Author Topic: Exhaust trouble  (Read 2021 times)

Njazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 SE Sport
Exhaust trouble
« on: May 05, 2019, 10:22:28 PM »
Noticed the exhaust getting louder over a few weeks so decided to have a look under and found a crack in between mid section and back box.

Any one come across this before and how did you fix it or what would you recommend to fix it?

Thanks in advance

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Exhaust trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 11:08:55 PM »
Looks like the fire ring has disintegrated that goes between the two flanges.

The flanges look pretty scabby too, but they may clean up well enough to seal against a new ring. If they are not very good, you have to have a good look at the rest of the exhaust and decide if it's time for a new one.

Njazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:22:38 AM »
Looks like the fire ring has disintegrated that goes between the two flanges.

The flanges look pretty scabby too, but they may clean up well enough to seal against a new ring. If they are not very good, you have to have a good look at the rest of the exhaust and decide if it's time for a new one.

Thanks Paul,
Should the two flanges be so far apart? Every video I have seen the flanges are right close together with the springs outside on the rear flange.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
Yes, that joint has been put together wrong. The springs should be on the back of the back box flange, forcing the two flanges together onto the fire ring.

The sealing flanges are the rounded bits, the rear box has a bit of pipe through the flange it to centre the joint. The fire ring is a thick doughnut of woven wire which seals between the two convex faces. If these faces will wire brush up adequately, and you can get the bolts undone (you might need some heat on the nuts) you might be in business with a new ring.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:00:20 AM by sparky Paul »

Njazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »
The joint is designed to have only a little movement when tightened up, and that gap doesn't look too far away from the thickness of the ring. However, there doesn't appear to be a lot of tension on the springs, perhaps they were never tightened up enough in the first place. A tiny leak of gasses and water from the combustion process and the converter can soon rot a joint out.

The sealing flanges are the rounded bits, the rear box has a bit of pipe through the flange it to centre the joint. The fire ring is a thick doughnut of woven wire which seals between the two convex faces. If these faces will wire brush up adequately, and you can get the bolts undone (you might need some heat on the nuts) you might be in business with a new ring.

The bolts seem fine as I made slight tights in them yesterday hoping it would squeeze together. I want to try and sort this myself for as little as possible.

I'm just puzzled to why the springs are inside instead of on the rear flange.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »
I'm just puzzled to why the springs are inside instead of on the rear flange.

You're absolutely right, I didn't even look at the springs on first glance. The joint has been assembled incorrectly, hence the leak, hence the rot.

You will need a new fire ring, but you you might get away with that. 45mm inside diameter, Klarius part number is GMG12.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:17:53 AM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 09:33:32 AM »
Yes the springs are there to force the joint together but allow joint to move.  The Honda OEM exhaust has a 'ball and socket' joint that can swivel as engine moves, the aftermarket ones tend to have a much simpler joint and they tend to pack it with cement to stop it leaking,  but that does not allow any movement between the joint, which may be one reason aftermarket exhausts can fail in less than 2 years ( apart from the fact that OEM system is 3x heavier gauge material than aftermarket ones unless you pay a bit for Bosal or Honda system ).  in my experience the OEM exhaust usually lasts 10 years +,  and aftermarket ones fail a month over the 2 year warranty.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Njazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
Just an update.

Gasket replaced, springs back to there original side and no blowing 👍

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 08:57:20 PM »
Good oh. Always a relief when the car is back on the road.

Njazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 10:23:39 PM »
Thanks Jocko, It's nice to have her purring again.

Surprised how easy it was actually, this is my first car and it was my first DIY mechanical job on a car.

Unfortunately she may not see through the Mot in July as I saw a lot of rust underneath her, well she is 17 years old!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 08:32:55 AM »
Mine shows surface rust underneath, particularly at the rear, but it has been like that all the time I have had it and it has never been mentioned at an MOT.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
Just an update.

Gasket replaced, springs back to there original side and no blowing 👍

Smashing.

The rust protection on the Jazz underside is not particularly good, they could all do with a good waxoyl. However, most of it is just surface rust - MOT person will only be interested in rot, surface rust won't be a problem. So long as it's solid around the rear axle mounts, sills and front subframe mounts, it should be fine.

If it's never been advised on an MOT, you would be unlucky to go from that to a fail for rot in 12 months.

Njazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
OK ideal fingers crossed then that it's not to bad and she passes.

Tags:

anything