Author Topic: Update android system  (Read 8390 times)

colinscottish

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda: 21 EX Midnight Blue Beam & Grey Leather
Update android system
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
Is it possible to update android system on a 65 plate Jazz
Thanks

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Update android system
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:44:36 PM »
Is it possible to update android system on a 65 plate Jazz
Thanks
Update to what?

A competent dealer ought to be able to update the firmware to the latest version supplied by Honda. Failing that you'll have to find the appropriate firmware images online and do it yourself. It's not a particularly onerous process (I did it myself because my dealer wasn't competent) but I don't know where you'd find the images. Honda don't want them made publicly available.

However if you're objecting to running Android 4.x (on the grounds that it was obsolete before the car even hit the streets) you might be out of luck. It'd be interesting to know what version of Android Skyrider's unit is running. I have a feeling that it's probably still 4.x :(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:49:41 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
Mine is running Android version 4.0.4.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
Thanks, Skyrider.

Mine is running Android version 4.0.4.
I think that's the same version we all have.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2164732/google-announces-android-404-gsm-nexus-galaxy-nexus-phones

Released March 2012.

Google Chrome stopped supporting it in March 2015.

Obviously it still works but I suspect that the infotainment unit probably isn't capable of supporting anything much more recent even if Honda wanted it to. For sure not the latest version 9.0. There are at least three major parts to the infotainment unit though.

The OS (Android 4.0.4) which is probably always going to be that.
The framework (Written possibly by Pioneer): I have RC4 but there's at least one later version of that.
The Honda application: I've no idea what the latest version of that is but it will autoupdate if you connect the infotainment unit to wifi.

Frankly if stuff is working I think that's about all we can hope for. Hardware manufacturers don't care much about software and are highly unlikely to offer updates unless they fix a serious fault.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:12:02 PM by andruec »

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »
….
Frankly if stuff is working I think that's about all we can hope for. Hardware manufacturers don't care much about software and are highly unlikely to offer updates unless they fix a serious fault.

This is the case, at least with my closest dealer. When I popped in with a few queries about the Jazz I asked them if they would update the head unit to the latest firmware and that is the answer they gave. Together with 'why would we spend a couple of hours with your car connected and updating firmware unless there was a fault?' Or words to that effect. I didn't ask them if they'd do it if I was willing to pay though … hmmmm. Anyone had this done?

As for the version of Android installed, that really makes absolutely no difference to the functionality offered by the head unit (lack of functionality in the form of bugs yes). It's just the underlying framework that has been tweaked to provide the functions offered by Honda. They could have used A N Other version of Linux, embedded windows (even XP!) or maybe gone to Samsung and used Tizen. But what the user sees/saw would be exactly the same.

I work in a supermarket and our tills have recently been upgraded from some version of embedded Windows XP to Windows 7 - no difference whatsoever from a user viewpoint, though they're just as slow as they were, but that's a different story!
Dave
Carpe diem …

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
I had a problem with the system in my Civic, occasionally at random intervals it would stop working and I just got a message on the screen saying the Fujisu aps had stopped working, I lost all the settings and the only way I could get them back was to do a factory reset then I had to reprogram it, when it went in for MOT and service six months ago they checked it and downloaded the latest software with no charge, touch wood it has never failed since.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
As for the version of Android installed, that really makes absolutely no difference to the functionality offered by the head unit (lack of functionality in the form of bugs yes).
True of course but it depends what the OP is asking. My initial thought was that they just wanted the most recent version Honda have in which case we've covered that. But then it occurred to me that they might be looking at going beyond what Honda offer. It is possible to install third party applications on the head unit. Some people have reported success installing apps from Google Play.

From what I've read it's a tortuous process but it can be done and people doing that have a good reason to want to be running a later version of Android because 4.0.4 is becoming unsupported in the wider world.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:39:57 PM by andruec »

guest8014

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:36:58 AM »
So what is this Android s/w? Any source I can read about it? Thanks.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »

If you do this, then you can say goodbye to any future help from Honda.

guest8014

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »

Do what exactly?

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »

Do what exactly?

If you need to ask leave it well alone. There are IT experts on this forum who have in depth knowledge of hardware, software, and firmware. If you don't have this knowledge  my advice is leave well alone. If you inadvertently damage the car electronics, as said above Honda will not want to know. Would you take your perfectly working engine to bits to see why it is working?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:55:46 PM by Skyrider »

guest8014

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
Sure thanks, I'm a retired IT Consultant and do a lot of tweaking in my spare time. But you input is appreciated.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »
Sure thanks, I'm a retired IT Consultant and do a lot of tweaking in my spare time. But you input is appreciated.

Ah, you will know how to really screw it up then! ;D

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »

Ah, you will know how to really screw it up then! ;D
I'm currently doing mobile development at work but thankfully it's pretty high level stuff. It's still painful though.

Tags:

anything