Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201334 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
A point to remember when trying higher octane fuel. If you put half a tank of 97 on top of half a tank of 95 you have got a tank of 96
It will take you two or three fill ups with high octane before it's neat 97/99, whatever you are using.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2017, 04:05:22 PM »
I realise that, though I always run my tank right down before I refill.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
A point to remember when trying higher octane fuel. If you put half a tank of 97 on top of half a tank of 95 you have got a tank of 96
It will take you two or three fill ups with high octane before it's neat 97/99, whatever you are using.

Vic.

My tank was continually getting empty as I was doing about 450 miles a week just commuting.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »
I've often wondered if there is any difference between the supermarket "super" petrols (Tesco Momentum for example) and the branded ones. Octane, obviously not, but in terms of additives.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2017, 10:01:39 PM »
I've bought supermarket fuel, exclusively, for the best part of 40 years and never had the least bit of bother. That's not to say it is as good as the likes of Shell or Esso, but it has never given me any problems. Next time I intend trying Shell (it is Shell we use in the works vans), so I'll see how it goes.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
I think there's less difference in the petrols now than there was when supermarkets started selling. I had a Vauxhall back then with the red top 2 litre, and it did not like Tesco unleaded at all, so I ended up with mountains of tiger tokens from the Esso garage. These days, however, I think that while Shell, Esso, etc. may still be better quality fuel, the differences are marginal.

Diesel is another matter, our Terrano still does not like our local Morrisons' diesel, especially in the winter when it gels terribly. Some also suspect that lack of lubrication in cheap diesels has some part to play in common rail injector pump failures in cars that are particularly prone to this, Renault 1.5dci, Ford 2.0 TDCi for example. Some cars fail catastrophically at lowish mileages, whilst others go on to do hundreds of thousands without a problem, and some say the fuel has something to do with it.

It's also worth noting though that Tesco Momentum is 99 RON, one of the highest available on pumps here.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
It's the age old argument and everyone has their opinion on cheap fuel, but the way I see it is if the cheap supermarket stuff is only 2 or 3p a litre cheaper, and the top brands give you 2 or 3% more mileage, due to extra additives and lubricants, then there's no saving buying the cheap stuff. The top brands are also supposed to make your engine last longer so that's a plus.

A local taxi firm here stopped their drivers using the cheap stuff as it was causing valve problems with their cars. Previously had no problems when using the top brands.

As we have a BP station just 100 yds from our house we tend to use that.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
Yesterday I had to make a trip over to Danderhall, on the south side of Edinburgh. I then had a jaunt into the city, before returning to Danderhall then returning home to Kirkcaldy. It was a mix predominantly country roads, dual carriageway, with a little motorway and the city driving.
There was quite a bit of congestion coming out of the city, and initially on my journey home, however the traffic leading to the Forth Road Bridge was unusually light which made a change (new bridge opens this month).
Add to this my normal early morning commute to take my wife to her work, plus picking her up late am, and I averaged almost 62 mpg, according to my ScanGauge. Too early to say if there had been any improvement since going to 97 RON, but I'll keep you informed.
These are the figures for my day's driving:
Average mpg: 61.8 mpg
Max coolant temp: 85°C
Distance travelled: 93.2 miles
Maximum revs: 3377 rpm
Max speed: 64 mph
Average speed: 30 mph

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 07:08:37 AM »
This morning I set a PB for the morning commute. Starting from a cold start, with car having been sitting for 18 hours (it is garaged, but it is starting to get chilly here overnight), my 3.9 mile town driving trip returned 60.0 mpg (4.71 l/100 km). And it never even got up to temperature!

guest7024

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2017, 05:36:28 PM »
2002 se  average mpg 54

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »
2002 se  average mpg 54
That's a good figure.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:01:36 PM by Jocko »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
According to the mpg-ometer, our is hovering mostly between 52.3 - 52.6mpg, occasionally creeping up over 53mpg. For mixed driving, I'm pleased with that.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
I find my mpg-ometer pretty close to my calculated figure. It is slightly optimistic but only by about 1%.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
Great photos!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2017, 10:25:29 PM »
Haven't run enough petrol through to check the accuracy of the mpg-ometer yet, but it's looking about right.

I agree about the pics too, cracking photos! I can't wait to see it for real, probably during October half term week.

Tags: