Author Topic: Mirror skull cap  (Read 4768 times)

guest5079

Mirror skull cap
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
Yesterday, in torrential rain met a nice lorry driver in a narrow lane. Usual Im bigger than you attitude. End result a set of fairly deep scratches in the mirror 'skull cap'.
Pain in the but but not the end of the world but a repaint job.
NOW I believe the removal of the skull cap has been covered previously but I cannot locate it. According to the manual, I have to remove the tabs inside the mirror housing one being shown as just under the indicator lens.
Any suggestions please as I am sure that the previous post mentioned pulling the bottom of the cover upwards to release it.
I would prefer not to have to buy a new cover at £63 if I charge in and break the clips.
Thanks >:(

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Mirror skull cap
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
I believe the actual mirror pulls outwards at the bottom clips then hinges up to release from the top hooks, not sure about the outer shell itself and indicator unit but they look like a combination of clips, screws and magic.  The whole mirror unit is held on by three bolts inside the door card, plus the cable plug/socket.

Pictures from http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/ > Body > Mirrors > Mirror Holder Replacement

--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
Thanks TG but as you have looked at the manual, it is not that clear. It says to push the clip in by the indicator BUT it's awfully close to the expensive bits. I really only want to take the skull cover off
I have found a cheepo pattern skull cover so I get that, spray it to correct colour and then see whats what.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »
I tried a different approach looking up replacing the indicator direction BUT which ever way you approach the problem  it means removing the mirror glass first.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
Removing the mirror glass is the easy bit, just pull outwards from the bottom edge before hinging up to unhook the top clips.  Takes a bit of nerve, but the mirror is surprisingly strong.  Recently done this on another car in the family fleet and am quite confident about performing the same action on a Jazz.
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
TG thank you for your support. Removing glass where ever it is can be tricky.

Sorry to be a pain but does  the adhesive they speak of remain capable of holding the glass once it has been disturbed or is it a case of buying special adhesive. Unfortunately there is no indication on the sheet dealing with this.
Thanks for your help

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »
If it's just access to the outer cover you want, then removing the mirror plate won't be an issue - no glue needed.
The mirror is stuck to a plastic plate with mouldings that engage with the movement mechanism, when you un-clip it the plastic backing plate and mirror glass come away as one piece and stay together, the movement mechanism stays in the mirror, the heating wires need unplugging.  It all goes back together the same way.

There's two lugs at the top and two friction clips at the bottom - pretty much exactly the same as when I changed the glass and skull cap on our Mazda.  I just used fingers but in this video for a similar year Accord they use a screwdriver as a lever to remove the mirror plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JreAaULZ1_A

Also goes on to show further dismantling of the mirror which should be very similar although I think you can ignore the mid section of the video as there should be no need to remove the whole unit like this guy did.

When I put the skull cap on like this guy I had to smack the two sides to get the minute gap to close.
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
Thank you very much TG. Video made it look a lot simpler than it first appears. Ironically further down the list of videos was a Honda Fit having it's indicator being replaced.
It did show me that the 2009/2013 fit interior appears to be the same as the Jazz. So all in all your help has given me the confidence to do the job and also clarified something that I have been trying to find out.
So once again thank you. :-X

Tags:

anything