Author Topic: Torque Lite vs Car Scanner ELM OBD2  (Read 9425 times)

BigRon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
Re: Torque Lite vs Car Scanner ELM OBD2
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »
Go into Vehicle Settings and set the fuel tank capacity to 40 (default is 50) then look for Fuel Line Input in the sensor list. When I first started using it, apparently there was 45 litres in the tank.

I was working on the data from a journey today and the "fuel gauge" ranged from 22 to 36.8 litres. Took an average of 41 readings and plotted that, still ranges between 30.5 and 34.5. When the car is not moving you do get a stable reading, comparing the Honda fuel gauge is reading much higher I think than the Car Scanner (Honda has lost 3 bars Car Scanner is down to around 31 litres) not down the maths for the bar count.

Regards the 0.1 second interval I have contacted the app developer to see if this can be changed but he has not come back yet, but I think the issues is app is may be looking at all the available sensors and not just in my case the six I have set in the page I am using.

If you manage to write a simple data pre-processing program could you let me know as I would be interested.

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 07:32:20 PM »
You can export the data from car scanner as a .csv file which can then be imported into a spreadsheet.
Go into Data recording, press and hold the file you want to export, select export, select csv #2 and then choose where you want to save the file or you can email to wherever you want to send it.

One of the parameters I am looking at is "Fuel Line Input" aka Fuel Tank Level, on 3 journeys today the logged fuel level on the move ranged from 22.0 litres to 36.8 litres.
I had figured out the CSV export but didn't like the 0.1 second data interval. I would need to write a simple data pre-processing program to turn the 0.1s into bigger intervals to make the data more manageable. At the moment the Car Scanner graphs provide enough info.

I was also looking for the fuel gauge data as I would have liked a better estimate of the gauge value before I refilled the tank. Since I couldn't see anything obvious I didn't pursue this but it would be good to know what tank capacity range one segment on the fuel gauge represents.

To setup a fuel gauge go into Vehicle Settings and set the fuel tank capacity to 40 (default is 50) then look for Fuel Line Input in the sensor list. When I first started using it, apparently there was 45 litres in the tank.

See the attached JPEG files one is one from car scanner showing fuel gauge data plotted out, the other two are the data from car scanner processed through Excel and Powerpoint to give the JPEG files. I averaged groups of 41 data points and used the middle time marker of each group.

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 07:35:22 PM »
Here is the car scanner JPEG

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 11:45:51 PM »
Can you post a link to the app in play store please?

I'm not sure im installing the correct app.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 12:42:46 AM »
Can you post a link to the app in play store please?

I'm not sure im installing the correct app.

Go into Google Play Store and type in Car Scanner, see attached screenshot for the correct app.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 01:11:08 PM »
Car Scanner does log data and I am pretty sure most of them do, not sure exactly what you can do with it since I am not interested in collecting data and analysing it.

Since car scanner is free and I think with no time limit, you only have to live with the adverts although £3.69 shouldn't break the bank.

If you do get left everyone how you get on, an ODDII will cost you anything from £5.00 to £20.00 and upwards.

I’ve tried car scanner, and it’s impressive. I think it uses US Gallons on the MPG calculations though. Still not sure. But it records data really well. I’ve just used it for a few trips so far, but I’m curious to find out how accurate it’s MPG computations are. Easily the best OBD2 App I’ve used to date.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/car-scanner-elm-obd2/id1259933623

My Jazz: 2004 CVT

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 02:56:57 PM »

[/quote]
I’ve tried car scanner, and it’s impressive. I think it uses US Gallons on the MPG calculations though. Still not sure. But it records data really well. I’ve just used it for a few trips so far, but I’m curious to find out how accurate it’s MPG computations are. Easily the best OBD2 App I’ve used to date.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/car-scanner-elm-obd2/id1259933623
[/quote]

Open car scanner. In the startup window top right hand corner is a fuel pump icon and a cog (settings) icon.
Tap settings icon, select Interface & Units, scroll down and there you can select various parameter setting e.g. US gallons/Imperial gallons etc.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 08:58:24 AM »
Thanks! Got it. My MPG on carscanner is lower than the Dino by about 20 percent. I’ve set my engine size as 1.3 and 4 cylinder. Is there anything else that needs setting that could influence MPG?

Perhaps I Just need to record A lot more trips to calibrate the settings to get it more accurate.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
Not sure, possibly fuel tank capacity default is 50L.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 08:09:24 PM »
If anyone used and OBDLink adapter (I'm using the LX adapter), the standard "OBDlink" app works very well too.
I'm able to read:
Speed
Coolant temp
Engine rpm
Engine calculated load
SOC
HV voltage
HV current

I already logged several trips in different driving conditions, and put the data on an excel file.
I'm trying to put the data on a chart, anyone can suggest something?

@John Ratsey do not trust too much the OBD adapter for measuring the 12V battery, the measurement is done by the adapter itself, and the quality of the components changes a lot between different adapters.

Yusaku79

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Ex 2021
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »
In my other cars I always used dash command tool and I worked great, here where could I found the OBD port?
Honda Jazz EX 2021 "Ruby"

Mark Dirac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 4 2021
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2022, 05:30:56 PM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions here.

In the app "Car Scanner ELM OBD2", which "Connection profile" should I choose. ("Honda Fit GK3" doesn't seem to work fully.)

Can anyone recommend a £10 to £20ish OBD2 bluetooth adapter that works with the Jazz and with the app "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" please. I gather that picking a compatible (and low-cost) adapter is awkward, because of fake adapters flooding the market.

I have tried the below "Torque" adapter. But I cannot read many values, eg battery current charge and discharge. So I don't know if I have the wrong "connection profile" or a dodgy Chinese adapter, or both?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torque-Pro-Elm-327-Bluetooth/dp/B01AC7I7BO/ref=asc_df_B01AC7I7BO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310668964056&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3088605360543807250&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006567&hvtargid=pla-592196470004&psc=1

guest11413

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 01:57:46 PM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions here.

In the app "Car Scanner ELM OBD2", which "Connection profile" should I choose. ("Honda Fit GK3" doesn't seem to work fully.)

Can anyone recommend a £10 to £20ish OBD2 bluetooth adapter that works with the Jazz and with the app "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" please. I gather that picking a compatible (and low-cost) adapter is awkward, because of fake adapters flooding the market.

I have tried the below "Torque" adapter. But I cannot read many values, eg battery current charge and discharge. So I don't know if I have the wrong "connection profile" or a dodgy Chinese adapter, or both?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torque-Pro-Elm-327-Bluetooth/dp/B01AC7I7BO/ref=asc_df_B01AC7I7BO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310668964056&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3088605360543807250&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006567&hvtargid=pla-592196470004&psc=1
I used Honda/Acura hybrids

guest11413

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 02:01:41 PM »
Interesting
Car scanner when set to show fuel in tank in % stops reading after reaching 92%, (in car setting I set 40l tank)
And GOM starts recalculate km to empty after reaching same 92-91% of tank capacity

Tags: