Author Topic: Hello from a "New" used Jazz Hybrid buyer  (Read 6052 times)

twitchy53

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz Hybrid HS
Hello from a "New" used Jazz Hybrid buyer
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:11:13 PM »
Hi, I picked up a 2012 Hybrid with about 40K on it for a good price, and now, I'm trying to find the best way to basically use more battery power, and less petrol.  So I'm diving deep to find any posts related to under what circumstances the car runs on EV opposed to using any petrol at all.  So if you have any tips I'm all ears.  Thanks.

Located in UK, must update my profile too..

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Hello from a "New" used Jazz Hybrid buyer
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
Hi, I picked up a 2012 Hybrid with about 40K on it for a good price, and now, I'm trying to find the best way to basically use more battery power, and less petrol.  So I'm diving deep to find any posts related to under what circumstances the car runs on EV opposed to using any petrol at all.  So if you have any tips I'm all ears.  Thanks.

Located in UK, must update my profile too..

Consensus on here seems to be that Jazz hybrid rarely uses battery as the battery usage algorithm is very conservative in order to prolong battery lifetime (it does not discharge battery below about 60% maybe).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
The IMA stands for Integrated Motor Assist, it doesn't ever decouple from the internal combustion engine - when driving on battery it still turns the ICE although with zero petrol and probably little resistance.  The MK3 iDCD hybrids available in other territories do have a true EV mode fully de-clutched from the petrol side.

The Insight forums are probably the place for some dark arts tweaking of the IMA hybrids.
--
TG

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
Some tips for good MPG based on my experience:

- Change oil to Honda Hybrid Oil
- Do not warm up engine stationary unless outside temperature is below 0
- If possible, do not use heating until "cold engine light" goes off
- Drive in D and Switch ON Econ button
- Lift foot from throttle covering brake and allow car to coast before full stop. This stops fuel going into engine and low speed can be maintained by motor-generator only. In my experience is about 1.5 miles for speeds below 20mph
- Gradual braking when possible will charge your hybrid battery more efficiently and increase probability of  "auto stop"
- When you accelerate, do it steadily, kick down will not help much with CVT
- Anticipate traffic in front of you and enjoy quiet, smooth, relaxing driving with Jazz Hybrid

With all this, my MPG improved from 40 to 51 (indicated) and I manage to do 200 miles before my fuel needle is horizontal.

If you need to accelerate quickly in D, click left paddle, engine will increase revs and start pressing throttle moderately for most efficient acceleration.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
With all this, my MPG improved from 40 to 51 (indicated) and I manage to do 200 miles before my fuel needle is horizontal.
Have you done a tank top up to top up to get an accurate calculated mpg figure?

jazzavac

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »
Previous fuel fill was:
31.18l after 299.7 miles which is 43.42 MPG
Fuel is Shell V-Power, 80% was extra urban driving (junctions traffic lights) and 20% urban driving (not so frequent start /stops, but frequent slow downs and accelerations)

Current MPG will be affected by snow and very low temperatures these days, but I will post current MPG next week.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »
These are normal manual mpg numbers, i thought the hybrid was supposed to go well in to 50+mpg.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
These are normal manual mpg numbers, i thought the hybrid was supposed to go well in to 50+mpg.

Agree. Doesn't seem very impressive for a small hybrid.

I can get better without trying in my 2.5l hybrid Rav4. I can get in the 50s if I try hard on a longish rural or motorway trip. Mid 30s for stop/start around my hilly locality.

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz HybridHX-T
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
I bought a 2012 Hybrid (with 48k) miles in June this year. Now covered 2k miles and the MPG has ranged from 43 up to 51 according to the computer.

My complaint is that the row of switches for the heated rear screen, windscreen demist etc. do not have illumination (apart from the recycling /exterior air supply buttons yellow or green dot). Is there meant to be background lighting with the rest of the dash so you don't have to fumble in the dark?

jazzavac

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
Your consumption looks OK, mine is at 50 mpg around town with lot of short trips (approx 6 miles) and traffic lights.

Symbols on the switches you mention have background light which switches on along with other light on centre console - when you switch your car lights on.

However, it is possible that the bulb behind switches has failed - I had the the same problem with A/C ON/OFF button.

I replaced the bulb with LED T10 version, but be careful as LED light colour will be different. You may consider to replace all three bulbs in the A/C console - top ON/OFF and fan speed switch, bottom temperature and flow direction switch and mentioned set of four buttons.

You have to remove radio console first, then to remove the L shaped A/C control panel, and then it is very easy to replace the bulbs.

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz HybridHX-T
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »
Thanks Jazzavac.

I have the HX version with Sat Nat so will carefully explore how I gain access to the background lighting for the switches. Does each switch have its own or is it a strip light behind?

Tags: