Author Topic: condensation in right rear light cluster  (Read 3814 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
condensation in right rear light cluster
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
ive got some slight condensation in right cluster reversing and indicator part

what is the best way of removing it, or will it go away by itself when the weather warms up

the car is a pre registered from late september 2018 so been sitting about for a few months

cheers
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:09:03 PM by monkeydave »

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: slight condensation in right cluster reversing and indicator part
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
My understanding is that lighting units are supposed to be sealed, so any condensation indicates a fault.

I had condensation in a Focus headlight unit a few years ago and it was replaced under warranty.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
I would go back to the dealer and point it out. Water shouldn't get into a light unit in sufficient amounts to show up as condensation.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »
The units cannot be fully sealed as the normal expansion and contraction of air inside unit would crack the plastic, I have had condensation in Civic rear cluster after a warm day with sun on cluster and cold night,  warm air can contain more moisture than cold air and when the lens cools the moisture deposits on it.  Having said that it is not unknown for seals behind the clusters to be badly fitted and any water that runs down gutter each side of tailgate can seep through and maybe find a way in. 

I assume no water inside wheel well or elsewhere ?

I would still report it to the dealer in writing or email though, then it is in the system if you have a continuing problem with condensation, the sooner you tell them any stuff you are not happy with the better,  but put it in writing - because ' a verbal complaint is not worth the paper it is written on '..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:38:03 PM »
thanks guys

the seals looks ok (a nice black bead all around)  and it is only a very light misting, no droplets and only in the reversing light part, not spreading even to the indicator. it seems to be slowly going in the warm weather today

i had some in the front headlight the other week on the side and that has gone completely and not come back

as i said the car has been pre reg from last sept so been parked up for a few months with no miles on it when i got it and now is being used

going to the dealer is a faf as its over 50 miles away, i will see how it goes, 

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »
going to the dealer is a faf as its over 50 miles away, i will see how it goes,
I would write or email them so it goes on record.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »
It only shows in the reversing light part of my Civic as well, I think it is because it only shows on the clearer plastic and is invisible on the coloured plastic.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:32:42 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 06:19:24 PM »
here are a couple of pics

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 02:09:18 PM »
hi guys

does anyone know if these things i have circled in yellow are the vents to allow moisture to escape from the light when it is in the sun?

thanks

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:56:35 AM »
moisture comes and goes from both back lights in the reversing indicator part, depending on which side has the sun on it

are these units fully sealed or will they eventually vent the moisture out ?

in the user manual it says that it is normal and will only replace if lots of water inside

anyone else with mk3 jazz having condensation in rear clusters?

thanks guys

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »
I am seing the same condensation on the right side

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 01:13:34 PM »
I am seing the same condensation on the right side

i got it on both sides now (worse on the right), covering the reversing light and indicator, as soon as the sun is on it and goes away with cooler temps

i did mention it at the dealer on sat but it dissapeared on the fri night and didint appear till i left the dealer when the sun hit it later that day

how have you been dealing with your condensation poul?

i hope it will vent away eventually but it has not gone any better since i first spotted it five days ago, it should be replaced if it covers up the indicator but not according to the user manual that says it is normal unless it is pooling at the bottom of the light

will the dealer except pictures or will they have to have water in the cluster when i get there as it is one side doing it and the other is ok and then visa versa and always different according to the temp and sun position

most importantly what i need to know is are the rear light cluster sealed or does it allow condensation out of vents at the back, or are the vents just between the front and back of the lens and the condensation cannot get to the back to be vented out completely

here are two pics from today when the sun was on the back, ther left side seems to be ok with just a few drops inside
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:55:56 PM by monkeydave »

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: condensation in right rear light cluster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
Try contacting Honda customer service on: info.UK.car@honda-eu.com

They should respond saying that it can be fixed under warranty. Then take this to the dealer and there should be no arguement about warranty repairs. Tell them you want a courtesy car delivered to your house when they collect the car to get it fixed.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 01:41:21 AM »
i popped into the dealer today and they said honda know about the problem (there is a bulitin about it aparently) but as it clears by itself honda wont replace them, there has to be water build up that is always there

they also confirmed that they are vented lights not sealed

i looked around the car park at all the mk3 jazzes (nearly 20 cars all 18 or 68 plates) they had in stock and every single one had slight condensation in the rear lights

they even said they got problems with the civics too and that i was not the first customer to come in about the problem

looks like they all do it
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:51:31 AM by monkeydave »

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 07:06:12 AM »
I don't have condensation on the rear light clusters, however I did have some on the front lights. I get them if it is machined wshed, lie through the IMO car wash.
Since then I have applied a sealant strip around the clusters housing. This stopped the condensation.

Note, I have dried the water moisture first by using a hair dryer. Use the heat settings with care and move the hair dryer in motion. Thus method will work without damaging the lenses.
You should be able to do the same for the rear lights.

Tags: