Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175368 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »
wtf? 65mph in 2nd gear? you sure are aware that after it's peak point at 3.5-4k the performance drops even tho the revs increases? I do some ''drag races'' as well  , mainly with the busses, or a car I can see that is even slower than a jazz-not many cars like that exist tho...
Peak torque is likely to be around 5,000 rpm (see http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/LSERIESG2/index.html) but the power increases up to around 6,000 rpm.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

stesjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 1.4ex azure blue
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
wtf? 65mph in 2nd gear? you sure are aware that after it's peak point at 3.5-4k the performance drops even tho the revs increases? I do some ''drag races'' as well  , mainly with the busses, or a car I can see that is even slower than a jazz-not many cars like that exist tho...
Peak torque is likely to be around 5,000 rpm (see http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/LSERIESG2/index.html) but the power increases up to around 6,000 rpm.
exactly john, peak bhp is at 6000rpm and peak torque around 4800rpm, the i-vetec basically closes one intake valve per cylinder,for economy then opens them up around 5000rpm plus for max performance on this engine.so its basically a 12v engine most of the time, then a 16v engine at the highest revs. to be fair my jazz now seems alot nippier after a 100mile run, so its definately done it good. i just wish it had shorter gear ratios so it would pull better, as nobody needs to do 65mph in 2nd gear!!, but it will!  :P my ford puma has an excellent close ratio box, and only does around 50mph in 2nd before change up is required, but it makes it very nippy indeed around town! ;-)

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »
I do some ''drag races'' as well  , mainly with the busses, or a car I can see that is even slower than a jazz-not many cars like that exist tho...
If its moving slower then you are faster
I've found that if I do come across anyone who wants to do that they always slow down so much for turns and roundabouts
Had an experience with some Audi guy
He thought I wanted to take him on because I over took him and didn't slow down for the roundabout
My reason was efficiency
His was just being an Audi guy

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »
I'm trading in my Oct 2008 MkII 1.4 manual which I've had from new for a new MkIII CVT.  Over the 7+ years, I've driven 65761 miles and bought 6280 litres of mainly supermarket 95 RON fuel.  This gives 10.47 miles/litre (5.97 litres/100 km) or 47.6 mpg.  This is mixed short run and long distance, but I try to stick to the 70 mph max limit.  According to the publicity, the MkIII will be somewhat more economical, but I shall be happy with the same again.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
According to the publicity, the MkIII will be somewhat more economical, but I shall be happy with the same again.
I think a fair target would be around 10% improvement. The auto idle stop will save a bit of fuel under stop-start driving, the Mk 3 has slightlly better aerodynamics which helps the open road mpg, plus there are tweaks to the engine and its management system.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
According to the publicity, the MkIII will be somewhat more economical, but I shall be happy with the same again.
I think a fair target would be around 10% improvement. The auto idle stop will save a bit of fuel under stop-start driving, the Mk 3 has slightlly better aerodynamics which helps the open road mpg, plus there are tweaks to the engine and its management system.

did you get a good trade in value for the mk2?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »

did you get a good trade in value for the mk2?
£3000 plus £600 discount on the new car and some free mats.  I have also bought 5 years servicing for £555.  I could probably have done better selling privately, but life's too short at 73!  I had been offered £2500 by a VW dealer against a Golf!  The Jazz will do all I need.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:07 PM »
I'm trading in my Oct 2008 MkII 1.4 manual which I've had from new for a new MkIII CVT.  Over the 7+ years, I've driven 65761 miles and bought 6280 litres of mainly supermarket 95 RON fuel.  This gives 10.47 miles/litre (5.97 litres/100 km) or 47.6 mpg.  This is mixed short run and long distance, but I try to stick to the 70 mph max limit.  According to the publicity, the MkIII will be somewhat more economical, but I shall be happy with the same again.

Hope you enjoy the new car.

Interesting little nugget in your post - 65761 miles on mainly supermarket 95 RON with no ill effects - this does counteract those who argue that it destroys cars - evidently it doesn't and 47.6 mpg overall isn't too shabby. I waver and wobble about fuel but you have given me faith to continue filling up at Sainsburys/Tesco.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
Looking at my  7+ years consumption figures in more detail, I find that for the 4 years when we lived 4 miles out of town and also had a Yaris which was used mainly by my wife for local trips, the Jazz averaged 48.4 mpg.  We then moved into the centre of town and sold the Yaris, since when the average Jazz consumption has changed to 46.1 mpg.  I'm not suggesting for a moment that my wife has a heavier right foot, but simply that the journey mix has changed, with the Jazz doing more short runs since we moved.  This shows how difficult it is to do meaningful comparisons.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
Indeed. Looking at my former Jazz - the same model as I have now but the pre 2011 facelift version - the highest mpg was 48.9 and the lowest mpg 33 (based on brim to brim and entered in fuelly.com). I do the odd long journey and that co-incided with the best mpg - the worst mpg was recorded in December with virtually all local journeys.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2016, 01:38:41 PM »

Interesting little nugget in your post - 65761 miles on mainly supermarket 95 RON with no ill effects - this does counteract those who argue that it destroys cars - evidently it doesn't and 47.6 mpg overall isn't too shabby. I waver and wobble about fuel but you have given me faith to continue filling up at Sainsburys/Tesco.

nobody said that supermarket fuel destroys engines - just that engine runs better on 'branded fuels' -  I proved this because my wife used to buy only supermarket fuel and i started filling her car with branded fuel without her knowledge,  she actually asked me if I had 'tuned' her engine to make it run better - pretty much a blind trial with no 'placebo effect' as some on here claim.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »
He thought I wanted to take him on because I over took him and didn't slow down for the roundabout
My reason was efficiency

AUDI and BMW drivers are easily wound up - they have a Germanic mentality and lets face it other road users don't go out of their way to make their life easy,  mainly because most of them attract road rage like jam attracts wasps,  mainly down to their arrogant attitude which seems to be supplied with the car badge.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »

nobody said that supermarket fuel destroys engines - just that engine runs better on 'branded fuels' -  I proved this because my wife used to buy only supermarket fuel and i started filling her car with branded fuel without her knowledge,  she actually asked me if I had 'tuned' her engine to make it run better - pretty much a blind trial with no 'placebo effect' as some on here claim.

Fair comment. I think there is a difference between your statement that you can get a measurable improvement in performance and/or economy from using higher octane fuels and others on the internet who talk about supermarket petrol being rubbish with no additives and being responsible for engine failure.

Interestingly, Greenergy, who supply Tesco with petrol and diesel have recently signed a deal to supply Esso with petrol so this indicates that the dividing line between branded and unbranded must be virtually non existent.

The key difference seems to be in a better additive package in the higher octane fuels.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2016, 03:44:29 PM »
My reason was efficiency

AUDI and BMW drivers are easily wound up - they have a Germanic mentality and lets face it other road users don't go out of their way to make their life easy,  mainly because most of them attract road rage like jam attracts wasps,  mainly down to their arrogant attitude which seems to be supplied with the car badge.

+ Vauxhall Insignia. Had one on a dual carriageway (I'm sure it's the same guy - silver 63plate facelift model) litetally block an overtake and another occasion speed up whilst I tried to overtake.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2016, 03:47:45 PM »
From Peteo48

Interestingly, Greenergy, who supply Tesco with petrol and diesel have recently signed a deal to supply Esso with petrol so this indicates that the dividing line between branded and unbranded must be virtually non existent.
The key difference seems to be in a better additive package in the higher octane fuels.

Their website is worth a glance.

Vic.

http://www.greenergy.com/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:50:50 PM by VicW »

Tags: