Author Topic: Failed emissions test  (Read 2596 times)

guest7934

Failed emissions test
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »
Good evening all, new member here looking for some advice,  my wife has an '03 1.4 SE with about 134,700 miles on it. Bought about a year ago with a full ticket but has just failed the MOT emmisions test on the second fast idle with a reading of 0.24.

The engine check light is not showing any issues, am I looking at a new cat or are there any other foibles that might be the problem.

Cheers in advance, Andy  :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Failed emissions test
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:26:29 PM »
Found this on the net:
An oil change, air filter change and new spark plugs may well do the trick.
Anything there overdue? Have the rear set of plugs been changed?

guest7934

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
 :O So there really are 8 plugs!

I thought that was someone winding me up!  :P

Cheers Jocko, I'm guessing not then, there was no history or nice stack of receipts with the car so there's no way to tell.

Are there a particular brand that is prefered, always favoured Bosch Super 4s on my Mazdas  ::)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:16 PM »
I just fitted NKG BKR6E-11 . They have been in for a year and have been great. 8 plugs cost me £15 from a local motor factor.

guest7934

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
Cheers, that's actually way more financially palatable than I was expecting, just found a service kit on fleabay including plugs filters etc for £31, I was expecting much more than that!  8)

If the CAT was at fault, would the engine check light be on, given there are two lambdas? I only ask as I have zero experience with OBDII cars all my Mazdas are OBDI and a bit more primitive  ;D

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
Did you take it for a fast drive before MOT with lots of revs?  Fill up with Shell V Power first. My policy is 20 mile trip doing at least 3,000rpm all the way : cleans plugs, cylinder head, EGR valve and catalyst. Makes emissions tests a doddle..

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »
If the CAT was at fault, would the engine check light be on, given there are two lambdas? I only ask as I have zero experience with OBDII cars all my Mazdas are OBDI and a bit more primitive  ;D

Not necessarily. If running okay otherwise, get that air filter out and see what it's like.

Any other problems with the emissions, what was the lambda reading?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 10:07:18 PM »
Air filter normally does not effect a fuel injection engine.

guest7934

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't take it guys, the wife left it with them so it probably sat for a while  :(

The reading was, 0.24 on the second fast idle test with the max allowable being 0.2.

Purchased plugs, filters and oil this morning so I'll bang all of that on tomorrow morning  :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 10:55:16 PM »
Plugs and filters, and get it on the emissions tester hot hot hot!

If that doesn't work, you need to look for clues in the other emissions results.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
As advised change oil, plugs and air filter, fill tank with BP ultimate or similar and maybe redex to clean injectors.

Go for a couple of decent runs in the days before the test and make sure you use some revs and get the CAT hot. Short local mileage can coat the CAT internals up and stop it working properly -and you can get a rotten egg smell from tailpipe ( same thing happens to DPF on diesels and they can burn out). Most of my cars have done large daily mileage and never had one fail an emissions test, mostly the figures are same as a new car, engines and CATS do not like short runs - another reason not to buy a car that has only done very low mileage for its age.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything