Author Topic: Brake wear  (Read 3802 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Brake wear
« on: November 14, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »
Hi all
Had Honda garage ring me today to say that following my first 12500 service last May my brakes were 70% worn and to book it in to be replaced, just looked at report which says 5mm fronts and 4mm rears, does anyone know what percentage wear that equates to.  I have never replaced brake pads at this mileage. Strongly suspect a bit of Honda selling going on here. Would value your thoughts.  Ty

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Re: Brake wear
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 04:21:30 PM »
Do you think you are reading the tyre wear? Just a thought.

And maybe Honda read there own report wrong and it should be 70% brakes left?

On my first service it says 95% brake pad LEFT after doing 4.75k miles. But “wear” has been cross out and “left” has been written.

And why are they ringing you now? I would expect them to tell you at the service date that your brakes might need replacing shortly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:25:27 PM by JazzyJJ »

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »
I would tell them to get lost.

Plasma.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 05:53:50 PM »
I've just checked the most recent Honda service check sheet for my HR-V and note that while the printed description says "% wear%) whoever filled the sheet wrote "Remaining" after the numbers (which were all 90% - reasonable, IMO, at 14k miles as I try to decelerate to minimise the use of brakes = wasted fuel).

It's probably easier for whoever checks the pads to estimate the amount remaining, so that's what they tend to write, but they weren't consulted by whoever prepared the check sheet. A wonderful source of confusion which I suspect is the case here. It would need a very heavy right foot to get the pads to 70% worn at 12k miles.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
And why are they ringing you now? I would expect them to tell you at the service date that your brakes might need replacing shortly.

They've had their crystal ball out and seen that his brakes are worn out by now.

Or alternatively, it could be that it's a slack period, and some bright spark decided to drum up a bit of business by thumbing through this years old service invoices, to find folks to sell something to.

I am a cynical old soul.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 07:42:54 PM »
I've just checked the most recent Honda service check sheet for my HR-V and note that while the printed description says "% wear%) whoever filled the sheet wrote "Remaining" after the numbers (which were all 90% - reasonable, IMO, at 14k miles as I try to decelerate to minimise the use of brakes = wasted fuel).

It's probably easier for whoever checks the pads to estimate the amount remaining, so that's what they tend to write, but they weren't consulted by whoever prepared the check sheet. A wonderful source of confusion which I suspect is the case here. It would need a very heavy right foot to get the pads to 70% worn at 12k miles.
Report has been filled out quite poorly, engine oil and filter change not ticked, was in for 25000 service with 16003 on the clock, says inspect front and rear brakes, % crossed out and mm put in and says fronts 5 and rears 4, does not make sense to me, surely fronts wear more than back. Says replace air filter at 25000, not ticked ??  Think a visit to the dealer around the corner is due !!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
More customers need to scrutinise the service sheets before money changes hands after the service. Last year I queried why the CVT fluid hadn't been changed (it was due). The technician was summoned from the workshop and ticked the box and, I was assured, the system showed tht the fluid had been issued from the store. Had I been paying then maybe I would have had a cheap service but the bill goes to Honda as the vehicle has a service plan.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 10:54:55 PM »
More customers need to scrutinise the service sheets before money changes hands after the service. Last year I queried why the CVT fluid hadn't been changed (it was due). The technician was summoned from the workshop and ticked the box and, I was assured, the system showed tht the fluid had been issued from the store. Had I been paying then maybe I would have had a cheap service but the bill goes to Honda as the vehicle has a service plan.

I had identically the same experience!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »
% crossed out and mm put in and says fronts 5 and rears 4, does not make sense to me, surely fronts wear more than back.

The front pads start off with more meat on them, new mk3 pads start off at 16.5mm front and 13mm rear, including the 5-6mm steel back plate. As John says, 5 & 4mm of friction material left is a fair bit of wear for that mileage. If it's correct, that is.

More customers need to scrutinise the service sheets before money changes hands after the service.

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, your average punter these days has no idea about maintenance schedules, and they rely on the dealer to make sure everything is done correctly. They also have to trust that all the work ticked has even been done.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »
John. Ty for reply, how did you know cvt oil had not been changed, was told that there was not a dipstick on my 2017 jazz unless I have got it wrong. Will be popping in to ask what parts were actually fitted.  Have Honda plan. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 09:23:38 AM »
how did you know cvt oil had not been changed
It hadn't been ticked on the service sheet!

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »
ok, ty. My air filter should have been changed but not ticked. Time to check and shall be really annoyed if it has not been done.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 10:19:22 AM »
ok, ty. My air filter should have been changed but not ticked. Time to check and shall be really annoyed if it has not been done.
cannot find any info as to when air filter due to be changed, report says 25000 but dealer has said that these sheets are for all models so not very accurate, they have said 35000, can anyone confirm this. I also asked them what was reported on brake wear, they are still saying 65% fronts and 70% rear, car was a year old when bought it so obviously do not know what treatment the brakes had before me, strange rears are below the fronts ?? still not fully convinced, going into dealer later and they will double check for me. ty.

Dave H

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »
 I sold my Audi A6 after 140K and it was still on the original front discs and pads!
I queried it every service and was told they were fine.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »
It's bad though isn't it. I know, over the years, various secret shopper type tests from Which show something like 75% of garages don't do the service properly. They do seem to change the oil though so that's something. I'd love to find a good independent once I'm out of warranty.

Tags:

anything