Author Topic: slightly noisy after 1st oil change  (Read 4450 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
slightly noisy after 1st oil change
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:13:23 AM »
anyone else experenced having louder valve type noise after first oil change service? starts ok and you only notice if your sat in traffic after 1/2 mile or so and then it sounds perfect again, oil is just over max so not low on oil

i only got this car in march with 16 miles on it (6 month old pre registered car) and had it serviced last month when it was 1 year old with 4700 miles so i have never owned this car through the colder months

last week monday to thurday it was 5c and made the noise and on thu it was raining so 15c and was quieter but was still there if you listen. it was also there today at 15c so might just be a fluke and not temperature related

the only other thing i think it could be is thinner oil (0/20) instead of the factory oil which might be different for bedding the engine in

any help appreciated
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:22:31 AM by monkeydave »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: slightly noisy after 1st oil change
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »
0W20 oil, you mean tap water :)

Engine makers do tend to use a thicker semi-synthetic or mineral oil for bedding in an engine because to put fully synth in straight away would mean the surfaces would probably never bed, I wouldn't worry over a slight tappety noise from engine before it has fully warmed up ( but if you are a 'whine' lover - could always get an electric car :) ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
I normally run 5w-30, but before my recent service and oil change I had been putting 10w-40 in, and the engine was almost silent. It is not noisy at the best of times, but the thicker oil made it even quieter.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 11:46:21 AM »
cheers guys

it was done at honda and that all they use now as its full range temp oil and its written on the oil cap too, just never noticed the noise on other hondas ive had after all it starts up quiet and then after a min or so goes through a tappety stage and then back to normal again 

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »
Honda factory fill for EUDM and JDM petrol engines is 0w20 since 2001, it's the best oil for engine running during warmup, and it's the best oil in engines engineered for this oil. I would never use a 0w20 in a Fiat 1.2 Fire engine, as I would never use a 10w40 in a L13B2 Honda engine.
I still wonder why common customers think to be clever than engineers and they use higher grade viscosity oils when they'd better to use the prescribed type... Ok, 0w20 was difficult to find in Europe before 2010, only official dealers could have it.. but now can be easily bought and used in our engines.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »
I switched from 0W-20 to 5w-30 in Mar 19. It started life with 5w-30. Engine certainly quieter as to be expected but they do seem to be a 'tappety' sounding engine at tick over, regardless. As a side note, I expected a slight drop in MPG as a result of adding treacle. I recall the indicated MPG on the fibometer pre change was @ 44.5/45. It has now dipped to 43.9 with the slightly cooler weather but has nevertheless been averaging down all summer.  Interesting to see where it bottoms out.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:48:21 PM by MartinJG »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »
the thing is i dont remember hearing the tappety noise before the oil was change at the service but the weather was warmer then too so who knows

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 12:19:11 PM »
I've got this slight tappety sound after start up in colder weather. It seems common with the 1.3 engine on the Mk3. Didn't have it on either of my Mk2s.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »
I've got this slight tappety sound after start up in colder weather. It seems common with the 1.3 engine on the Mk3. Didn't have it on either of my Mk2s.

thanks for that, im glad im not alone and i dont remember it either on my mk2

how long does your tappety sound last for and is it straight after startup or a little after

thanks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:22:37 PM by monkeydave »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »
Honda factory fill for EUDM and JDM petrol engines is 0w20 since 2001, it's the best oil for engine running during warmup, and it's the best oil in engines engineered for this oil. I would never use a 0w20 in a Fiat 1.2 Fire engine, as I would never use a 10w40 in a L13B2 Honda engine.
My 2006 1.2 DSi I just use the oil Honda recommend in this chart from the manual.

As you can see, 10w-40 is good down to -20C, about 15C lower than I ever experience here.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
My 2006 1.2 DSi I just use the oil Honda recommend in this chart from the manual.

As you can see, 10w-40 is good down to -20C, about 15C lower than I ever experience here.
10w40 is acceptable, but it is not the best oil for your engine, that is not the  L13B2 of our GK3.
The chart shows allowed viscosities depending from the outside temperature but if you consider the range from -10° and +30°C, there will be better and worst viscosities even if they are all allowed. The 0w20 is the better viscosity for   fuel economy (it drags less power than other lubricants) but also considering  protection (an oil must flow the quickier it can when you start the engine, and a 0w20 definetly flows better than a 5w30 or a 10w40). A sinthetic 5w30 gives more protection at high temperatures and loads thanks by the higher HTHS value, but our standard engines do not reach so high performances so they do not need high HTHS; consider that the turbocharged petrol engines of the new Civic use a 0w20 factory fill (sinthetic, HT06 specific), so why should I put a more protective oil on a 1.3 naturally aspirated?
A suggestion: when you compare oils, do not use viscosity as main parameter but read technical data sheets and compare HTHS, Noack, Viscosity Index, Viscosity at 100°, Viscosity at 40° and Viscosity at about -30°. Those are "hot" parameters for the evaluation and you will notice that oils with the same SAE viscosity can have big differencies in HTHS or viscosity at 40°.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:51:41 PM by jazzaro »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »
I use a 5w-30, after being told by an oil company engineer that a slightly thicker oil was recommended for a high mileage engine. Mine has done 120,000 miles. My last 10 tankfuls have averaged over 60 mpg, so I am not too concerned about the fuel efficiency of the thinner oil.
The 10w-40 was just an interim couple of top ups approaching my service and oil change. I had it in the garage (for the lawnmower), and as I had no 5w-30 I thought it better than low oil.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »
on mine i never heared the noise before the first service on 23rd sept and then last monday (30th oct) back to work i noticed it making the noise

i hope they didnt start the car without oil or something, but seeing as the noise isnt there when you start the car and then is there a few mins later and then goes away again a few mins after that and is worse in colder weather (5c) but still there at 15c

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 11:03:52 AM »
I use a 5w-30, after being told by an oil company engineer that a slightly thicker oil was recommended for a high mileage engine. Mine has done 120,000 miles. My last 10 tankfuls have averaged over 60 mpg, so I am not too concerned about the fuel efficiency of the thinner oil.
yep, thicker oils are better in high mileage engines, and usually you start using this kind of lubricant when you see an increased oil consumption. Until the engine does not drink oil, you can keep using low viscosity lubricants.
The 10w-40 was just an interim couple of top ups approaching my service and oil change. I had it in the garage (for the lawnmower), and as I had no 5w-30 I thought it better than low oil.
Ok. Last week I've thrown in the garbage some oil bottles with the classic "glass of oil" inside, I mean the residue of the oil changes I made last years... Ok, it's unused oil, but it's "old" because it touched the air, so it has been oxidized. I use this oil only for topping, never for an entire oil change.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 11:43:33 AM »
Synthetic oil is normally good for 5 years.

One way to avoid the problem of oil expiration is to only purchase the amount of oil that you will need in order to change your oil for this one time. However, given the cost savings of buying oil in bulk, some drivers prefer to stock up on the oil. In general, you should expect that your oil will last at least five years.
As you might expect, bottles of oil that have not been opened tend to last longer than bottles of oil that have already been opened. Thus, you should try to open only one bottle of oil at a time and use any opened bottles for your next oil change. This will prevent you from having multiple bottles of opened motor oil.

https://myengineneeds.com/does-synthetic-motor-oil-ever-expire/

Tags:

anything