Author Topic: The CVT option - real drivers opinion  (Read 4379 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
The CVT option - real drivers opinion
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »
I have read so many negative reviews of the CVT transmission that I'd convinced myself that they were absolute crap. I had arranged a test drive today but cancelled because of the bad weather.

Yesterday, however, I met up with some old pals (first Monday of the month) for lunch. As luck would have it one drives a 2012 Civic and the other a 2013 Jazz both CVTs. I put it to them that the engine revved like hell and that they were an unpleasant drive. I mentioned a drive, as a passenger,  in a friend's CVT that went some way  to confirming what I had read. Both were bemused. They said that CVT was a lovely smooth drive with no jerkiness and no harsh revving unless you planted the accelerator to the floor. If you were a relatively sedate driver, they were ideal. The key was progressive acceleration and not stamping the pedal to the metal. Both said that they wouldn't hesitate to buy a Honda with a CVT gearbox.

I am close to being convinced.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: The CVT option - real drivers opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:41 PM »
The only negative reviews you will read about the CVT box are from journalists who do not bother to understand how a CVT works.
Excluding any electronic artificial fiddling by Honda a CVT box is a smooth,stepless transmission that responds to the throttle any way you want it to. You want to potter along keeping up with the traffic flow then the CVT will oblige, hanging on to a high gear. If you want accelerate then open the throttle as you would in any car. The gearbox changes down according to how wide you open the throttle. The only time things will get more noisy is if you open the throttle wide and then,like any engine with an auto box ,the revs will rise as will the noise, the gear box will change down to provide the demanded performance. As soon as you back off the throttle the revs will drop.
A CVT operates the same as any other auto box except that it is seamless and less complicated.
The 'S' function is very useful but that is another story.
In a Jazz the CVT is very economical as it is highly geared when wound up into its top gear ratio at 30mph/1000rpm.
You will not be diappointed if you buy a CVT version of the Jazz, I am on my fifth.

Vic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:04:05 PM by VicW »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
+1 
I find that for 90% of my motoring the revs never get much above 3000 rpm which is only half of what the engine is capable of. Certainly if you floor it, then the revs will rise much higher, as they would in any other car.

At 70Mph the revs are circa 2400rpm (not my idea of high speed) and wind/road noise is predominant.
As Vicw says, you will not be disappointed.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
I didn't enjoy my experience of driving the CVT. I found it too "busy". Perhaps if I had a longer acquaintance than just a test drive, I would grow to accept it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
I didn't enjoy my experience of driving the CVT. I found it too "busy". Perhaps if I had a longer acquaintance than just a test drive, I would grow to accept it.

Strange that both the official and honest John 'real world' mpg is about 2mpg better for manual than CVT.  My wife had a CVT and it was OK for pootling around and good in traffic,  but making progress I found the rubber-band effect disconcerting.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
My ScanGauge E records info between fuel ups and you can interrogate it regarding This Tank, Previous Day, Current Day, Current Journey, etc. One of the things it records is max rpm. I did 5 short journeys, in town, this morning, and as a matter of interest checked max rpm I had recorded. It never reached 2,200 rpm! You can probably understand why I don't like the CVT.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
Why do people think that to get anywhere driving a CVT you have to rev it? This isn't so. In any car, manual or auto, you have to apply revs to move away from stationary then you change up a gear or two if in traffic or go through the box if on the open road. The auto does all that for you except that a CVT does not rev up and down as it goes up the gearbox. The revs rise, the car accelerates and when you have reached your selected speed you shut the throttle down and the revs drop. At 2000rpm you are doing 60mph.
The CVT is ideal in traffic the same as any auto, no gear manual gear changing. Want to accelerate then open the throttle the same as you do in any car except that there is gear lever to play with.
The CVT gearbox isn't noisy, it's the engine revs you hear when you open the throttle.

Vic.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
I suppose another acid test is how many people buy a CVT (in any make) decide they hate it and go back to manual? I have to say I haven't come across anybody yet who has done this.

I'm also looking at my driving profile. Mostly short stuff. I might go on the motorway once a month. That seems an ideal profile for a CVT.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
I loved my Autos. Drove them for 25 years before the Jazz. Swore I'd never have another manual. I'll probably go back to an Auto after the Jazz (if I am still driving or haven't gone electric). May have to be a CVT, as there is not a lot of option these days. Certainly won't be a DSG.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
I have driven autos on and off for decades.My simple experience is this: an auto transmission without a torque convertor is pants. And only move the gear selector when you stop and park, reverse, or want to select Sport or Dive mode.

Otherwise buy a manual gearbox.. (The name "automatic" is a not so subtle hint of how to drive it)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
I agree that Autos without a torque converter are pants, however the MK 3 Jazz CVT does have one.

Where did this idea of not moving the gear stick come from? I always engage neutral plus handbrake, if I'm going to be stopped for more that a few seconds and then engage drive, either when the red/amber light shows, or the brake lights go off, two cars in front.

Leaving the car in drive when stopped, is an unnecessary strain on the transmission/ brakes, plus of course contributing to that sea of brake lights in stopped traffic.

VicW

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
I agree that Autos without a torque converter are pants, however the MK 3 Jazz CVT does have one.

The CVT was reintroduced along with a change to torque converter at the 2011 facelift.

Vic.

guest1372

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
It would not be beyond reason to hold the paddle shifter to put the vehicle into neutral, and release to engage drive and pull away (F1 launch mode!) plus I'm now quite a convert to electronic parking brakes which also let's you just drive away. 
--
TG

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 08:58:35 PM »
One thing that intrigues me about the CVT is the expected lifespan of a 'belt' compared with a conventional box. I realise it is sort of self adjusting on the wear and tear front given its design, but even that must meet its maker at some point. It looks simple enough but is it a difficult or expensive part to replace?

Tags:

anything