Author Topic: Battery drain  (Read 2849 times)

Hondawoz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Battery drain
« on: March 22, 2019, 06:20:39 PM »
Hi all. Just bought a 2006 Jazz 1.25 s. The problem I have, is that the battery drains overnight, to the point where the central locking won't even work. There is no battery light illuminated on the dash when diving, so presume the alternator is working. It has been SORN by the previous owner for the last 2 years in a garage.. What do you guys think the issue could be...Also the radio / clock lcd screens back-light stays lit orange all the time, even when locked & left a while... Is this normal? Any answers greatly appreciated.. Cheers...

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Battery drain
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 06:40:17 PM »
My first  reaction was to say, that after 2 years standing unused, the battery would be scrap.
However there should not be any lights showing, when the car car is standing, locked etc
So that would be my first point of investigation, there is obviously an electrical leakage somewhere, which will require checking by an auto electrician.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch. Positions are 0-I-II-III. Off - Auxiliary - Ignition on - Start. Sounds like it is only going as far back as position I. Or the key comes out in position I and you are not turning it back to position 0.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
Either a new battery is required ( any battery stood for two years is dead ) also does the car have air conditioning ? The relays for the aircon clutch are notorious for sticking closed, and because the power to the clutch does not go through ignition switch this will drain about 4 amps - you can test it by seeing if aircon clutch is rotating when the switch on the dash is in off position.  The heated rear window relay can also stick, so you need to find them and unplug them and see if battery still discharges.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:12:06 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 07:23:56 PM »
S doesn't have air con, but radio should not light up with ignition in position 0.

Hondawoz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 09:26:49 PM »
Thank you folks.. A lot of helpful people out there. I think Jocko could be onto something.. I can take the key out of the barrel in the 2nd position & I assumed this was shutting everything down... but it left the clock lcd on.  I re-tried the key in the barrel & it looks like to the key out at the off position, the barrel has to be pressed in & then turned anti clockwise... (never had that on a car before) Is there enough systems running when the key is in the aux position to drain the battery.. Can't imagine just an lcd screen doing that. Granted, as mentioned, the battery won't be in the best nick after 2 years sorn... Well, I really like the car anyway. It's black, 53k on the clock. Reams of service history, one lady owner, bought privately from her son after she finished driving... & got it for £1600... Ticks over like it's stalled, it's that quiet.. I hope this solves the mystery battery draining... I'll let ya'll know. Thank you again guys..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 09:33:43 PM »
I'd opt for a new battery. Two years SORN and the battery is definitely suspect.

Hondawoz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »
Yeah you're right, I'll get a new battery this week. The alternator must be working, I would think, as there is no battery light on as I drive. Is it right for the key to be removable in position 1 on the ignition? Every car I've ever had, has to be fully at position 0 first.. The fact that I have to push the ignition barrel in & it feels spring loaded, makes me believe it's intentional..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 02:23:32 PM »
Checked my car and you are correct. You do have to push the key in to turn it to position 0. It is something I have done for years and it is just automatic!
Your lock barrel is worn or faulty. You should not be able to remove the key in Position I but I wouldn't worry about it. Not worth replacing the barrel for.

I take it you don't have a manual. Get one here
https://en.zofti.com/open?idm=2714

UK one I downloaded appears to have been withdrawn, but this is better than nothing.

Colcam6

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4Si
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »
The comment about air con is spot on. This is what happened to ours. Cheap fix was to disconnect air con

Hondawoz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »
Cheers Jocko... Yer a star. Ended up getting the battery & alternator checked... The alternator is fine but the battery was totally shot... Bought a heavy duty silver Yuasa one & it started on the button this morning... I'll see how it goes. You must be right about the barrel being very worn, as I can take the key out in the aux position. I even put my VW Transporter key in by mistake & it turned the engine over but didn't start it! Thanks for your help & input.. I dare say I may have a few more questions goin forward. 👍

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »
I even put my VW Transporter key in by mistake & it turned the engine over but didn't start it!
Honda key is coded to overcome the immobiliser. VW key is not.

As a Mk 1 owner I am happy to answer any questions you may have. If I don't know the answer there will be someone here who will.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »
Just a thought if your Jazz was standing for a time then its worthwhile changing the brake fluid , change the coolant, oil& new Honda filter then have a checkover on all the tyres for any sidewall damage/flat spots.
Let the forum know how you get on.

Hondawoz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »
Thanks again fellas.. The car had a service just 20 miles prior to going sorn.. Everything looks & feels fine. The brakes were all replaced (discs & pads) prior to sale & they look like new. It brakes well & the tyres are like new too. In fact, I can't imagine it driving much better when it was new... For what I paid for it, it's an absolute steal. The ignition barrel is the only real issue & that doesn't stop anything working. I tried today & I can actually remove the key in EVERY position.. Yes I can take the key out with the engine running?? Not sure where that stands with an mot but it's just passed one with no advisories.. It's averaging about 50mpg combined.. The only thing I wish it had was air con, as it was warm today... & the only thing I wish if didn't have, is the 6 seat belt bleeps when the ignition it turned on... A couple of nice chimes would be better..lol..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 07:06:44 PM »
The ignition barrel is the only real issue & that doesn't stop anything working. I tried today & I can actually remove the key in EVERY position.. Yes I can take the key out with the engine running??

Not sure where that stands with an mot but it's just passed one with no advisories.

the 6 seat belt bleeps when the ignition it turned on.
Don't be tempted to remove the key when the engine is running. Once you remove the key the steering lock can come on!
Ignition key has nothing to do with MOT.
Fasten your seat belt before you turn the ignition on!! Problem solved.

Tags:

anything