Author Topic: Does Mk4 Jazz ever drive in EV mode with climate control on?  (Read 9212 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Does Mk4 Jazz ever drive in EV mode with climate control on?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
If I read the info correctly, the engine cuts in over a certain speed. If so then would your route be calculated avoiding motorways.

Time v Cost
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 03:35:37 PM »
All the energy used to move the car from A to B comes from petrol, used to power the ICE. How you make the most of that energy is determined by how fast you drive and how much you use the brakes. Avoiding the motorway could let you limit your speed but unless you go for a PHEV you cannot alter where your energy comes from.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »
The difference between the Jazz and most other ICE cars is that the Jazz uses an Atkinson cycle engine. An Atkinson engine is inherently more efficient than a regular Otto cycle engine but doesn't provide as much power, most of the time the engine is just driving the generator so max power is irrelevant. This is why although all the power comes from petrol the Jazz is super efficient in turning petrol into energy to drive the car.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 10:33:34 AM »
How very true, a friend has a Jag i-Pace and he gets nowhere near the quoted 250 mile range in summer. He reckons nearer to 150.

Yes - even the new WLTP figures, although much less "optimistic" than NEDC, still tend to exaggerate the range. I read somewhere than WLTP is attainable but would require extraordinary discipline to attain and only then in summer. The other factor to bear in mind is that, for reasons of preserving the battery, not all the kwhs quoted are available. In the case of the Honda E only 28 of the 35 are useable although that is probably a reflection of Honda's conservative approach.

My Nissan Leaf owning pal (a 2014 24 kwh model with 22 kwh useable) reckons about 3.2 miles per kwh is a useful yardstick for his winter range so little more than 70 miles. In the summer about 3.9 is realistic so high 80's. He reckons he got 100 once but it was squeaky bum time towards the end.

You need an enormous battery to get close to ICE ranges. The VW ID4 is available with a choice of batteries including a 70 plus kwh unit but even then 250 miles or less is about the most you'll get.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »
How very true, a friend has a Jag i-Pace and he gets nowhere near the quoted 250 mile range in summer. He reckons nearer to 150.
If the UK is to be successful in banning new ICE vehicles from 2030, we will need major progress in EV range and rapid recharging widely available.  My car is parked 30 yards away from my home, so home charging is impossible, as it is for many others. If I’m still allowed to drive I think I’ll buy a hybrid in 2029!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 12:27:10 PM »
There will be lots in the same boat where charging is impossible at home and who wants to spend half an hour or so on the way to or from work at a public charger.

Hopefully technology will move on or they will be forced to delay full electric.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 04:35:55 PM »
I guess the extended 2035 deadline for hybrids will be absolutely necessary.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »
How is anyone going to tow a caravan, stop every 100 miles to re-charge?
You wonder just how much thought went into the decision to adopt 2030 as a cut off date.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »
How is anyone going to tow a caravan?
By keeping an old gas-guzzling filth-producing diesel until anything non-EV has been banned from the roads. It might then be necessary to exploit a loophole by having a vintage diesel vehicle.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2021, 06:21:49 PM »
How is anyone going to tow a caravan?
By keeping an old gas-guzzling filth-producing diesel until anything non-EV has been banned from the roads. It might then be necessary to exploit a loophole by having a vintage diesel vehicle.
That's exactly what I think. But what is it going to do to the caravan building industry? Employs thousands in UK and without any assurances on towing vehicles potential buyers are going to be put off. So a few more thousand jobs sacrificed on the altar of virtue signalling by government.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
If nothing goes right, go left!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 06:50:54 PM »
You wonder just how much thought went into the decision to adopt 2030 as a cut off date.

One gallon of petrol has over 25 kilowatt hours of energy, that is as much as an original Nissan Leaf battery - added to that both solar and wind are very weak energy streams that need an awful lot of equipment to extract meaningful amounts of energy.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2021, 07:04:20 PM »
2030 is the date after which you will not be able to buy a new petrol or diesel car, not own and run one. As the owner of a 15 years old ICE, it is quite realistic there will be many ICE vehicles still going about, towing caravans if that is your thing. So almost 30 years into the future. Green technology will have progressed a long way before then, not that I will see it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2021, 07:41:34 PM »

I agree - here are the figures from the video - and max speed was 50mph - conditions damn near perfect - no wind, dry road, and sunny.  Range without caravan was pretty much 2.5x

The car used is a Tesla Model 3, long range, all wheel drive from 2019.

Here are the statistics from the drive:
Distance travelled: 201 km (125 miles)
Total elevation change: 974 m (3196 feet)
Energy used: 70kWh
Speed: 80km/h (50mph)
Consumption with the caravan: 374Wh/km (558Wh/mile)
Consumption without the caravan: 145Wh/km (233Wh/mile)
Added consumption by the caravan: +202Wh/km (+325Wh/mile) or +140%
Range: 216 km (134 miles)
Endurance: 2.5 hours
This test was done under the following conditions: Calm winds, sunny, dry road, 5C, studless winter tires.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:45:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2021, 09:59:39 PM »
One gallon of petrol has over 25 kilowatt hours of energy, that is as much as an original Nissan Leaf battery - added to that both solar and wind are very weak energy streams that need an awful lot of equipment to extract meaningful amounts of energy.
I think it’s more like 45 kWh per gallon of petrol, so using 45 mpg as a typical consumption, this means 1 mile/kWh.  However, there are a lot of thermal losses in an ICE, so 3-4 miles/kWh is realistic for an EV.  I think 2 watts/sq m, or 2MW per sq km, is a realistic norm for a wind farm (assuming the wind is blowing!).

Tags: