Author Topic: The infamous EGR valve problem (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)  (Read 202916 times)

haroldT

The infamous EGR valve problem (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »
We had exactly the same problem with our 2003 Jazz - to me it needed tuning !
Had the car analised by two different whizz kids and no fault was shown. On a hunch did a Google search and found this site …. describing the condition perfectly.

We visited our local Honda dealer, described our fault, instant diagnosis ‘replace EGR valve’ which we had done.

Our Honda now seems better than new. Thanks to those who reported this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:54:23 PM by RichardA »

Nicolas

• Topic Starter
Re: The infamous EGR valve problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »
Hi, I have have just had the same issue identified at my dealer on my 03 Jazz after months of thinking it was dodgy fuel.

I was so shocked at the price that the dealer asked Honda UK if they would pay towards the repair. I told them that the Jazz had such a good reliabilty record that this was a shock.

They came good and have offered to pay for half the cost, it is obviously a recurring problem on the Jazz that is only coming to light now after a few years use. I do live in London which does accelerate teh issue.

guest102

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:11:11 PM »
We have an 02 Jazz which had the EGR valve replaced at under 20,000 miles to solve this problem. I am ‘in the trade’ and we get a couple of EGR faults every week across the whole range of makes. It always seems worse on vehicles which are used on short runs, or light throttle.
They can often be cured by giving them a good blast on the motorway with the engine hot, not of course exceeding the speed limit, but by holding a lower gear and accelerating/decelerating briskly for a couple of miles.
It is a fairly easy job to remove the valve and clean with carb cleaner, but in extreme cases the only solution is to change the valve.

guest243

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »
when u say misfiring, im guessing its like a jurky feeling under light acceleration? if it is, i get that with my jazz sport, only had it a yr and 13k miles.. should honda replace this under the warranty without any costs?

WillyCrank

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:12 AM »
I have the Fit/Sport American import model and currently have had 62,000 trouble free miles; until. I fueled as usual and my commute is 140 miles per day. I was 50 miles into the first leg when my “check engine” icon illuminated.
At the time I thought OK; then as I accelerated down the ramp to hwy speed when the Tach reach 4,000 rpm the rev limiter kicked in and the car of course nosed over. I realized that it would run under that rpm and limped up to 70mph as I usually do I tried to set the cruise control it illuminated as being on but would not set to any speed. Then a few days later it went back to normal; no light no rev limiter issues I thought OK it resolved itself as with possibly a fuel problem. Then after 1 day of joy it’s back.

Has anyone out there seen this obvious ECM issue?

guest238

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:50:45 PM »
Quote from: "WillyCrank"
I have the Fit/Sport American import model and currently have had 62,000 trouble free miles; until. I fueled as usual and my commute is 140 miles per day. I was 50 miles into the first leg when my “check engine” icon illuminated.
At the time I thought OK; then as I accelerated down the ramp to hwy speed when the Tach reach 4,000 rpm the rev limiter kicked in and the car of course nosed over. I realized that it would run under that rpm and limped up to 70mph as I usually do I tried to set the cruise control it illuminated as being on but would not set to any speed. Then a few days later it went back to normal; no light no rev limiter issues I thought OK it resolved itself as with possibly a fuel problem. Then after 1 day of joy it’s back.

Has anyone out there seen this obvious ECM issue?

62,000 miles?????

That's some fair amount of driving. Good job your gas is so cheap.

Do you get super unleaded in the 'states? In England, we have 95 RON (regular unleaded) and 98 RON (super unleaded). BP and Shell do a version of super unleaded (still 98 RON) but with 'additives' to increase performance and reduce fuel consumption* Could try these?

*My brother say's his Scooby runs better on Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, although I myself have never seen any benifits.

TouranMan

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »
Has anyone successfully cleaned an EGR valve to cure the well known problem?

I've been asked by my parents to look at theirs and a friend of a friend mechanic has suggested leaving it soaking it petrol overnight to free it off.  I removed it last weekend to take a look at it and was able to move the 'plunger' to open the valve quite freely against the spring pressure so I don't think it's going to fix the problem but they want me to try it anyway!

Just wondered if anyone has had any success in cleaning it?

Thanks

TouranMan

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »
Never mind, did it last night.

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 07:09:30 AM »
Any chance you can inform how you fixed the EGR valve? It would be useful for future reference.

guest431

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
anyone know where it is??

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
hi its located on top of engine on the left hand side in front of the oil filler cap as your facing the engine with the bonnet up

It has an electrical connection on top and the egr valve itself is held down with two bolts

i cant seem to post a pic in this reply

hope that helps

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »
This is the location of the EGR valve:

The EGR valve itself:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:40:10 PM by RichardA »

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »
The EGR valve has an internal electrical component called a potentiometer,  the potentiometer  operates  by the movement of the EGR valve stem and a signal is monitored by the ECU to determine if the valve is in the open or closed position.

The potentiometer wears due to movement of the EGR valve stem.  when it wears it will give an erratic signal, this bothers the ECU and the car bucks and jumps.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:54:54 PM by RichardA »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:39:41 AM »
If you suspect the EGR valve may be the cause of problems on your engine (particularly rough running / cutting out at low revs) try making a temporary metal gasket (a piece of tinplate or aluminium or any thin metal really) to fit underneath the EGR valve and effectively block off the passageway.

The only thing it will affect are the emissions at higher revs - the valve should be firmly closed at lower revs anyway.  If the engine runs smoothly with the gasket in place then it points to EGR valve being the problem - if it makes no difference then go to plan B, (plan B is normally to admit defeat and to take it in to a dealer.)  Don't be tempted to leave the gasket in place for too long - it is only meant as at diagnostic aid - not a permanent fix.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

hicky

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
I'm new to this , but heregoes.

I'm having this problem and it has been diagnosed by a main dealer, at a cost of £57-50 I might add.
What I would like to know is where can I buy an EGR valve, how much does it cost, is it a DIY job or is there a complex setting up procedure?

Regards,
Hicky

Tags: