Author Topic: Car still running after being locked...?  (Read 2252 times)

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: Car still running after being locked...?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
...I tried this morning and it wouldn't lock at all. Msg on the screen said key fob not present...

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »
Oh for the days when you could get in a car, put the key in, start it, drive, stop, turn it off, get out, lock, and walk away.
Now you need to go on a training course just to know how to get out of the car.

Progress?

(yours truly, Joe Luddite  :D )

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should", manufacturers please take note.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 12:45:31 PM »
Its getting increasingly difficult to live without having, and being able to work,  a smartphone  . Pay and display parking  machines being replaced with phone payment etc.     Its probably inevitable cars will increasing expect users to be tech savvy and 'connected'.    Knowing you press button B to get your fourpence back doesn't suffice any more. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 06:22:11 PM »
Ha ha pressing the B button .. the days of using a phone to actually speak to people let alone using coins to do so…!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 09:06:40 PM »
If I walk away from car whils ot is running and have the keys with me it makes several loud beeps - is this designed to stop me not locking whilst leaving car?

It’s to help prevent the law being broken. It’s illegal to leave a car unattended with the engine running on a public highway (although that particular law hasn’t yet caught up with the advent of hybrids where the car’s powered up but the engine isn’t necessarily running). The car doesn’t know if there’s anyone else in the car or whether it’s on a public road, so you’re getting a warning. And I suspect your insurance company would take a dim view of leaving a car unlocked.

I do not deliberatley leave car in that state, but when in driveway for instance unloading prior to garaging I have noted that beeping.
I related this fact to try and given the original query an indication a further indication of 'power' lets say instead of just engine being left on should result in a warning to prevent such an event.

I really did not want to elicit a lecture on rights/wrongs legallity or insurance repercussions.

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 07:46:03 AM »
I tried this on mine yesterday just to check, I left the engine running, got out and shut the door, it gave me the warning beeps so was ok, however the beeps themselves are not very loud so could be missed in a noisy area. Would be a better option for the car to sound the horn.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 08:09:56 AM »
I tried this on mine yesterday just to check, I left the engine running, got out and shut the door, it gave me the warning beeps so was ok, however the beeps themselves are not very loud so could be missed in a noisy area. Would be a better option for the car to sound the horn.

...Did you try and lock it though?

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 10:09:44 AM »
I have the door mirrors set to fold in when the car is locked. I always glance back to check that the mirrors are folded in.
Neil Ives

Victor Delta

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid 2021
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2023, 05:31:31 PM »
Did some more tests today on our Jazz. With the power still on, nothing happens when you open the door and get out. When the door is closed there are 4/5 very quiet beeps (lasting 1-2 seconds, if that, in total) which could easily be inaudible in a busy street environment. The beeps seem to come from somewhere near the rear wheels. When you try to lock the car using the fob, nothing happens - the car doesn't lock, the indicator lights don't flash and there is no warning sound i.e. so nothing to alert you.

I have to say I find this very poor for a company like Honda that prides itself on safety features etc. Curiously my CR-V beeps loudly when you open the driver's door with the engine still running, which seems a much better arrangement. I wonder why they didn't stick to that on the Jazz as I would expect it to be a company standard.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 05:35:33 PM by Victor Delta »

Hub1

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: HRV 2022 Advance
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2023, 07:49:07 PM »
My Crosstar always beeps (quite loud IMHO) when I leave the car still switched on and it has saved me quite a few times. Have you had it checked at your dealer as it could be a repairable fault?

Victor Delta

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid 2021
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2023, 08:09:26 PM »
I'll get them to check it on the next service.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2023, 11:18:06 AM »
I've never fiddled with them but I believe you can alter some alarm bong volumes in 'settings'. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags:

anything