Author Topic: New South African variant.  (Read 42105 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: New South African variant.
« Reply #495 on: March 24, 2022, 06:56:11 PM »
I had the Pfizer vaccine and I have never caught Covid.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #496 on: March 24, 2022, 06:57:31 PM »

Where were you hiding ?  The vaccines protect from serous illness, they do not really stop you catching Covid.  We were out and about over Christmas and New Year partying, and have not worn a mask since end of January...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 07:05:56 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2022, 07:19:20 PM »
+1 and my wife +2

My wife is immune deficient due to cancer treatment.  I deplore all the selfish people who fail to wear masks and hence remove an element of protection for others.  They should be ashamed of themselves.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 07:22:55 PM by ColinS »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #498 on: March 24, 2022, 07:57:38 PM »
My wife and I have just tested positive for the first time. We do not have symptoms worse than a normal heavy cold. I do wonder if the lack of mask wearing is responsible.
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #499 on: March 24, 2022, 08:49:44 PM »
You really wonder if...? Really?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #500 on: March 24, 2022, 09:01:54 PM »
Where were you hiding ?
I didn't do any hiding. Just followed the rules. I always wear a mask when shopping (a legal requirement in Scotland) and have no need to use public transport. My wife was shielding so I have been extra careful as to who I met and where.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2022, 04:50:59 AM »
Same here, I always wear a FFP2 mask in shops and I only use public transport in the quiet times and then very rarely.

I've also never caught it.

My local Tesco is very quiet at 08:00, there are more 'Internet shoppers' than customers.

Don't get me started on the selfish Internet shoppers though with their large green trolleys.
Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2022, 08:49:54 AM »
I still wear a mask in shops, maybe questionable effectiveness but it's not going to make anything worse so might as well. I consider the main thing is to remember to avoid touching your face with your hands while in there, and use sanitiser on the trolley handle when you pick it up, and use hand sanitizer as soon as you are out.

I got flu 3 or 4 yrs ago, and a friend said it would have been from the supermarket. Initially I dismissed that theory, but subsequently and especially with the Covid evidence I think this is probably one of the most likely transmission methods of such infections, so from now on I'll do the sanitising routine. It surely isn't a coincidence that seasonal flu essentially disappeared while the main Covid precautions were in force.

Of course everyone is (now) free to do as they wish.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2022, 08:58:13 AM »
Strange thing is that countries that locked down the hardest, and kept the restrictions the longest are now suffering more from Covid.... It was also said that >85% of schoolkids in UK had antibodies, but they were still talking about giving 5 to 16 year olds 'boosters'  FFS... the 'vaccines' are not risk free by any means.   I was impressed by the 17 to 25 year olds reaction to being offered vaccines though, the take up was less than 20%.... people that age ignoring government propaganda gives me hope for the future of UK ......
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #504 on: March 25, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »
It's not a matter of ignoring "government propaganda".  In the younger population there never has been a significant risk of death or severe illness and at that age, unfortunately, you are not overly concerned about protecting other people but more about enjoying life.  That is not a criticism as no doubt we were all like it at that age.

It has been proven that face covering, social distancing and sanitising reduces the chance of transmitting infection and as can now be seen, people will generally not do these things unless they are mandated.

I have spent several months now taking my wife to hospital for various appointments and even there some people have to be told to put on masks.  And a great number of people do not make use of the hand sanitizers.

I'm not saying that sticking by the government guidelines will eradicate Covid, but in my opinion it takes very little effort and does a lot of good (certainly no harm).  Of course there are always those who adopt the "I know best and you're not telling me what to do" attitude.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #505 on: March 25, 2022, 03:22:47 PM »
Strange thing is that countries that locked down the hardest, and kept the restrictions the longest are now suffering more from Covid....
Surely it was better at the start of the pandemic, when little was known about the virus to lockdown quickly.
Now that we have vaccines and anti-virals and a better understandig of treatments and we know that the present dominant variant is not as deadly as previous mutations, it is not so important to have such strict measures in place

It was also said that >85% of schoolkids in UK had antibodies, but they were still talking about giving 5 to 16 year olds 'boosters'  FFS... the 'vaccines' are not risk free by any means. 
School kids can pass on the disease to older people with less efficient immune systems.
Even if the disease is not life threatening it will disrupt education - more so if teachers are infected.
The long term effects of Covid on youngsters are not yet fully understood. Infections could be laying down the basis of health problems later in life. They may well be more serious than the low risks of vaccination.
  I was impressed by the 17 to 25 year olds reaction to being offered vaccines though, the take up was less than 20%..
I think it was more due to apathy and a sense of not being in any immediate danger than a conscious decision.
Well done the considerate 20%.

"Learning to live with covid " is not just a matter of ignoring it and carrying on as if it doesn't exist.
We still have to be aware of the danger to vulnerable people and the implications of our actions.
Governments, health services  and local health  authorities have to be prepared for future outbreaks of possibly more dangerous variants.

Here is the latest consultation document issued by Indie-Sage (pdf)
https://www.independentsage.org/what-should-learning-to-live-with-covid-really-mean-in-2022/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 04:12:33 PM by JimSh »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #506 on: March 25, 2022, 07:03:37 PM »
Strange thing is that countries that locked down the hardest, and kept the restrictions the longest are now suffering more from Covid.
More accurately it's the areas where covid didn't spread previously, for whatever reason, are now the areas with higher caseloads due to lack of protection provided by previous infection and/or vaccination. The UK map https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/cases shows that the north of Scotland is now badly afflicted.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2022, 08:36:04 AM »
Latest Indy-Sage briefing.
Main topic "Learning to live with Covid" - Mistakes made, lessons learned and unlearned. Planning for the future.
Including references to discussion document in previous post.

All the slides are published earlier this week.
Video and slides can be accessed from here.
https://www.independentsage.org/weekly-briefing-25th-march-2022/

0-5min           Introduction
5-17min         Longer term view
17-20min       "Living with Covid" paper intro
20-24 min      Public Policy
24-30min       NHS particularly GPs
30-35min       Inequality
35-40min       Mutations and variants
40-46min       Advisory structures       These last two sections should be of particular interest to Culzean.
46- 51min      Interpretation of data
51-end           Questions . The answer to the first question should be of interest
                                       to John Ratsey re his recent post on                 
                                       gaining immunity by infection

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 04:58:24 PM by JimSh »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #508 on: April 01, 2022, 08:25:04 PM »
Latest Indie-Sage briefing.
Main topic - creating safe workplaces.

Scotland's infections may have peaked although there have been difficulties with the data processing in the last few days. Hospitalisations and deaths are still increasing.
Infections are now rising in England and Wales.

Briefing and slides available from this page.
https://www.independentsage.org/weekly-briefing-1st-april-2022/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #509 on: April 02, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »
New Zealand and their ( failed ) draconian zero covid policy now looks like St Jacinda was the 'King Canute of Covid'... they are seeing a massive surge in cases and a lot of deaths in last few weeks... 700,000 cases in a country of less than 5 million.. New Zealand is one of the most vaccinated countries  on the planet.

Tags:

anything