Author Topic: Head Unit functionality  (Read 1112 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Head Unit functionality
« on: January 21, 2022, 06:39:48 AM »
As I've posted before, I'm not using Android Auto because I'm using the USB slot to play my music from a memory stick.

I also have SpeedTrap Alert on my phone that gives accurate speed camera alerts via a pseudo bluetooth phone call via the car audio.

Questions :

If you're using, say, Google Maps, what happens when a phone call comes in ?

Also, can you stream music from your phone and will it pause/mute when a call comes in ?

I know I could test it myself but just wondered if anyone else is doing similar already.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
Head Unit functionality
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 07:45:00 AM »
I used to use TomTom on an android Samsung- I had it set so phone calls were just a pop up on the top of the screen instead of taking over the whole screen. It was an option in settings. Otherwise the screen would be taken up, and then completely turn off a while later.

If streaming audio, it would pause when phone calls came in.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Head Unit functionality
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 07:56:41 PM »
Questions :

If you're using, say, Google Maps, what happens when a phone call comes in ?

Also, can you stream music from your phone and will it pause/mute when a call comes in ?

The display goes to the call and you can answer it with the button on the steering wheel.

And music does pause/mute when a call comes in.

By the way, Google Maps also has speed cameras in its database.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 04:57:34 AM »
Thanks.

I prefer to use the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database as it seems to be the most accurate I've used. Plus it announces the detail instead of just a beep that most seem to do so no need to take eyes off the road.

I've been looking/researching at trying to triple my phone usage :

Speedtrap Alert
Music
Google Maps

and I think I'll run into issues.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 10:31:56 AM »
Thanks.

I prefer to use the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database as it seems to be the most accurate I've used. Plus it announces the detail instead of just a beep that most seem to do so no need to take eyes off the road.

I've been looking/researching at trying to triple my phone usage :

Speedtrap Alert
Music
Google Maps

and I think I'll run into issues.

I used the pocketGPSworld database many years ago in Garmin units,  but found the the satnav screen would 'freeze'  nothing obvious but I would notice the vehicle icon on screen had stopped moving.  When I exited the map I would find an open pocketGPSworld speed warning screen had been hiding under the map.  I found the database accurate but could not tolerate the freezing up of navigation.   I never found out if freezing was due to lack of processor power of satnav,  but stopped using database.  My present Garmin uses Garmin data and seems pretty good,  the unit also 'bongs' and shows a streamer when approaching a lower speed limit area, but not when going to a higher speed limit.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »
I have had Garmin freezes but that was years ago on lower powered units with very little spare memory. My DS61 has been rock solid.

I don't use PGPSW Garmin now as those alerts wern't directional so you got warned of cameras trapping the opposite direction.

Speedtrap Alert uses the PGPSW database but is directional so you only get warned of cameras in your direction.

This is an example of how STA interacts with the car system. The alerts do sound quiet because they only come out of the drivers door speaker. Something Honda did with the Connect unit.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:32:55 AM by Kremmen »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:45:39 AM »
I prefer to use the PocketGPSWorld speed camera database as it seems to be the most accurate I've used.

One advantage of "live" systems like Google Maps & Waze is that users report active mobile cameras that may only be present for a few hours, and you get alerts about those. How frequently does PocketGPSWorld update? Recent Panorama investigation determined that many fixed cameras are now inactive and enforcement (if any) is via mobile units so knowing about them can be more important than knowing where the fixed ones are. Or you can just drive within the speed limits, which the car thoughtfully displays for you.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 12:18:05 PM »
This is an example of how STA interacts with the car system. The alerts do sound quiet because they only come out of the drivers door speaker. Something Honda did with the Connect unit.

No-one would have believed in the first years of the twenty first century that human affairs were being watched and you'd get copyright match on that...  ;D

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
... There seems to be a lot concern about speed camera detection.
Are people travelling too fast?
With the MK4 it's even easier to stay within the speed limits.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 01:09:55 PM »
Absolutely right about staying within the speed limits. I use the warnings as a reminder to check my speed because these days with quiet comfy cars it's so easy to creep over.

Tags:

anything