Author Topic: Rattling sound from under  (Read 8098 times)

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
Re: Rattling sound from under
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 08:09:45 PM »
 How would I know that he definitely replaced both of them?

On a separate subject, anyone know how I can improve the reception on my radio I’m getting a lot of  scratchy sound? I have a metal stub aerial. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:13:26 PM by u587162 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »
How would I know that he definitely replaced both of them?
A quick look behind the wheels will soon tell. New ones are clean metal, old ones are rusty. Just turn the wheels, in turn, to full lock, and have a look.

Njazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 SE Sport
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 09:42:51 AM »
I checked my drop arms yesterday as again I heard the knocking noise while sat in the car rocking it from side to side, now if these needed replacing how would I know? Would they be loose with a bit of free play in them?

Only reason I ask is that there is no movement in them at all so to me they seem fine.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
I could feel no movement in mine, but I changed them anyway, and the rattle went away.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »
You need to use a pry bar to detect movement , if originals replacements  should improve the feel of your jazz anyhow.

u587162

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 02:44:13 PM »
These are the pics after it was changed.

Remind me what exactly these do again?  What happens if it they are not fitted - is it just a stabilisation thing?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:46:28 PM by u587162 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
These are the pics after it was changed.

Remind me what exactly these do again?  What happens if it they are not fitted - is it just a stabilisation thing?

https://www.howacarworks.com/basics/how-car-suspension-works

They are important to handling of the car, 'anti-roll bars' describes their purpose !   I have a theory that bumping one front wheel up and down kerbs does more damage than the speed bumps where both wheels go up and down together.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 04:52:58 PM »
My last two cars went through drop links like they were toffee. And I never ever bump over kerbs (Volvo had beautifully restored alloys). Speed bumps here are not full width, so inevitably one side gets it more than the other as it is not always possible to straddle them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 06:48:20 PM »
Only car I have had a drop link fail on was a Vauxhall,  I just added it to the long list of other things that failed on it - only Vauxhall I ever had ( guess why ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 08:25:46 PM »
One of mine was a Vauxhall as well. I have owned three Vauxhalls and loved every one.

u587162

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 08:52:09 PM »
What do you mean by anti roll exactly?

Last week I had an incident which I never experience before.  I was going around the roundabout at not huge speed but not slow either and suddenly the car continued moving in the same direction as I straightened out the wheel.  I panicked for a split second and had to turn the wheel in the opposite direction to correct the manoeuvre  as the front of the car was in a slightly different direction to the back of the car and had to get the car to go straight at that point  by taking corrective action.

After the event, I wasn’t sure if that was just my bad driving or if it had anything to do with the recent links that I changed. I tried to do the same thing again at a different roundabout but much slower speed but could not replicate it.   I’m worried that this  might happen to my wife when she is driving when collecting our children.

Is this an issue? Can the links be installed in such a way which might agree to this incident or would I just generally have been driving too fast and would’ve expected that anyway regardless of the links been changed ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 08:58:40 PM »
The incident you mention was probably a diesel spill on the roundabout. Nothing to do with the anti roll bar.
The anti roll bar does just that. As you corner and the outside suspension dips it transfers some of that motion to the inside wheel to limit the roll. The stiffer the anti roll bar the less roll a car has on corners. A sports car has stiffer roll bars than a saloon.
You cannot misfit a drop link. The village idiot could fit them. In the dark with boxing gloves on.
Your car is fine. Enjoy it and move on.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »
No roll bar:

Stiff roll bar:

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 10:27:48 PM »
I know someone who loved and owned several 2CV's. He recalled an occasion on his way home from the local waterhole late one evening after a skinful or two (in the days when skinfuls were shall we say, not uncommon) when he took a bend rather too sharply and found himself momentarily in the passenger seat before the suspension corrected and he was catapulted back into the driving position again. All in the blink or two of an eye. I believe he was a little stirred but not shaken.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:29:19 PM by MartinJG »

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 07:14:50 PM »
I checked my drop arms yesterday as again I heard the knocking noise while sat in the car rocking it from side to side, now if these needed replacing how would I know? Would they be loose with a bit of free play in them?

Only reason I ask is that there is no movement in them at all so to me they seem fine.

Replaced the driver side ARB drop link on our Jazz last year.

When the car was rocked side to side you could feel the movement or clicking when holding the ARB drop link.

Up here in Scotland, the chances are that the nuts are totally rusted solid and the only way you'll get them off easily is with a grinder.

If you need to buy new drop links double check the type as there may well be three different styles....all of which are listed as compatible for 2002~2008..they're not compatible unfortunately. We still have a spare drop link that was for our old 02 plate Jazz but it was of no use on the 56 plate.

This is the one that was fitted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Roll-Bar-Link-Front-Right-FDL6993-First-Line-Stabiliser-Drop-Link-Quality/332235777325?hash=item4d5acba52d:m:mZg8ck6ToaDjl4_Cmlq4LDQ:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

The change over seems to occur around 2004/05

Tags: