Author Topic: Nightmare jerking issue. Need help urgently with ODBII scan tool  (Read 3228 times)

JazzGD1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GD1 2008
Nightmare jerking issue. Need help urgently with ODBII scan tool
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:25:29 AM »
1. I DIY changed CVT with CVTF on 17 June 2018

2. My Jazz GD1 2008 ran fine from 17 June 2018 to 01 Sep 2018. During this 2.5 months, I changed gear D to N and N to D a lot whenever I stopped and went at traffic light. I am not sure this change D -> N, N -> D is good or bad for CVT gearbox.

3. From 1 Sep 2018, my Jazz GD1 started to jerk. At first week, it just jerked a bit at slow speed 10 ~ 20 kmh. Then it jerked more often and even jerked at high speed around 70 ~ 80 kmh. It seems to jerk more when go up slope, when tur on aircon, when carry more people. i.e 1 person jerk a bit, 2 persons jerk more, 3, 4, 5 persons jerk a lot. engine not enough power? I searched google, and one forum post suggested replacing CVTF with HMMF will solve the jerking issue. So I went to buy HMMF.

4. Yesterday 18 Sep 2018 was a nightmare for me. I went to buy HMMF and on the way home. I was with my wife traveling on highway at speed around 80 kmh. Then we went up slope exiting highway tunnel, the speed was reducing from 80kmh to 70kmh or 60kmh (I could not remember the extract speed but I could remember the speed of every cars around me also slowdown because we all went up slope). Then the nightmare happend. My jazz suddenly lost engine power, engine error light was on, batterry error light was on, oil error light was on. The speed reduced from 70kmh/60kmh to 0kmh within few seconds, I could only react by trying to drive to change to slower lane. When my jazz stopped at second most slower lane, I looked at mirror and saw a light lorry stopped right at few centimet behind my car. I was panic for a few seconds, did not know what to do, a long queue of cars formed behind me. Then I turned key to stop engine and tried to turn on engine again. Luckily, the engine could on again and I drove slowly to slowest lane and exited highway. After exited to safe place, I stopped the car and checked battery, CVT oil level, engine oil level, coolant level. Everything was normal, engine error light was off. I waited for half hour to calm down and slowly drive home.

5. When reach home, I immediate drained CVTF and re-filled with HMMF. The drained CVTF still very new. After re-filled with HMMF, I tested run 10 minutes and the jerk issue still occured but less often.

6. I searched google again, the jerk issue and lost power/stall issue may due to: wrong CVTF oil, spoiled Gearbox, spoiled 1 of 8 Sparkplugs, spoiled Sparkplug Coil, or ERG valves open...

7. I decided to buy ODBII scan tool to scan engine error code that was stored in the car memory to know what was exact issue. However, there are so many ODBII scan tool, I did not know which ODBII scan tool can work with Jazz GD1 2008 Asian car.

8. Please help to point a link on amazon that sale good/reliable ODBII scan tool which can work with Jazz GD1 2008 Asian car. Prefer plugin tool has its own monitor to show error code on its screen. Thank you.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Nightmare jerking issue. Need help urgently with ODBII scan tool
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
This is the one I use - Linkpower OBD MATE OBDII OM123 Car Vehicle Code Reader Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool for 2000 or later US, European and Asian OBD2 Protocol Vehicle
I have a Japanese built 2006 GD5

Sounds to me like you need to further flush the gearbox with the correct Honda transmission fluid.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »
Regarding the selection of D - N & N - D at traffic lights etc.

I have been driving Jazz CVT cars for a number of years and almost always select neutral when stopped for any length of time. I have had two Mk2 cars and currently a Mk3 and can report no trouble with any of them using this technique.

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Regarding the selection of D - N & N - D at traffic lights etc.

I have been driving Jazz CVT cars for a number of years and almost always select neutral when stopped for any length of time. I have had two Mk2 cars and currently a Mk3 and can report no trouble with any of them using this technique.

Thank you very much for confirmation on this technique. My wife and I argued a lot because we thought this technique spoiled CVT gearbox and caused the jerking issue. I was also confused and doubted myself to the point that I was afraid of  using this technique to avoid the jerking issue. I will continue use this technique after I solve the jerking issue.

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

I know you mention spark plugs coming up when googling but not sure if you changed them? shortly after i bought mine i thought i had jerkiness from gearbox but turned out to be worn spark plugs causing misfire,basically the gaps were too big,worth a quick look maybe?
my gaps were obviously big without even measuring  and i took one lot of 4 out and tapped em smallerand was fixed! i changedall 8 for new that weekend and been perfect for 9 months since.

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 02:44:18 AM »

I know you mention spark plugs coming up when googling but not sure if you changed them? shortly after i bought mine i thought i had jerkiness from gearbox but turned out to be worn spark plugs causing misfire,basically the gaps were too big,worth a quick look maybe?
my gaps were obviously big without even measuring  and i took one lot of 4 out and tapped em smallerand was fixed! i changedall 8 for new that weekend and been perfect for 9 months since.

I will change 8 sparkplus this Saturday. I suspected the jerking issue and the car stall on highway incident were caused by serious misfire, not by CVT gearbox.

Last night I did a stall test. I put the gear to D, left foot fully press brake pedal, right foot press accelerator pedal to rev engine to 2500 rpm for 3 seconds. I tried to maintain rev at 2500 rpm but the engine lost power and jerked a lot.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:40:25 AM »
I am surprised that the Malfunction warning light has not come on. Normally the least little thing triggers it.

JazzGD1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
I am surprised that the Malfunction warning light has not come on. Normally the least little thing triggers it.
When my car halted on highway, the engine error light was on.

Yesterday when I performed stall test on D gear to rev engine to 2500 rpm, the engine seemed like do not have enough power, very hard to move rev up to 2500 rpm and it jerked a lot but no error light was on.

Today evening, I drove the car around with aircon turned on, it still jerk a bit and it halted on small roads 2 times when I tried to move the car from stop position on light up slope. I had to turn the key off and turn on engine again without aircon to drive home. Battery error light and oil error light turned on when it halted but engine error light didn't not turn on. I am not sure if electric generator is also having issue? Not generate enough electricity to power aircon, head lights and charge battery?

Tomorrow I will send it to authorize dealer workshop to check error code.

Honda lost my trust.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:50:48 PM by JazzGD1 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
Tomorrow I will send it to authorize dealer workshop to check error code.
Perhaps not a bad idea. Your battery could be on its way out too. In your climate, batteries don't last that long. They don't like the heat. Ask the garage to check it out for you.

Tags: