Author Topic: 18 model Jazz - My Honda App  (Read 5192 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
18 model Jazz - My Honda App
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:05:32 PM »
Just been told by a dealer that all installations have been halted on the 2018 facelifted model. It is not compatible. Will update if I hear more.

guest7513

Re: 18 model Jazz - My Honda App
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:01:56 AM »
Thanks for that and please do..

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »
Just been told by a dealer that all installations have been halted on the 2018 facelifted model. It is not compatible. Will update if I hear more.

Sorry! I don't understand.

I have an EX Navi, on order. Can you explain, please?
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »

Sorry! I don't understand.

I have an EX Navi, on order. Can you explain, please?
I think the OP is referring to this ...
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9561.0
... which requires a dongle to be fitted to the car and an app on your phone. The suggestion seems to be that there is some kind of incompatibility between that system and the 2018 models. That shouldn't affect your usage of the car, but obviously you won't have the functionality promised by the system (if you wanted it).

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
I think the OP is referring to this ...
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9561.0
... which requires a dongle to be fitted to the car and an app on your phone. The suggestion seems to be that there is some kind of incompatibility between that system and the 2018 models. That shouldn't affect your usage of the car, but obviously you won't have the functionality promised by the system (if you wanted it).

Thanks Colin!

In a nutshell...... Not for the likes of me!
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
When you pick up your new car you'll find a coloured leaflet about it. I enquired and got the above info. Its free for a certain number of years  ;D then there could be a charge. It would act as a vehicle tracker and potential could reduce insurance.

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »
With the Facebook scandal going on in full swing I am now hesitant having this fitted even if it worked.
It would be akin to sending full journey info /speed journey /every time you speed past a speed sign etc to Honda -  again questions have to be asked why do they need this info?

Technically does anyone know why its incompatible  on the 2018 model - I will try my cheap ELM 327 OBD2 reader as a test -anyone confirm where the port will be located?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »
-anyone confirm where the port will be located?

Behind the bottom of the trim to the left of the steering column.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
It would be akin to sending full journey info /speed journey /every time you speed past a speed sign etc to Honda -  again questions have to be asked why do they need this info?
It's not "akin" to sending data to Honda ... you are actually doing that. Nor is it just Honda, the Ts&Cs give you very little control over what they do with it. So you are sharing personal data with whoever they decide to sell it to.

It would act as a vehicle tracker and potential could reduce insurance.
I doubt that, if you see that as a benefit of having this gadget then do check with your insurer (and let the rest of us know please). Reason for my doubt is, firstly, insurance companies generally require trackers to be Thatcham-approved, and the Honda gadget makes no claim to that. Secondly you'd expect any insurance tracker to be hidden, not just plugged into the OBD port from where it can be easily removed.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »
My Honda App = Facebook on wheels!

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
It's not "akin" to sending data to Honda ... you are actually doing that. Nor is it just Honda, the Ts&Cs give you very little control over what they do with it. So you are sharing personal data with whoever they decide to sell it to.

I doubt that, if you see that as a benefit of having this gadget then do check with your insurer (and let the rest of us know please). Reason for my doubt is, firstly, insurance companies generally require trackers to be Thatcham-approved, and the Honda gadget makes no claim to that. Secondly you'd expect any insurance tracker to be hidden, not just plugged into the OBD port from where it can be easily removed.

1) Yep again all data can be used but again what data can /do they collect/sell - GPS locations /speeding past speed signs to insurance companies?

2) No my dealer specifically stated cannot be used as a tracker for insurance purposes. Again if it plugs straight into OBD port - is this really anyless secure than under the bonnet?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »
Personal data is worth gold these days,  supermarkets used to pay for data until they introduced store / loyalty cards and then customers gave up their data free ( or for very little in the way of benefits like loyalty points ). 

Data mining is big business, and getting bigger.

https://www.matillion.com/insights/5-real-life-applications-of-data-mining-and-business-intelligence/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:41:56 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 04:02:43 PM »

Apart from the fact that in the security settings there is the option to turn off any data being sent to Honda and any advertising or marketing by them, it is a useful app to have for the security features and info it gives the owner/driver.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
Apart from the fact that in the security settings there is the option to turn off any data being sent to Honda and any advertising or marketing by them, it is a useful app to have for the security features and info it gives the owner/driver.
I would check that very carefully if I were you. I think you're referring to the app settings (?): it is probably possible to control what the app is doing by means of it's settings, but that doesn't necessarily control what the dongle is doing. The Ts&Cs suggest the only way to stop the dongle transmitting your data is to physically remove it:

From the Licence Agreement:
"9.5 In the event that a Dongle has been installed into your Honda vehicle and you wish to
cancel your Subscription before the end of the Fixed Term you should return your Honda
vehicle to an authorised Honda dealership to disconnect the Dongle, otherwise some of your
personal data may continue to be received by Honda, Bright Box and affiliated third parties
as set out in the Privacy Policy for as long as the Dongle is connected to your Honda vehicle.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the Dongle is disconnected on the cancellation of
your Subscription, however it has arisen."

From the Privacy Policy:
"2.4 Please be aware that while a Dongle is connected to your vehicle, we may continue to
process some of your personal data for the purposes described above, including when your
Subscription has expired. Therefore, if you no longer wish for Honda to process such
Personal Data, please arrange to have the Dongle disconnected or deactivated by
your local Honda dealer or supplier."

Now why would they say that if you could just switch it off from the app ?

However, whether you are prepared to pay the price (ie loss of privacy) in order to gain the functionality is clearly a personal decision.

Tags:

anything