Author Topic: Help please... Input shaft bearings or?  (Read 12022 times)

guest7581

Help please... Input shaft bearings or?
« on: March 21, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
I have a 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4. There is a loud oscillating sound when i let out the clutch through the gears. When the clutch pedal is pressed down, no sound.
There seems to be mixed thoughts on this... throw out bearing vs. input shaft bearing vs. whatever else. I've ruled out wheel bearing noise because its quiet while coasting. It appears to make this noise only while accelerating, because when i let off the gas while moving, the noise dissipates. I will be fixing this myself and want to start troubleshooting in the right place... obviously.

Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. I have included a video URL below to see and hear how the action and sound.

TIA... Ken

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysjaxx6v3enkhb6/Honda%20Noise.mp4?dl=0

guest7024

• Topic Starter
Re: Help please... Input shaft bearings or?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:41:18 PM »
I have a 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4. There is a loud oscillating sound when i let out the clutch through the gears. When the clutch pedal is pressed down, no sound.
There seems to be mixed thoughts on this... throw out bearing vs. input shaft bearing vs. whatever else. I've ruled out wheel bearing noise because its quiet while coasting. It appears to make this noise only while accelerating, because when i let off the gas while moving, the noise dissipates. I will be fixing this myself and want to start troubleshooting in the right place... obviously.

Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. I have included a video URL below to see and hear how the action and sound.

TIA... Ken

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysjaxx6v3enkhb6/Honda%20Noise.mp4?dl=0
That would suggest clutch bearing 

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
Are you saying the clutch release bearing?

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »
Are you saying the clutch release bearing?
I thought that was more of a squeal... no?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:50:24 PM »
Release bearing makes noise when you push the clutch down - foot off the clutch, there would be no noise.

If it goes quiet when you de-clutch, i.e push the pedal down, then the problem is in the gearbox. If the noise occurs in and out of gear with the clutch up, probably input shaft bearings.

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »
Release bearing makes noise when you push the clutch down - foot off the clutch, there would be no noise.

If it goes quiet when you de-clutch, i.e push the pedal down, then the problem is in the gearbox. If the noise occurs in and out of gear with the clutch up, probably input shaft bearings.
Would you check anything else (gearbox oil, tranny oil) before tearing into the transmission?

Or is this definitely the input shaft bearing?

Easiest first right?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:31:39 PM »
This recent gearbox discussion might be relevant https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9811.0.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »
So... it sounds like you can replace the following without removing the gearbox or bell housing from the car... is that right? I've never worked on a Jazz before.

-Differential / Crown wheel bearings
-Laygear / Input shaft bearings
-Diff pinion / Mainshaft bearings
-Oil Seals

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
Your best bet is to look up the fault on the US site - fitfreak.net

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:14:56 AM »
Your best bet is to look up the fault on the US site - fitfreak.net
I posted there... no help :(

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »
Usual method is to remove the gearbox from the car and split on the bench, but the company Jocko used in the other thread appears to split the gearbox in situ. I was a bit sceptical, but he was delighted with the results.

On the strength of that, I would probably have a go at the same idea if I was sure the clutch was good. If the clutch hadn't been touched for a long time, you may as well take the gearbox off and do the clutch at the same time.

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »
Usual method is to remove the gearbox from the car and split on the bench, but the company Jocko used in the other thread appears to split the gearbox in situ. I was a bit sceptical, but he was delighted with the results.

On the strength of that, I would probably have a go at the same idea if I was sure the clutch was good. If the clutch hadn't been touched for a long time, you may as well take the gearbox off and do the clutch at the same time.
Quick question:

I jacked the front end up and ran through the gears (wheels spinning). No sound... wtf? Any thoughts? Apparently, whatever is making that noise only makes it when the weight or resistance of the car is there.

Again... when driving (moving) and I put it in neutral... no sound, that's why I ruled out wheel bearings. When I Jack the car up and engage gears, no sound... what do these symptoms point to?

TIA

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
Bad bearings will be quieter when they are not under load.

When you apply resistance to the drive, i.e propelling the car, the shafts in the gearbox are forced apart slightly as the drive is transferred from shaft to shaft via the gears. This forces the ball bearings harder into the races on the outer side, and it's the bearing races which are damaged and cause the noise.

Does that make sense?

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »

When you apply resistance to the drive, i.e propelling the car, the shafts in the gearbox are forced apart slightly as the drive is transferred from shaft to shaft via the gears. This forces the ball bearings harder into the races on the outer side, and it's the bearing races which are damaged and cause the noise.

Does that make sense?
So... input shaft bearing then?

guest7581

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »

Does that make sense?
So... input shaft bearing then?

Any yes... that makes sense.

Tags: