Author Topic: New South African variant.  (Read 42148 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: New South African variant.
« Reply #510 on: April 02, 2022, 11:42:58 AM »
New Zealand and their ( failed ) draconian zero covid policy now looks like St Jacinda was the 'King Canute of Covid'... they are seeing a massive surge in cases and a lot of deaths in last few weeks... 700,000 cases in a country of less than 5 million.. New Zealand is one of the most vaccinated countries  on the planet.

Deaths/Million population 
New Zealand 66   
UK  2417 

Total cases/Million population
New Zealand 136817
UK                309698

Source  Worldometer 2/4/2022
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Better to be having the cases now when the majority of the population is vaccinated than earlier in the pandemic when there was little vaccination.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths?country=GBR~NZL     

Edit Added world in data graph
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 09:00:57 AM by JimSh »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #511 on: April 02, 2022, 03:05:50 PM »
New Zealand and their ( failed ) draconian zero covid policy now looks like St Jacinda was the 'King Canute of Covid'... they are seeing a massive surge in cases and a lot of deaths in last few weeks... 700,000 cases in a country of less than 5 million.. New Zealand is one of the most vaccinated countries  on the planet.

Deaths/Million population 
New Zealand 66   
UK  2417 

Total cases/Million population
New Zealand 136817
UK                309698

Source  Worldometer 2/4/2022
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Better to be having the cases now when the majority of the population is vaccinated than earlier in the pandemic when there was little vaccination.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths

Edit Added world in data graph

Don't confuse us with FACTS. :'(

Until 2 months ago, we had seen no  (Zero) Covid cases  in nearly two years amongst people who are close acquaintances. In the past  month we have seen:
Our neighbours across the road - late 70s, husband in bed at home for three days.Wife caught from him.
A pair in their 80s who I used to see regularly when I shopped in Aldi. Last time I saw them there,they were no longer wearlng masks -I was - and they tested positive next week.
Two members of our beekeeping club whom I see weekly.Both work with children.
And  five other friends of my wife.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #512 on: April 02, 2022, 03:56:54 PM »

Don't confuse us with FACTS. :'(

Until 2 months ago, we had seen no  (Zero) Covid cases  in nearly two years amongst people who are close acquaintances. In the past  month we have seen:
Our neighbours across the road - late 70s, husband in bed at home for three days.Wife caught from him.
A pair in their 80s who I used to see regularly when I shopped in Aldi. Last time I saw them there,they were no longer wearlng masks -I was - and they tested positive next week.
Two members of our beekeeping club whom I see weekly.Both work with children.
And  five other friends of my wife.

Yep, there's a lot more of it about here too.
The government want us to believe it's all over (removal of restrictions and free testing) and won't do anything until after there's an emergency situation in hospitals, schools, shops or whatever.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #513 on: April 03, 2022, 12:18:08 PM »
I had the Pfizer vaccine and I have never caught Covid.

Same here. Vaccinated back in May and July with the booster in Decemeber.

At work we are still required to wear masks when not sitting at our desks or eating or drinking. Two metre social distance unless unavoidable and one person per table in the canteen.

One person in my office has been off for a good two weeks or so. She was shielding from the second week in March 2020 until Novemeber that year.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #514 on: April 04, 2022, 03:08:01 PM »
XE (XD & XF)

https://medriva.com/what-is-the-omicron-xe-variant-and-why-are-scientists-concerned-about-their-rapid-transmission-rates-fueling-the-uk/#gs.vplfzu

See conclusion.
"Once again, the UK is experiencing another rapid rise of infections, with many cases of Omicron being detected each and every day. Combine it with laxity in personal protection and complete relaxation of COVID-19 protocols and you have a ticking time bomb on your hands. The government seems to have lost its way regarding Omicron outbreaks as it grapples with other economic issues of concern, relaxing Covid norms and trying to sleep its way through the issue."

"We all need direction from our governments, and the government seems to have lost its way as it tussles with one issue after another. Since all COVID-19 precautionary measures are now removed, if you are living in the UK, you’ve got to think on your own and not let your guard down. You should continue to follow the COVID guidelines diligently with responsibility."

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 03:12:42 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 04:29:15 PM by JimSh »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #516 on: September 12, 2023, 12:59:15 PM »
Oh bu**er

Wonder if I've got this latest variant
Let's be careful out there !

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #517 on: September 12, 2023, 01:48:07 PM »
Hope you're over it soon.
My wife and I caught Covid for the first time the end of May this year following my wife travelling to and attending a stadium concert. I was fortunate to have mostly milder symptoms compared to the usual yearly colds I caught pre the lock down.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #518 on: September 12, 2023, 01:58:43 PM »
My timeline has been odd

Couldn't sleep Thu night, just insomnia but felt OK
Then Fri/Sat couldn't get out of bed, like Flu, coughing and sneezing, blocked nose the full monty, took test and the COVID line was very feint so not that contagious according to the blurb
Sun a bit rough, just one blocked nostril, but no energy
Mon got energy back but still mild cough, sneezing. Going through hankies like I own the shop
This morning felt a lot better so took another test to see if I was clear and the COVID line appeared solid red as soon as the liquid got to it, the previous feint line took the full half hour before I could spot it.

So I'm now giving out a full viral load

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #519 on: September 12, 2023, 08:05:43 PM »
I had Covid earlier in the year and I fully believe if I had not had my full gamut of shots I would not be here now. I have an appointment for my next booster before the end of the month.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #520 on: September 12, 2023, 11:03:33 PM »
...Tested +ve last Thursday morning and only returned to work today. Just as unpleasant as in August 2021.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #521 on: September 16, 2023, 02:02:03 PM »
This morning felt a lot better so took another test to see if I was clear and the COVID line appeared solid red as soon as the liquid got to it, the previous feint line took the full half hour before I could spot it.
In my past experience the lateral flow tests confirm that you've had covid after you've almost got over it.

I read or heard about a month ago that the experts reckoned that at any time about one million people in UK had covid but most weren't aware of it. The decision to bring forward the autumn jabs has been triggered by a new variant. I also wonder if the cooler and wet weather in July and August will have helped the virus spread as more people will have been inside.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #522 on: September 16, 2023, 02:12:49 PM »
I feel almost fully recovered but I still got a solid red line Thu

Next test Monday I reckon

Tags: