Author Topic: Honda Jazz in car entertainment and upgrade options  (Read 55523 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Jazz in car entertainment and upgrade options
« on: November 29, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »
The Jazz comes fitted with one of the following radio units as standard:

GD Models:

* 2-speaker, RDS Radio/Cassette (S models, 2002-03)
    * 4-speaker, RDS Radio/Cassette (SE models, 2002-03)
    * 2-speaker, RDS Radio/CD player (S models, 2003-on)
    * 4-speaker, RDS Radio/CD player (SE models 2003-on, SE Sport & Sport)
    * Honda Satellite Navigation System (dealer option) with CD player.
    * 3.5mm AUX-in socket for portable audio devices (all models from 2006)
    * Steering wheel mounted controls for volume, mode and channel/track select (SE and Sport from 10/2004)
    * Can play audio tracks on CD-R and CD-RW's but not MP3/WMA's

GE Models:

* RDS Radio/CD player with MP3/WMA compatibility and AUX-in socket (extra speakers on ES and EX models)
    * USB socket for memory stick, iPod, MP3 players, etc (EX model)

The units are integrated into the dashboard to discourage theft and come with a clock in the display which is only operational when the ignition is on. One of the neat features is location of the volume control on the right of the unit fon GD models - just right (no pun intended) for right-hand-drive!

Later SE & Sport models came with a redesigned unit with larger buttons and display. S models kept the older-style unit. SE & Sport models from October 2004 come with steering wheel mounted controls to work the volume, radio channel/track selection and mode switch (i.e., swap between CD and radio bands). From 2006, a AUX-in socket was included to allow an iPod, MP3 player or any portable device with a headphones output to be connected and played through the stereo.

These upgrade options are available for most Honda Jazz models:

- Add a USB/iPod or AUX-in connection to the existing unit.
- Add a Bluetooth Hands Free Telephone kit that supports music streaming.
- Replace the existing unit with an aftermarket unit.
- Replace the radio/cassette with a radio/CD from another Jazz
- Replace the radio/CD with a Honda Sat Nav unit from another Jazz
- Add a CD changer - either the boot or glovebox-mounted Honda changers of aftermarket kits from Halfords, etc.

All models support controlling a CD changer and therefore should support the installation of a USB or AUX-in socket.

But first...consider this:

- Removing the radio (at least for the GD models) is not an easy job! :)
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=4589.0
- All GD models from 2006 and all GE models already have an AUX-in for connecting an iPod/MP3 player via the headphones socket.
- GE models in EX or 2012-MY ES & Si specifications have a USB connection.
- If your GE Jazz is the 'T' specification with Sat Nav (e.g., S-T, SE-T, ES-T, etc) then it may support music streaming from a mobile phone or MP3 player via Bluetooth as part of the Hands Free Telephone (HFT).
- All OEM radios fitted to GE models will play MP3/WMA CDs.
- All OEM radios fitted to all Jazzes can read CD-R & CD-RW blank CDs.
- Buying an FM transmitter from Currys, Argos, Amazon, ebay, etc., to stream music to your car radio by tuning into a free FM frequency on your radio is a cheap and easy alternative.

Replacing the radio unit with after-market Unit.

There are a few hurdles to overcome when installing an after-market unit (the ‘standard’ single or double-DIN design units from Blaupunket, Sony, JVC, etc). The big issue here is the purchase of some additional accessories, as specified below. Note that this is provided for guidance only - always check with the manufacturer of your replacement radio unit to confirm what fitting accessories are required and the correct part numbers.

Obviously, choosing this route will take away the look of your dashboard and these after-market devices are more prone to theft.

It’s worth checking to see if any replacement ICE units will retain the use of the steering wheel-mounted radio controls fitted to some Jazz’s.

Replacing the Radio/Cassette with the Honda Radio/CD (Jazz GD models)

The other alternative is to replace the factory-fit radio cassette with the factory-style radio/CD unit as fitted by Honda to other Jazz models provides a quick way of upgrading whilst maintaining the look and feel or your interior. In many cases it should be just a case of swapping one for other, however there are two issues to consider:

1. Check the radio is similar to your existing model, as later models have different aerial connections (see section entitled, “Replacing the Radio Unit with After-market Unit.”)

2. The heating/ventilation/air con control surrounds are moulded into the radio housing and can vary between model-to-model. Later facelifted cars have different graphics to show the heating/ventilation settings and the Sport model with its electronic climate control uses a completely different design, so a Sport-spec radio unit will not fit on a SE dashboard.

You can fit the radio/CD from the facelifted cars (October 2004+), providing you consider points listed above.

Replacement factory-spec radio units can be picked up from your Honda dealer or on eBay (removed after the owner fitted a sat-nav or after-market radio unit).

Aerial Adaptor

Some models require a new adaptor to allow the aerial to be connected to your replacement head unit. This depends on model year and replacement unit choice.

Part reference: PC5-141 (March 2006-2008)

Wiring Adaptor

The wiring adaptor connects the head unit to the wiring harness. The standard-fit head unit uses a different connector to the ISO standard used by replacement head units to connect the head unit to the power and speaker cables.

Part reference: PC2-09-4 (for 2002-March 2004 models)

Part reference: PC2-68-4 (April 2004-2008)

Fascia Adaptor

A new fascia adaptor is required to house the replacement head unit. This would either come as 1DIN or 2DIN designs, the latter required for upgrades to some sat-nav systems. Care should be taken to select the correct type, as the fascia adaptor also includes the mouldings for the heating/ventilation controls. So if you own a 2004-2008 Sport or any model fitted with electronic climate control, you will need a different type then for other models.

Sadly, many audio stockists don’t sell the fascia adaptors, despite stocking the required wiring & aerial adaptors!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:59:10 PM by RichardA »

newjazzy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4I DSi SE Manual Satin Silver Mettalic
Re: Honda Jazz in car entertainment and upgrade options
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Brilliant information, thanks.

One question, when adding an aftermarket SD/USB/Aux adaptor.
Which socket is this plugged into on the rear of the head unit?

I have not removed the head unit yet but would like to purchase the adaptor before the guy comes to install my Parrot CK300 from my previous vehicle.  I would then be in a position to plug the unit in whilst the head unit is removed by the installer.  Crafty I know, but he is getting paid to do it.   ;D ;D ;D

I would appreciate a swift reply please.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »

ChristoC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:41:27 PM »
I'm looking to get a jazz (undecided which Mk, but will be Mk1 or Mk2).  I was hoping to have a DAB radio so that i can get BBC Radio 5 ! - which for some reason doesnt work well on FM... is there a way to convert to DAB, or a way to get Radio 5 !
I believe there are antenna's you can get and plug in to reverse of stereo, but not having seen the unit, im not sure how easy that might be?
thanks!

guest1372

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
I was hoping to have a DAB radio so that i can get BBC Radio 5 ! - which for some reason doesnt work well on FM... is there a way to convert to DAB, or a way to get Radio 5 !
A few options:
Pure Highway 300di
Pure Highway 400 (inc. Bluetooth)
Autodab Go (inc. Bluetooth)

Autodab Go is the best of this bunch for simplest installation, plus can either re-transmit via FM or feed the auxiliary input on the back of the head unit.  Mk1 aerial can be used via a splitter* and I've found reception faultless along the A1; Mk2 aerial is a smaller powered/boosted unit so may need an independent DAB aerial.  Often the units include an adhesive windscreen patch aerial but I've not used one as I believe an external one is probably better.
--
TG

* http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CT27AA136  suits my early 2002/03 CD head unit

ChristoC

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
thanks very much indeed

ChristoC

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 12:14:26 PM »
Hi
I've been told that it is possible to purchase some kind of universal unit to the radio that enables DAB to be played. Quote is £250 for unit and install!
Does anyone know what this unit is called (hoping i can source one cheaper)?
Does anyone have one fitted?
Thanks!

guest1372

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
As above, £90 new or £50 eBay plus aerial splitter.  Doesn't need fitting if you use FM relay but wired to Aux is best.  My control box wires go through the small grill on dash between radio and steering column.
--
TG

ChristoC

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 03:36:11 PM »
Thanks again, sorry its all a bit double dutch to me.

so i need 1 of the 3 products (pure or auto dab) AND
if MK1 a splitter OR
if a MK2 a smaller powered/boosted unit and maybe an independent DAB aerial

is that correct? ::)
If so can you advise on a suitable smaller powered/boosted unit?

Also, i dont know what MK my jazz is ... ::)  My reg starts... KJ08

guest1372

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
If you have an old style Jazz with a long whip at the front the existing aerial is OK for DAB, if you have a newer Jazz with the stubby amplified aerial at the back it's not that good so a dedicated DAB aerial may help.
--
TG

ChristoC

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 06:06:24 PM »
thanks my friend.

beardyboy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: MY19 Jazz +Sport
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 05:40:19 AM »
Have you any tips for upgrading the head unit on a 2019 Jazz. Im about to take the factory Navigation/media unit out and replace it with a JVC/Kenwood apple car play system.

josephseed

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Civic
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »
Hello people,

I have a Jazz 2009 model and would like to upgrade the head unit.
After several hours of research my favorite units are the Kenwood double din head units.
I was looking at the Kenwood DDX9703S, because it is the best rated Kenwood on Amazon and it doesn't has too many negatives.
This site https://greatestspeakers.com/kenwood-ddx9703s-review/ says that when I start the car there will be always a legal notice that I need to approve. Is that true?

Did anyone install a Kenwood in the Jazz and was it working without issues?
Thanks!

Tags:

anything