Author Topic: Recommended engine oil  (Read 9341 times)

Thatch49

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Ex Navi
Recommended engine oil
« on: May 27, 2022, 09:55:16 AM »
Just purchased 2019 Jazz Ex Navi with very low mileage. Garage (Honda Dealer) uses Petronas Syntium 7000 Hybrid SAE 0W-20 engine oil amd I have bought a litre just in case engine needs topping up. For the next couple of years I will use main dealer as I got a couple of free services when I purchased the car. They say they use this oil on all their Jazz cars. When my free services are used up I will revert to a local garage I have used for the last 15 years. The handbook says a 5W-30W A5/B5 oil is acceptable instead of 0W-20 and I used Castrol Magnatec in my old car. The Honda mechanic says this will damage the filters etc on the Jazz - is this right ? According to the Halfords car checker the 5W-30W A5/B5 oil is the correct one.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Recommended engine oil
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
Welcome. I would say you are being told porkies. Many Honda dealers use many different oils as do many members here.

Thatch49

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 04:57:15 PM »
Thanks. That's the conclusion I was coming to.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 06:00:22 PM »
Just purchased 2019 Jazz Ex Navi with very low mileage. Garage (Honda Dealer) uses Petronas Syntium 7000 Hybrid SAE 0W-20 engine oil amd I have bought a litre just in case engine needs topping up. For the next couple of years I will use main dealer as I got a couple of free services when I purchased the car. They say they use this oil on all their Jazz cars. When my free services are used up I will revert to a local garage I have used for the last 15 years. The handbook says a 5W-30W A5/B5 oil is acceptable instead of 0W-20 and I used Castrol Magnatec in my old car. The Honda mechanic says this will damage the filters etc on the Jazz - is this right ? According to the Halfords car checker the 5W-30W A5/B5 oil is the correct one.
GK3 and GK5 Jazz do not have filters apart from the kat, and an A5/B5 oil is good for catalitic converters. Cars with particulate filters (such as the present Jazz e-HEV) should or must use ACEA C2/C3 oils, our 1.3 Honda does not have a GPF.
If possible, go on with a 0w20 oil: the SAE 0W20 is the factory fill oil for Hondas since 2001, it's the best oil until the engine starts to consume oil, when a thicker lubricant will be more appropriate.  You're lucky, in UK you have plenty of avaiability of these oils https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-oils-fluids-information/0w-20/

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 07:06:53 PM »
GK3 and GK5 Jazz do not have filters apart from the kat, and an A5/B5 oil is good for catalitic converters. Cars with particulate filters (such as the present Jazz e-HEV) should or must use ACEA C2/C3 oils, our 1.3 Honda does not have a GPF.
If possible, go on with a 0w20 oil: the SAE 0W20 is the factory fill oil for Hondas since 2001, it's the best oil until the engine starts to consume oil, when a thicker lubricant will be more appropriate.  You're lucky, in UK you have plenty of avaiability of these oils https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-oils-fluids-information/0w-20/

I do not understand why a Honda dealer is promoting the Petronas oil for your Jazz and not a Honda product, Honda sell a 0W-20 oil, surely Honda, having designed and manufactured the engine must know a fact or two about the lubrication requirements of the engine,  here is a link to Honda engine oils :
https://hondadirectparts.co.uk/parts/category/honda-jazz-genuine-parts/jazz-2016/engine-service-kits-jazz-2015/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:09:29 PM by E27006 »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »
I do not understand why a Honda dealer is promoting the Petronas oil for your Jazz and not a Honda product, Honda sell a 0W-20 oil, surely Honda, having designed and manufactured the engine must know a fact or two about the lubrication requirements of the engine,  here is a link to Honda engine oils :
https://hondadirectparts.co.uk/parts/category/honda-jazz-genuine-parts/jazz-2016/engine-service-kits-jazz-2015/
I don't know in UK, but in Italy some Honda dealers are ALSO Nissan and/or Toyota and/or Suzuki and/or other brand dealers, and oils are the same for all vehicles entering in the workshop. Petronas is used for FIat/AlfaRomeo/Jeep cars, maybe it is cheaper than Honda or Castrol products.

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 08:14:51 AM »
Honda engines have very fine tolerances, so do nt need thick oil. They run on thinner oils, and this helps also to give good fuel economy.

Dealers will promote whatever oil they are contracted to use. Petronas is good quality.

The Honda branded oil is made by one of the big oil companies anyway.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 08:48:46 PM »
Use the correct synthetic 0W-20 grade oil that meets the standard recommended by Honda.

If you follow the service intervals and lubricants recommended by Honda, you shouldn't need to worry about oil grades.

If you trust your independent garage for future servicing, then do as I do and supply them with the correct oil, sump plug washer and oil filter for the engine oil change.

Thatch49

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 04:37:48 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied. The links to places where I can buy the recommended Honda oil are particularly useful. My independent garage is quite happy for me to supply the oil as he won't be able to get it himself locally.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 08:55:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied. The links to places where I can buy the recommended Honda oil are particularly useful. My independent garage is quite happy for me to supply the oil as he won't be able to get it himself locally.

do you get a rebate on your service if you supply your own oil, filter and copper washer? as the oil is over £50 for 0w20

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 09:25:12 PM »
I find that a slightly confusing question to be honest...

Surely you wouldn't expect them to be billing you for the consumables you've supplied?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 09:31:16 PM »
Perhaps they do a fixed price service plan. It is like if you order a meal in a restaurant and ask them to hold the salad they don't reduce the price you are charged.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 10:12:53 PM »
Perhaps they do a fixed price service plan. It is like if you order a meal in a restaurant and ask them to hold the salad they don't reduce the price you are charged.

That's a poor analogy...  ???

Garages tend to buy the more common standard spec oil in bulk, and independent garages will often use aftermarket filters etc to bolster their profit margins.

So yes, it's fair to expect to not get billed for their oil and filter (or even salad  ;D) but the overall bill will most likely not be discounted to the tune of the full cost of the supplied genuine consumables.

Thatch49

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 11:59:36 AM »
I don't receive a rebate as such. I just don't get charged for the oil as I supplied it. I don't supply filters or washers.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »
IMO the correct specification is more important than Brand.   There is a lot of 'own label' packaging in the lubricating oil industry, and there is only a limited number of oil fields ,each producing a different quality of crude oil that has to be refined to a consistent specification of base stock, by a limited number of oil refineries.       A few major oil companies may produce their own unique product with their own additives with fancy names,  but many oil blenders use additives made by massive internationally known chemical companies such as BASF.

For Instance 'Comma oil'  is seen as a bit of a budget brand in the UK.  Originally independent blenders, they were then owned by Esso, then Mobil Exxon, and currently by a Brazilian Company, who produce Mobil products in the South American region.      Trucks leave The Comma site in uk  with both  Comma and Mobil logos.    Comma claim to have packaged 'own label'  oil for Toyota, Landrover etc.   So is this Mobil oil, Comma oil, or specially made oil?
 Or is it the same stuff with customers paying a premium price for a well advertised name? 

If Honda  factory fill a Jazz with synthetic   0W20  oil I cannot see why anyone  would want to revert to  anything less to save a few quid.    5W30 may be an acceptable substitute, on some older models  or high mileage cars but its a thicker oil  that may not circulate as easily, especially in colder weather.This will increase fuel consumption.

Honda dealerships may use various brand names, depending on who gives them the best price.  But it should be the correct quality and specification.   Some may be Suzuki etc dealerships as well as Honda and may share oil from the same drum. 

I can see the appeal of providing your own oil to a small independent.  If they have a drum of 5w30 in the workshop that dispenses  a measured dose they may be tempted to use that, rather than go to the trouble of sourcing the correct stuff.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: