Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 34289 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2022, 12:23:29 PM »
I was considering topping up with Tesco 'premium' next time but based on your test I'll stick with the 95RON E10 jollop.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2022, 02:10:11 PM »
Thinking along similar lines. I need to refuel so rarely that the extra cost per litre is not a deal breaker but if there is literally no point I'll probably stick with E10.

sportse

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 50 mpg
  • My Honda: 21 EX Platinum White Pearl & Grey Leather
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2022, 02:50:55 PM »
Thinking along similar lines. I need to refuel so rarely that the extra cost per litre is not a deal breaker but if there is literally no point I'll probably stick with E10.

It surprised me, in other cars I've owned there were benefits of using the super fuel - with the Jazz just being a generator engine usually it doesn't seem to make any real difference.

If anything, I'd say the Jazz runs slightly smoother on 95 instead of super. In my previous Yaris hybrid it was the other way round, but that had a gearbox and the petrol engine was driving the wheels through it in combination with the electric motors.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2022, 03:08:08 PM »
I wonder in the longer term if the extra cleaning agents in Shell super petrol would benefit the engine? Also won't filling with E10 with 10%  hydroscopic ethanol increase the rate of water absorption into the fuel and is that likely to have long term corrosion risks for fuel lines etc?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
I did a similar exercise in my first 8G Civic. I used Tesco Standard, BP Ultimate and Shell V Power. At that time I was doing a tank full a fortnight so I ran each for a month to reduce any hybrid mixes.

The results were almost identical with an average of only 1mpg difference and no noticeable performance gain.

sportse

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 50 mpg
  • My Honda: 21 EX Platinum White Pearl & Grey Leather
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2022, 09:26:03 PM »
I wonder in the longer term if the extra cleaning agents in Shell super petrol would benefit the engine? Also won't filling with E10 with 10%  hydroscopic ethanol increase the rate of water absorption into the fuel and is that likely to have long term corrosion risks for fuel lines etc?
Most fuels have cleaning agents added, itís just that the super fuels have more.

The standard agents should be fine, as for E10 as itís marked on a sticker in my fuel flap as approved Iím not worried - I tend to get through a tank or so every week so water absorption shouldnít be an issue.

If the car was being left for a few months it might make a difference, but you could fill up with super fuel before leaving the car. V power is marked as Ďup toí E5 but may actually be E0.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2022, 03:39:56 PM »
Just filled up. 299 miles and 3 bars left on the fuel gauge. 48.8 mpg for the last tank.

It doesn't look great but it's about 10 mpg better than my MK3 would have been in similar conditions. Average speed 15 mph which tells you all you need to know about what sort of driving I've been doing.

The effect on mpg of cold weather is quite stark. At least 5 mpg spent on keeping the heater on I reckon as a ball park figure.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2022, 10:43:40 AM »
Just on mpg and referring to the latest "Which" review which had the Jazz as the best car in the small car category, it seems the Jazz averages better than the small car average which is 48.7 mpg. "Which" got 55.4 mpg average and this is from all driving scenarios.

Only the Yaris did better.

Keeping warm in the winter is the biggie but, even in this colder period and allowing for my short trip driving profile, I achieved just under 49 mpg.

Can't wait for the warmer weather!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2022, 11:05:15 AM »
So that's Which? and Whatcar that have the Jazz top of the small car sector.

:D

Roman

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV Elegance
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2022, 10:42:59 PM »

Only the Yaris did better.

Keeping warm in the winter is the biggie but, even in this colder period and allowing for my short trip driving profile, I achieved just under 49 mpg.

Can't wait for the warmer weather!

Yes keeping warm Ö.
I remember from time I leaving in Ukraine in winter most drivers put in front of radiator cardboard or special designed ďmaskĒ for radiator grill
Interesting do Yaris have active grille shutters ?
I canít understand, some Honda models do have them, but Jazz that can be super fuel efficient Honda decided not use them.
Some time ago I get excellent fuel economy (2.6-2,8l/100km) but I think that time is 98 RON fuel, but that something else
When I topped up fuel I did 16km trip before that, and engine was warmed to itís working temperature.
I suspect that when carís  tested for fuel consumption engine already at itís working temperature.
That how in Japanese national test for fuel efficiency they get 2,8l/100l, when engine warmed up I can easily get 3l/100km in town, in current weather (+12) on road with  speed restriction 80km/h I getting 3,2l/100km on long 100km trips.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2022, 05:11:32 AM »
The front of the MK4 has a lot less open grill which is probably why it warms up quicker.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »
I tend to use the heated seats initially and only switch on the climate system once the engine has had a chance to warm up. I've been getting around 60mpg in winter and I was getting 70mpg in summer but I don't do much motorway driving, I have the ECO button on all the time.

Roman

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV Elegance
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »
The front of the MK4 has a lot less open grill which is probably why it warms up quicker.

But still loses coolant temperature in town, if you driving at speeds 40-50km/h with temperature outside that far from winter temperature in UK. Seen temperature loses when outside +10, and because of that to get best fuel economy displayed need to drive twice more distance then in summer

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2022, 11:37:49 AM »
I've no idea about coolant temp as it hasn't got a gauge.

One would have been useful.

PTJAZZ

« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
Today 7000 Km.

According to BC average 3.3 L, real 3.56 L

Not bad for the best Hybrid on the market.

Tags: