Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142602 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2022, 03:39:56 PM »
Just filled up. 299 miles and 3 bars left on the fuel gauge. 48.8 mpg for the last tank.

It doesn't look great but it's about 10 mpg better than my MK3 would have been in similar conditions. Average speed 15 mph which tells you all you need to know about what sort of driving I've been doing.

The effect on mpg of cold weather is quite stark. At least 5 mpg spent on keeping the heater on I reckon as a ball park figure.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2022, 10:43:40 AM »
Just on mpg and referring to the latest "Which" review which had the Jazz as the best car in the small car category, it seems the Jazz averages better than the small car average which is 48.7 mpg. "Which" got 55.4 mpg average and this is from all driving scenarios.

Only the Yaris did better.

Keeping warm in the winter is the biggie but, even in this colder period and allowing for my short trip driving profile, I achieved just under 49 mpg.

Can't wait for the warmer weather!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2022, 11:05:15 AM »
So that's Which? and Whatcar that have the Jazz top of the small car sector.

:D
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2022, 10:42:59 PM »

Only the Yaris did better.

Keeping warm in the winter is the biggie but, even in this colder period and allowing for my short trip driving profile, I achieved just under 49 mpg.

Can't wait for the warmer weather!

Yes keeping warm ….
I remember from time I leaving in Ukraine in winter most drivers put in front of radiator cardboard or special designed “mask” for radiator grill
Interesting do Yaris have active grille shutters ?
I can’t understand, some Honda models do have them, but Jazz that can be super fuel efficient Honda decided not use them.
Some time ago I get excellent fuel economy (2.6-2,8l/100km) but I think that time is 98 RON fuel, but that something else
When I topped up fuel I did 16km trip before that, and engine was warmed to it’s working temperature.
I suspect that when car’s  tested for fuel consumption engine already at it’s working temperature.
That how in Japanese national test for fuel efficiency they get 2,8l/100l, when engine warmed up I can easily get 3l/100km in town, in current weather (+12) on road with  speed restriction 80km/h I getting 3,2l/100km on long 100km trips.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2022, 05:11:32 AM »
The front of the MK4 has a lot less open grill which is probably why it warms up quicker.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »
I tend to use the heated seats initially and only switch on the climate system once the engine has had a chance to warm up. I've been getting around 60mpg in winter and I was getting 70mpg in summer but I don't do much motorway driving, I have the ECO button on all the time.

guest9814

« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »
The front of the MK4 has a lot less open grill which is probably why it warms up quicker.

But still loses coolant temperature in town, if you driving at speeds 40-50km/h with temperature outside that far from winter temperature in UK. Seen temperature loses when outside +10, and because of that to get best fuel economy displayed need to drive twice more distance then in summer

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2022, 11:37:49 AM »
I've no idea about coolant temp as it hasn't got a gauge.

One would have been useful.

PTJAZZ

• Registered Member
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
Today 7000 Km.

According to BC average 3.3 L, real 3.56 L

Not bad for the best Hybrid on the market.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2022, 05:57:44 PM »
Great average consumption!
On Spritmonitor https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/1259542.html I see that you travel 33% on motorways, 33% on country roads and 33% in the city.
My questions:
- Where and under what climate conditions do you live?
- At what speed do you drive on the motorway?

If nothing goes right, go left!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2022, 06:12:43 PM »
Double post... :-[
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 06:55:58 PM by Jazzik »

guest9814

« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2022, 07:17:32 PM »
I've no idea about coolant temp as it hasn't got a gauge.

One would have been useful.
I using car scanner app with elm327 adapter.

PTJAZZ

• Registered Member
« Reply #252 on: January 24, 2022, 01:45:37 PM »
Jazzik I live in Lisbon and my average speed on motorway is maximum 100 Km / h

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #253 on: January 24, 2022, 03:29:26 PM »
Ah... that explains it! Average max. daytime temperature around 14, 15°C instead of maximum around or just above 0°C (and regularly significantly lower) here in Toruń makes a difference!
Our average speed on the motorway (where the maximum allowed speed is 140 km/h) is normally around 120 km/h and sometimes a bit faster...

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2022, 10:52:35 PM »
The hybrid scores in several ways, one being that kinetic energy is converted to electricity and  recuperated (stored) in the battery while braking or decelerating, and the stored electricity can be converted back to kinetic energy to propel the car. A non-hybrid  simply wastes kinetic energy to heat in the brake pads and discs . Other differences are adoption of the Atkinson cycle for the engine, which trades off torque for economy of  fuel consumption, Atkinson cycle engines are better when assisted by a hybrid electric motor to plug the gap for reduced engine torque
Also the hybrid system means that the engine (when running) spends more time in its most efficient range. Something I noticed when I first got my Crosstar and used Torque + a Bluetooth OBDII reader to monitor the engine behaviour was that the engine was never run at below 1600 rpm. My presumption is that excess power goes to the battery which then takes over and lets the engine go to sleep. This behaviour is very noticeable in crawling traffic. The hybrid system, however, provides minimal benefit during motorway cruising.

Really useful information, John, thanks. I'm considering upgrading my beloved Mk2 ahead of retiring next year -- it's a fabulous car, but the manual 5 speed box is a bit of a pain on my arthritic feet, and it's a wee bit noisy on the motorway. I'm also fascinated by the hybrid technology.

Thanks again.

Tags: