Author Topic: Service and mot  (Read 1775 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Service and mot
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »
Hi,
Just put my 2011 CVT jazz in for service and not plus transmission fluid change. Quoted £339, not too bad. Needs new front discs and pads £317, air con service £99, pollen filter £51.OUCH. sod the pollen filter, the honda one was only 20 squid 2 years ago, I'll  bite the bullet and have the rest done, 2 years to the next service probably won't  be at honda,
Chris

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Service and mot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
Hi,
Just put my 2011 CVT jazz in for service and not plus transmission fluid change. Quoted £339, not too bad. Needs new front discs and pads £317, air con service £99, pollen filter £51.OUCH. sod the pollen filter, the honda one was only 20 squid 2 years ago, I'll  bite the bullet and have the rest done, 2 years to the next service probably won't  be at honda,
Chris
Sorry if I'm too late but you should be able to get brakes and aircon done elsewherefor about half of the figures quoted.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »
Wow,  last front discs and pads for wifes Jazz MK2 from Eurocarparts cost just over £100 in total for for 2 x Eicher discs and 4x Brembo pads...

Fitting was free - ( courtesy of myself ) I learned the lesson on Jazz rear discs and pads after going through 2 sets of discs and pads in 4 years from new ( discs literally rusted away and in the process ruined the pads )  - the Eicher rear discs with Brembo pads are fine after 3 years.... seems OEM are not always the best value.   So now have Eicher and Brembo all round.

Use them on Civic as well - try Opie Oils for aircon cabin filter they do Denso,  Mahle and Bosch - been using Opie for years for oil, engine air and cabin filters - as well as oil unless Halfords have it on special..

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/f/100263/32673/2011/passenger-compartment-air-filter.aspx
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:43:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 12:43:00 PM »
Pollen filter still is about £20.

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-pollen-filter-2009-2015/

Very easy to do yourself in about 5 minutes!

chrisv

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 12:58:35 PM »
Filter already ordered from cos (£25), takes about 5 mins, if I take the car elsewhere for the brakes it will fail the mot I've  booked, can't  win. Car is running well, no problems only 66,000 miles, next service will probably be elsewhere

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »
Hi,
Chris
Sorry if I'm too late but you should be able to get brakes and aircon done elsewherefor about half of the figures quoted.
My 2009 Jazz i-shift (78,000-miles) just had a full service, MoT, new rear discs/pads, brake fluid change, oil change and all new filters for £283.18...which I thought was pretty good. 

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »
Pollen filter still is about £20.

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-pollen-filter-2009-2015/

Very easy to do yourself in about 5 minutes!

Genuine Denso filter ( Denso probably made the aircon system for Jazz ) £12 inc delivery from Opie
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:10:06 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 07:02:21 PM »
Yes you will always find prices cheaper at independent but it's done now so enjoy. No point worrying about it.

As for Pollen filter, I use Mann Frecious Plus which is a top of the range. From eBay is about £16.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
I would say most dealerships give advice to their customers which include service items with an organge or red item for attention, its a good way of earning £.
Why not ask around locally for any recommended independant garages where you can talk about the service /mot beforehand.
These places have kept going in a tough market without a/c showrooms/customer seating areas/ and "free drinks", most likely run by someone who knows the value of customer service.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 09:52:10 AM »
I would say most dealerships give advice to their customers which include service items with an organge or red item for attention, its a good way of earning £.
Why not ask around locally for any recommended independant garages where you can talk about the service /mot beforehand.
These places have kept going in a tough market without a/c showrooms/customer seating areas/ and "free drinks", most likely run by someone who knows the value of customer service.
I must admit my local Honda dealer  (Western Honda) were very fair with me. When I bought my car it still had two years of service plan left. On the second year I booked the car in for service and MOT . They did the service first then gave me a phone to say that they would have to fail the car on corroded rear discs and quoted me about £300. They didn't quibble when I said I would take the car elsewhere to get brakes and MOT done. I lost about £5 on  MOT with service offer but saved about £150 on discs and pads.
Best of all I found an independent garage I felt I could trust.
As 123 Drive says "No point in worrying about it."

PS. It's worth pointing out that you can have MOT done 1 month before due date. It's worth getting MOT done early so that you have plenty time to sort out any problems.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:59:27 AM by JimSh »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »
PS. It's worth pointing out that you can have MOT done 1 month before due date. It's worth getting MOT done early so that you have plenty time to sort out any problems.

An early MOT is a bit of a double edged sword. If you get it done a month early, you haven't really got a month to fix any problems, once they are recorded on the system. Whilst you still have a valid MOT, you may still be driving an unroadworthy vehicle, which is an offence. If you get a pull, plod will know exactly where to look, as it will be flagged up on a MOT check.

Once you have a MOT fail, you should correct any 'major' defects immediately, or stop using the vehicle. However, you can then drive your car again and get it retested at your own convenience, with out worrying about driving without an MOT - at least until your existing MOT runs out.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »

An early MOT is a bit of a double edged sword. If you get it done a month early, you haven't really got a month to fix any problems, once they are recorded on the system. Whilst you still have a valid MOT, you may still be driving an unroadworthy vehicle, which is an offence. If you get a pull, plod will know exactly where to look, as it will be flagged up on a MOT check.

Once you have a MOT fail, you should correct any 'major' defects immediately, or stop using the vehicle. However, you can then drive your car again and get it retested at your own convenience, with out worrying about driving without an MOT - at least until your existing MOT runs out.
Thanks for your reply. I did not mean to imply that you could continue to drive the car as normal but that it would give you time to buy and fit parts or phone around for best offers for repair without being hassled into unnecessary expense.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:53:32 PM by JimSh »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
I did not mean to imply that you could continue to drive the car as normal but that it would give you time to buy and fit parts or phone around for best offers for repair without being hassled into unnecessary expense.

Indeed. Whether you get a test early or not though, it still means that you have to crack on with any repairs that are required, if you intend to continue using the car until the existing test runs out - which most people do.

I generally aim for a MOT 1-2 weeks before expiry. It's the best compromise for me, giving a couple more weeks grace, but enough time to sort out any major surprises.

guest4871

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 07:03:11 PM »
This sets out the rules in a fairly straight forward way.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Tags:

anything