Author Topic: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?  (Read 12391 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Do you rate your Mk3 Jazz as a refined Motorway cruiser?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
The CRUISE will increase throttle to maintain speed as you hit an incline, resulting in the request to change down... without cruise you probably keep your foot in the same place, hence no request.
Yes, and the cruise is very sensitive, so  quicker to increase gas than a common driver.

Dave H

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2019, 07:29:30 AM »
I don't use the motorway much but did a 350 mile round trip to visit my daughter in Surrey. It was all motorway and I kept the speed to 65 mph. I found it quite noisy, especially from the rear.
My previous cars were Audi A6 and SEAT Alhambra, both diesels, and they were significantly quieter.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 09:01:54 AM »
I don't use the motorway much but did a 350 mile round trip to visit my daughter in Surrey. It was all motorway and I kept the speed to 65 mph. I found it quite noisy, especially from the rear.
I find the bulk of the noise in my Mk1 comes from the rear. Tyre noise is far greater than engine noise.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »
My previous cars were Audi A6 and SEAT Alhambra, both diesels, and they were significantly quieter.

Probably tyre noise,  it seems to be the biggest source of noise on a Honda,   I find that for some inexplicable reason Honda seem to fit noisy tyres as original equipment - a change of tyres makes a world of difference.

I tried to start engine a couple of times in our Mk1's when it was already running,  then got into the habit of looking at rev counter to see if engine was running or not.   The engine in MK2 not quite as quiet.  Don't know about MK3 though,  but I would imaging compared to a diesel it has to be quieter. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:54:58 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
Probably tyre noise,  it seems to be the biggest source of noise on a Honda,   I find that for some inexplicable reason Honda seem to fit noisy tyres as original equipment - a change of tyres makes a world of difference.
Definitely tyre noise, though I have tyres that are rated as "quiet" fitted to mine. On different road surfaces it goes from silent to cacophony!

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »

Tyres will obviously have some effect on the road noise but by far the main reason is the lack of sound deadening/damping. The MK3 is already pretty good compared to previous generations but I guess to keep the cost and weight down Honda have had to skimp on the sound insulation.

In my previous car, the EP3 Type-R, it was the same. Once I put some sound deadening in, it made a much bigger difference than low noise tyres ever made.

I find with European cars, there is generally more sound insulation as well as thicker steel panels/doors etc which usually helps reduce noise.

I think if you want a refined Jazz, some insulation in the wheel arches, boot floor, doors and the firewall/bulkhead area will make a considerable difference. But having used the MK1 for over 10 years, the MK3 is already an improvement so we're not going to do any more.

nrgmilano

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE CVT Mk3
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2021, 04:51:36 AM »
Refined? No but drove London to Edinburgh 1.3 CVT and much better than expected. My Mercedes I could say was refined the Jazz not so much but was very capable

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
Refined? No but drove London to Edinburgh 1.3 CVT and much better than expected. My Mercedes I could say was refined the Jazz not so much but was very capable

I think that's a fair comment. Whisper quiet "wafting" at 70 mph on the motorway does require a bigger car. I note that some upmarket brands now have double glazing!

For a small car though, the Mk3 Jazz is decent.

Jon R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2021, 03:51:28 PM »
My 3yr old Mk 3 Sport CVT managed over 53mpg average on a 120 mile trip just recently. Cruise control on most of the motorway route, average 70mph most of the way. Honda engines like the revs more if you like max performance, but the difference with most cars, is that they hold up much better, and you would be very unlucky if you didn't top 100 - 200k miles with any major engine problems. Mine is very young with less than 20k, but other members will no doubt testify as to reliability?

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2021, 10:59:20 AM »
My Jazz is a mk1 so isn't really relevant to this thread but I thought I would mention in anyway.

It's okay for motorway cruising but the engine sits at high RPM so it's quite loud and it doesn't really seem all that relaxed at high speed. The low weight of the mk1 combined with the high body sides also means that the winds loves to push you around.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
My Jazz is a mk1 so isn't really relevant to this thread but I thought I would mention in anyway.

It's okay for motorway cruising but the engine sits at high RPM so it's quite loud and it doesn't really seem all that relaxed at high speed. The low weight of the mk1 combined with the high body sides also means that the winds loves to push you around.
My Mk 1 is a 2006 and at motorway speeds I do not find the engine noise as bad as the tyre/wind noise. I also don't feel the wind pushing me about much more than it did my Volvo S40. I don't try and fight the wind.

Tags: