership, and there's no other practical alternative Honda dealer as they've thinned out in the last few years.

I have to say the new Jazz they gave me is horrible - it feels like a car that's done 40K miles, not 2K.  I know "they don't make 'em like they used to" and the mk2 didn't seem as solid as the mk1, but this one feels horribly cheap and nasty.  It's incredibly noisy too.  The black box above the mirror is very obtrusive, but I suppose you'd get used to it.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »
To be honest, I don't see us buying another car from that dealership, and there's no other practical alternative Honda dealer as they've thinned out in the last few years.
Borrow one from your local dealer for testing but, unless there's a must-have feature on the refresh models, I would recommend looking for an ex-demonstrator or ex-Honda staff vehicle with the right specs https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars/honda/hr-v?model=450&mkey=46-500009-267954&max=12&view=list&sort=price%3AASC#result-tools-top. With the new reg numbers about to start the dealers will likely be getting some new demonstrators and will then need to shift the older vehicles. There can also be some pre-reg deals where dealers have registered an extra vehicle or two in order to reach a target.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 02:18:00 PM »
Just driven my brother's 2017 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.4 boosterjet ( 1.4 turbo petrol) AWD and was very impressed - mainly with the engine, it is an absolute peach. Has other bells and whistles like adaptive cruise control, auto brake, reversing camera etc. Pulls smoothly and powerfully from low revs and in sports mode it flies ( 6 speed manual but gearbox is light as a feather ). According to bro fuel consumption is on a par with his last diesel Kuga. 

It is about same size as HRV, I know from my motorbike that Suzuki build absolutely brilliant engines, and this Vitara engine is absolutely cracking - worth a drive if you are looking at HRV.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 10:06:24 PM »
Daughter ended up with SEAT Ateca SE-L - very nice spec, leather seats, LED headlights, sat-nav etc etc.  I was a bit worried about the 1 litre 3cyl turbo engine in such a size of car but it goes well and is doing 45MPG in mixed use.  Shade under £20K cash.

Interestingly there's a member on the Ateca forum I joined who had a HR-V and said it was the least reliable car he'd owned and the experience has put him off Honda for life.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 06:30:25 AM »
The first batch or two of HR-Vs did include some very troublesome vehicles. Look for Aerodeck's posts in the HR-V forum as an example https://www.hrvforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=603&p=3594#p3594 - I suspect that's the person in the Seat forum). I'm not sure which were the biggest contributory factors: Teething troubles in the factory in Mexico; components made in the Americas not being up to Europe / Asia quality; or changes made for the European market. The current HR-Vs are now coming from Japan with few reports of problems.

I also noted the Vitara as being a possible alternative to the HR-V. I'd be much less worried about the longevity of a moderately boosted 1.4 engine than a highly boosted 1.0 engine (I wonder how compliant the emissions are under normal usage). Which of these alternatives offer the same internal space as the HR-V within the same external size and have a flat folding rear seat?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
https://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/new-suzuki-vitara-s-debuts-with-turbo/
https://www.carwow.co.uk/suzuki/vitara/practicality

Not as big in the luggage department but review says the rear seat copes with 3 people better than many other small SUV, including Honda HRV.  As I said though that engine is bl00dy marvelous,  I was amazed - it felt better than my 1.8 Civic lower down ( so would maybe please someone who is ditching their Diesel).  Have to say the gearbox was a delight, and there is a lifting collar on the gearstick to block reverse,  something sadly missing on Honda cars.  Engine has been around since 2015 and Suzuki reliability is well up there ( as are most Jap companies) - I would not even look at VAG cars as they seem to have lost the plot on reliability big-time.

'The Vitara S uses a turbocharged 138hp (140PS) 1.4-litre petrol engine with direct injection and 162lb ft (220Nm) of torque available from 1500 to 4000rpm.'
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 09:55:15 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
Took delivery today.  First impressions are very good.  Still early days but build quality looks and feels good.  No more cog changing :).

I opted to purchase the spare wheel kit.  Space saver + wheel brace + jack and that came to £133.33 +VAT which I thought was quite reasonable.

Tags:

anything